2 is greater then 10

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Come on people. I still see members posting thier "setups" :blink: with a total of about 10 security applications. Please wake up, this was the method required 3 years ago. It isnt needed anymore as about all malware products have closed the gap on total detection. Honestly, 2 good solid apps is really all you need and your computer will love you for it.;)

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i just settle with 2 malware defender+defensewall:thumb:

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Okay,

When you promiss to keep change setup less than 2 times a week

Regards

Kees

4. risl

risl Registered Member

If you are over securing the computer with numerous different security software, they will simply act as a "legal malware". Slowing down your computer for a good purpose and making everyday use difficult or troublesome.

People aren't talking anymore about keeping the OS up to date, having the antivirus up to date and having themselves educated. Instead they talk about how many different type of "approaches", "layers", "counter-measures", "barriers" or other bull*hit they have.

My thoughts: if processes of your security armada is over 25% of your total number of processes after a reboot, you might want to think again. Is my computer there for security software or is the security software there for my computer?

5. philby

philby Registered Member

Think he's using Reset rather than Eset?

:D

Trjam: I agree with you entirely...:cool:

philby

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Will do, if, you promise to keep your ruleset from changing more then 2 times in a week.;)

7. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I think SBIE and Avira PE is all I ever need but I'm using OA pro with it and a couple of scanners just in case. I have SBIE and Avira PE setup on one pc and it never gets infected. So I agree 100% 2 is better than 10. :thumb:

I might just go back to SBIE and Avira PE on all my computers!

Ice

8. Kees1958

Well let's see who keeps up this promise the longest, I will stick with the one below for at least a month.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Game on!:cautious:

10. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

I'm in also. Comodo Internet Security. Let's see who will use it the longest...

eXPerience

11. gery

gery Registered Member

well i think you are right. but i already got infected with this distressful idea of having tons of licences and i can not stand the temptation of changing sometimes twice a day. I mean only AV an Fw or Suites
    i don't like having more than one app in my machine for each AV and FW

12. Kees1958

That is an easy one, Trjam and I don't use CIS, so you win before even starting.

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If we're going to play this game, my base setup (SSM, Kerio 2.1.5, Proxomitron) hasn't changed since 2005, not including version numbers. I prefer 3 single purpose apps instead of 2.

The 10+ security apps represents on a different security policy. Use up all the processor time, system resources, memory, etc. There won't be any system left to run the malware.:rolleyes:

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If my memory serves me right, what happened to your using Sandboxie back in May.:)

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I totally agree with you buddy, 2 is more than enough.

16. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

One realtime AM, a HIPS and possibly a sandbox or light virtualisation app with a good backup is all that is needed. Windows firewall is fine - particuarly Vista and 7 if you are behind a NAT router.

No harm in having another full AM for on demand - if you want - but if you use one of the top 3-4 AMs, its not really needed.

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

ROFL

I've thought this very same thing since I joined this site. There's either people running too many security apps,or they have so many rules set up,you might think they were securing their computers against a nuclear war.

18. arran

arran Registered Member

I agree 10 is too much. But 2 can also be to light, or not enough. I don't think its possible for just 2 to cover all basic AREAS.

I have 4 running.

Malware Defender
    Shadow Defender
    Admuncher
    Look n stop.

They each play a vital role in my setup If I were to remove 1 or 2 of them then it would open up security holes.

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

True.
    More doesn't mean safer.
    But less can mean more.:)

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Peeps are still looking for the golden bullet of security. Using a suite, is that different than using 5 stand-alones? Using 5 stand-alones to cover the bases, or using 2, leaving what holes left to cover? Willing to forfeit admin rights for limited user, or not. Willing to learn how to configure security tools, or want default protection out of the box.

Seems the peeps here who change much or use multiple layers are all doing the same thing.. searching for the solution. LUA type approach might be the crux of the answer, but how many, even here, really want to use that?

Searching.. always searching for the lightest, easiest, strongest, least expensive answer we are.

Sul.

21. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

I agree 1 or 2 is good enough. Might as well use Microsoft Forefront it basically does everything guarantee you won't get any malware.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yep, my PC is for security software. :D

23. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

1 is greater than 2

24. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I am testing SandBoxie on a 2K unit as an additional layer of isolation for the attack surface. Haven't decided if I'll add it to my regular 2K unit or not. That testbox is also protected by my usual 3 apps.

25. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I did the 4 & 6 programs at the same time thing for awhile, but not anymore 2 or 3 is my limit now. No conflicts and no waiting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.