$2,278.73 Gateway PC should come with Documentation!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Pretender, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

$2,278.73 Gateway PC should come with Documentation!
    I would like to hear from anyone that has recently purchased a PC from Gateway, Dell, or some other big tech company. I purchased a new one and received it on 10/28/04. There was NO Documentation whatsoever that came with it. No manual, no itemized shipping or inventory lists showing parts and support options paid for, no specification sheets, no instructions for the use of keyboard or system. I may be a bit old fashioned, but I expect this sort of paperwork to come with a purchase of this type. Did you receive paperwork for a recent purchase of a new computer when you got the computer?

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yup i got inventory specs software packages a huge manual
    a cleaning guide warenty and a thing for website suport in case i ran into trouble and a phone number to call for live tech support

my pc was i think 600 or 700 dollers

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried calling Gateway to see what their response is?

Cheers :D

4. Pretender

I have called, emailed, and chatted online with them. At first, they were going to send and then......they started saying that they don't send a manual or any other documentation out any longer. Can't swallow that one!!!

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i never would go with gateway anymore

you can make a better pc then the one you got for the money you spent even haveing some one else built it

gateway sucks

i rather have universal parts then gateway specific parts

i learnd that the hard way

i rather have a pc i can take to anyshop and have re fited or rebuilt or upgraded then one where they say sorry thats gateway for you any upgradeing or parts you need you have to go threw them lol

that sucks

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

An invoice specifying what you have received should be provided, or at the minimum the invoice should state “as per quotation”. As to further documentation, I would suggest that it is a thing of the past, I haven't seen it for many years now...

Cheers :D

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In your other post here you bought a Gateway profile 5XL C. I recomended to contact the manafacture about the absents of paperwork. Now in this new thread you ask the same question, I am curious as to what the outcome was from that thread.

8. Pretender

The outcome of the other thread is here. I called, emailed, and chatted with Gateway. Nothing thus far!

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

mail them a dead road kill skunk, works everytime :D ;)

10. Pretender

Great Idea!!!!! If nothing else.........I'm going to keep Gateway occupied with having to respond and, perhaps, I'll even see them in court. Perhaps you could ask them about this for me? At say:

email@gateway.com

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I would be happy too. This is ridiculous. :mad:

What kind of company sells u something with no documentation?

When i got my Dell, i recieved an instructional guide the size of a soft cover novel.:eek:

Very shoddy practices.....

Go get em Pretender.

snowbound

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  12. Pretender

I sent a letter to the main Gateway headquarters in Sioux City, SD today and sent a cc: to the Attorney General's Office in Pierre, SD. I said that I didn't agree with the Terms of Sale or the Terms of Warranty as provided by Gateway. I, also, said that I had requested an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) Kit many times and haven't received one yet. It's in their ball park at the moment as I believe I have the bases covered at my end.

13. Pretender

Wanted to let everyone know that (as of today) I have received every penny ($2,278.73) back from Gateway. There are ways to beat the big boys! Nice way to start the New Year and I hope yours' starts on a very good note also!

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Good show Pretender. :D

Persistence, more times than not, does pay off. ;)

Best to u in 2005. :cool:

snowbound

15. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Party Time...

:eek: :D ;)

Attached Files:

16. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

(from BJ)
    I don't mean this to be insulting, but I think they saw you coming. The wife and I just got a new "EMachine" for christmas that came with everything.

17. Pretender

I don't know if they saw me coming, but I'm sure that they are glad to see me going lol.

18. SendItBack

SendItBack Guest

Just send it back. The whole stinking thing. Cancel the credit card bill and when Gateway asks why tell 'em to look in their manual.

19. Pretender

I did send it back. I used a debit card which could not be cancelled. I like your Gateway manual comment lol.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I purchased a top of the line Dell Dimension 8300 one year ago. I did get a paper manual. I did not get an invoice and was informed by customer service that they no longer send invoices!

According to some posters in the Dell forums Dell, with the current 8400 Dimensions, no longer sends a paper manual.

