2.5 question

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Gauthreau, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Since moderators have closed the other thread without answering the question, I'll ask again:

Is there something really wrong with the program? I ask because I have just installed it on a notebook I'll be taking with me on a trip to Russia in a few days. I've read all the posts on how wonderful the Beta version is, and all the glowing remarks it got, but I'm wondering if I should just stick with the official version instead?

That's not asking, when will the new program be out, that's not asking point me to the other threads that have been closed (because they don't answer the question). I'm asking were there problems that I should be concerned about, or if I should just go back to the official release and forgo the benefits availible in the new version?

Neil

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I had used the last version for as long as it had been out without a single problem. The beta release is just that, a beta...meaning it is still getting the kinks worked out of it. It is available for users to try out the new features and so those of us that sell it and support it can get aquainted with it before it is launched into full distribution. If you want to try out the Beta...that is your personal preference. I use it and have no problems. If you are unsure, stick with the older version until the beta is released as a final.

the Choice is yours :)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it depends on how comfortable u feel with using beta software. either version will give u great detection while using very little resources. for me, i frequesntly use beta software unless its giving me major issues.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Neil,

Have you noted any serious issues raised here? I haven't. I have seen some problems of a cosmetic nature with some video cards, but that's it. No functional problems. I've been using the beta for some time on two PC's. No problems.

As far as Eset providing detailed commentary on this, should a vendor feel compelled to publically explain, in detail, every internal business matter to the customer base and their competitors who can read it at their leisure? Effectively, that is precisely what you are asking them to do. I personally don't think that is a reasonable expectation. Beta software is provided with specific qualifiers and warnings. It is not recommended for mission critical or production uses.

As a user, you are in control here. If you feel uncomfortable using what is already installed on your PC and, I guess, working fine, then roll back to the current official release. The fact of the matter is that many businesses simply do not run any new release until some initial field impressions are back - regardless of what it is and who makes it. Further, whenever I go on extended national or international travel, I don't go tweaking and reloading new software on my machine since I won't have a support infrastructure around me. This approach has served me well many years.

Finally, I realize that the new version has some additional features. Which of these features are critical for you to have during this trip? Until you answer that question, or at least articulate it here for comment, any specific advice to you will be offered without a substantive basis.

Blue

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Can you tell me more about this? Not that I see any problems, but I'd like to know, please :)

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Post number 43 and onwards discusses this. ;) :D

Cheers :D

7. BlueZannetti

Firecat,

Note - these aren't problems I've experienced. I've only noted them in the threads in this forum. Coincidently, I happen to use the same video platform and driver system with no issues. Example posts are here and here. I'm sure there are others if you look. Like I said, cosmetic.

Blue

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

ok I got it. Lucky me, no problems here :D

9. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Thanks for all the answers! Finally I get answers! :).

Blue,

You have pointed out my fears in international travel and new software. I agree and am concerned about support availible to me when I'm gone. No I haven't noticed posts concerning major problems with the Beta, but as the release date came and went, I was just a little concerned with a problem that may be known about, but not discussed here as of yet. At the same time, because of all the positive posts about 2.5 I thought I may give it a shot as it seems stable.

I'm not asking for Eset to lay out every issue they have with the new version (I wouldn't understand the technical parts anyway), but if I could get a heads up on problems I may face, well, I could use all I could get.

Thanks for all the rationally thought out replies. I knew discussion could be had.

Neil

10. BlueZannetti

Neil,

Here's my conservative recommendation: if you go with the beta, place an install copy of the normal release on you laptop so that it's available to be switched out. Grab it that day before or day of your departure. Have your username and password information safely stored elsewhere (I happen to keep a running tally of these things in Excel). If you run into problems, uninstall the beta, reboot, delete all Eset related folders (C:\Program Files\Eset and related subfolders), install the alternate version. This way you have both versions if needed. Problem solved.

Regards,

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.