2 configuration questions

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jaygo, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaygo

jaygo Registered Member

Hi,

I have some NOD32 config questions.

1. In the "actions" tab for the NOD32 on-demand scanner page, when the drop down is used to select "Operating memory", why does Blackspear's extra settings recommend "no action"? That doesn't sound pro-active. In contrast, the "in-depth analysis" settings have this parameter set to "prompt". Just curious.

2. On the profiles tab, if the "default" button is not grayed out, for any particular Profile showing, does that automatically mean that I do not have the default settings for that Profile? I could uninstall and reinstall to answer this question but was hoping someone has already thought of this issue, hence my posting now Nella

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well since you brought it up, let me continue. I have a license but it isnt installed but that isnt the point. Why is it that 95 percent of Nod users have their settings set up by blackspears. Now that figure is a guess but if these settings are the most logical, why are they not the defaults. I just dont think it is right, that in order to order this product, and use it to its FULL potential that I need to find, this site and his recomendations. That is crap. I know and agree that Eset will say you are well protected with the default settings but my god, even in google it will lead you to blackspears settings. Something just isnt right with this. I am glad, he can make a product better, but in all fairness to him, he shouldnt have to.

3. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Lots of Antiviruses have extra settings that aren't installed by default and have to be set up by the user, two other big players Antivir and Bitdefender to name just two that the heuristics are not active by default. Enabling extra settings can cause an increase in false positives and other minor problems (they may not be minor for an inexperienced user) which is why AV companies give more experienced users the choice of tweaking their AV.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Enabling extra settings can cause an increase in false positives and other minor problems (they may not be minor for an inexperienced user) which is why AV companies give more experienced users the choice of tweaking their AV.
    And where in his settings does it say this. The way Eset and blackspears present it, is that his recomendations are the only way to get the product to perform at its best ability, minus your statement above. And to me, that is a bias that has controversy written all over it.

5. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I agree that the Advanced Heuristics IMHO should be on by default, but enabling "potentially dangerous applications" can cause false postives e.g. "process.exe", and I don't think this should be on by default. Let the users choose whether or not to turn it on.

I don't see why nod32 should be singled out, as like I said other 'big' AV's with heuristics don't even have them switched on at all when you install by default, whereas nod32 does have standard 'heuristics' enabled in AMON, just not the 'Advanced Heuristics', and with the on-demand scan if you click "in-depth analysis" all the settings are maxed-out, so even without Blackspears settings you still have some of the best protection out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
  6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree, but the way it is, is the way it is. Judge the product on the intial download, not the suggested. And please dont get me wrong, blackspears is a valued asset for this product. And no one can knock him on his valued assistance. But the majority of users or owners are like me, uneducated. That is why NIS and Mcafee continue to stay on top. User friendly.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And advance heuristics, still doesnt find that much.

8. Suggers

Suggers Guest

You have no way of knowing this, because the Advanced Heuristics also assist in identifying variants of known threats and generic detections, not just the "newHeur_PE" flag. So even when something looks like it has been detected as a variant of a known threat the AH may have been invovled.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, something about all my locked files says differently.

10. Suggers

Suggers Guest

o_O
    The Advanced Heuristics don't have anything to do with locked files as far as Im aware.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It doesnt, it is just a personal thing with me.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Because a prompt simply does not have nay further action available anyway, so why annoy a user with a stopped scan, instead let it continue and then they can ask for assistance in such an instance.

This button allows you to reset the profile you have chosen to “Default settings”. I’m not sure if I have ever seen it greyed out indicating that such a profile is no longer using default settings.

Cheers :D

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would suggest that the percentage would be closer to 2.5% than 95%

We have asked for a button that would make such settings in version 3. From what I understand the default settings are aimed more towards the corporate environment and speed of scanning. My settings are designed for maximum settings, as in everything available ticked, as well as maximum safety – quarantine of everything before cleaning or deleting, as well the settings are designed for maximum automation with the least amount of user interaction, basically I want NOD32 to do it’s job and silently sit in the background doing so.

Cheers :D

14. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

One of the big reasons I enjoy Nod32 so much, the level of configuration. I'm like you, tired of all those virus messages when I get bored late night and want to try and infect myself. :p (I wish I were kidding, but I really do that :(, had a good time with virus buster last night ;) ) But if you're not like me, you can always configure it another way. Not many allow that kind of configuration. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.