2 gyg Memory In Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dionisiog, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

Hi,

I recently bought 1gyg 3200 memory ram for my Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop.

It installed without a hitch and I was left with my 2 wimpy 128 mg memory ram modules. Hmmm. It was irresistable. I tried dropping one of the 128 mg memory modules back into the remaining open slot. It registered in bias and also registered when I booted up (Home XP Sp2). My computer ran flawlessly.

Problem? No. Except that to my information My computer is supposed to have a limitation of 1gyg ram. This leaves me wondering if some of my bias and flash upgrades (from Intel website) have allowed my computer to handle more than the 1 gyg limit. Of course having installed the 128 mg I am thinking... why not one more 1 gyg ram module instead?

So here are the questions:
    Does anyone have experience with this issue?
    If memory is installed in a computer and it properly registers, and the computer appears to operate properly, is that installation probably acceptable to the unit?
    Does anyone have experience with installing memory above 1 gyg in a Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop?

Thanks for your view.

Dionisio

PS: Please excuse my inadvertent posting of this item under software instead of hardware related issues.

2. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Why don't you go to crucial.com and download this tool called Memory Advisor.It will give you a good idea of what ram you can use and how much.:D

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi dionisiog,

Crucial's astute explanation. Edgetechcorp list's a 1g max supplied with the Intel 845GL chipset, 2g's under the PE.

GF

4. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

Very Nice Reply.

However, another viewer of your information was kind enough to point out an oversight that we both missed:

The link that you offered as "PE" and which shows a 2gyg capacity is actually for a DELL Dimension 1100 and not a DELL Inspiron 1100 Laptop Computer.

Darn!

Nevertheless that was some very interesting information to read and I appreciate your reply.

Thank You Much. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.