2 questions about hips and clouds

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mantra, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

i have only 2 questions

1) about the hip , can it block a program to acess to the net ?
    i know there is smart security
    i don't talk about firewall rules but only to block it

2)about clouds
    where is this feauture?

thanks
    cheers

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Probably there is a better way to prevent an app from getting connected than avoiding it from running with the "start another application" operation. I would recommend creating a firewall rule instead.

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

1. HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System) - monitors processes, files and registry keys on your computer for any attempts to negatively affect your computer and blocks or prevents any attempts. I don't believe HIPS will block any files from accessing the net since it's purely "host-based"

2. Cloud-based reputation has been renamed the ESET Live Grid. To quote our user manual:

In the program, you can locate this feature by going into the Advanced Setup, expanding 'Tools' and selecting 'ESET Live Grid'

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

LiveGrid: it is the already known sophisticated threat tracking system, now improved thanks to reputation services.

5. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

With the default settings, HIPS enabled, Automatic Mode with Rules, I notice there are no rules, are these cloud based rules, or? I'm not sure what rules it's working with..

6. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

It's very mysterious what the default setting.

No one really seems able to explain how the HIPS works with this setting ("Operations are enabled, except pre-defined rules that protect your system")

Where are the pre-defined-rules?

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik. They are hidden, and they are setup by the developers. The users can't access or modify them. And they will be improved overtime via module updates.

8. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

This means that the user might have a warning if a HIPS to predefined rules blocking anything?

If so, ESET should specify the type of message and how the user must respond.

-------------------------------

I understand that the system is well protected by the default setting of HIPS. Correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.