I got no paper manual (or any sort of instructions on paper) regarding my top of the line 19" flat panel LCD digital monitor. With my first Dell, the Trinitron came with a huge paper manual. I did get a CD with the help file and troubleshooting for the new LCD monitor. Only problem was it was useless because I could not get the monitor to work so that I could insert the CD and use its troubleshooting steps. I had no idea what the four buttons on the right lower corner did. I had to call Dell and was on hold for over three hours and was then told I had called the home tech support number and because I had bought from Small Business (first Dell was home department) I had to call their tech support number. Dell didn't bother to send me the number for Small Business support along with the new computer. The Home tech gave me the number, then transferred me and I got disconnected. I called the number and it was a dead number. I couldn't call customer service as they were closed. I called the only number I had for tech support (home) back. Long wait again. Again told they cannot help me and was told the number the first tech gave me was not the correct number for small business support. I was given another number.

After another wait (but mercifully only 30 minutes this time), I finally got a tech who quickly ascertained that the monitor was DOA and arranged to send another. That one was also defective although it would run but only in test mode and again I was unable to read the manual for it with the troubleshooting steps because that is on a CD rather than a paper manual. I was send a third monitor. It had a power supply problem. I was sent a fourth and assured by a senior Dell tech that Dell would seriously consider my feedback that there needed to be some sort of instructions and troubleshooting regarding the monitor on paper. Ha! Instead, it appears Dell isn't even sending a paper manual for the system now much less any paper instructions for the monitor (except for a confusing chart about hooking it up).

As for my warranty, Dell and I disagree on it and I have nothing in writing. Dell says I misinterpreted what their special deal was concerning buying the extended warranty at their site. It was confusing wording so it could be interpreted in more than one way.

I've become disgusted with all the OEMs.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I did too. Now I build my own computer the way I like it.

If you can't do that, have one built locally. Support will always be right around the corner.

No more proprietary computers for me.

22. Primrose

So what did you then finally purchase to replace your need for a new system? Did you get all the manuals etc. that you wanted ?

$2,278.73 was too much to pay in any case for a home System ..even that one you ordered..Many good deals out there..locally I am sure where you live and from other manufactures.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Too much? Huh? My Dell XP Pro at 3.0 GhZ, 1024 RAM hyperthreading cost $2,228.85. The 19" flat panel digital LCD is part of the purchase. That also includes $69 for the APC UPS, 3 year next business day in home repair warranty (third year free via rebate), MS Works Suite 2003, shipping of $121 (of which Dell later refunded $75) and Hawaii excise tax of $89.02. I got a great deal. I had two coupons - one for 15% off the entire purchase and then another for 10% off the entire purchase and I was able to stack them because I bought on the internet. Couldn't do that over the phone. So I saved $620.17 with the coupons. I still didn't get everything I wanted. I took an inferior video card as I wanted the ATI but it was $200 more than the nVidia I got.

I'll never be able to purchase another computer anywhere near as nice as this one (I had two relatives who helped this one time plus instead of replacing my tv two years ago when it died I saved the money for this computer) so I wanted just once to have a nice one. (But I sure wish I had the better video card) as mine is pathetic on 3DMark ver.5 benchmarks. Nice computers are expensive. I don't see how you can claim otherwise.

No one here is building computers locally any longer unless you do it your self or get a friend to do it and then you get no decent warranty and certainly poor tech support (and what if the friend moves)...much worse than Dell support. I think having one built locally is a stupid idea and so does everyone else and that is why those places stopped doing it. Everyone buys Dells here.

24. jxkruzzn

jxkruzzn Guest

It would seem living in Hawaii, that you would get a better deal from Sanyo? Japan is closer and their new computers are the bomb, why not them?

Dell is just not all it is cracked up to be and heaven help you if you buy using their financing!! Hope you didn't have to!

Building your own computer with parts from reputable companies is like having alot more tech support from different places, they all want repeat business, but, it is not for everyone, agreed.

25. Primrose

I am not going to rant anyone who wants documentation..already had that discussion with CalGal4PCs over at the Haven

Please try to defend MS on this

http://computerhaven.info/forum/tm.aspx?m=1928&mpage=1

I do not like hard copy manuals..period :D But I do know that for Pretender or Zenith ;) for what he did purchase from Gateway...he could have gotten all he want and more online from their site on that model..including a 3.5Meg .pdf manual and Spec..and.. and.. CD's are so handy. ;)

Total Cost: $2,139.98
    No customization changes
    Replaces: Profile 5XL
    Available At:
    Gateway $2,139.98

Note: Gateway itself is the only source for new, customized Gateway computers. Thus, it is the only option available here.

See Also: Gateway Profile 5X-C, Gateway Profile 5S-C
    The Profile 5XL-C is a configurable computer, which means it can be customized to fit your needs. The features listed below are just the standard ones. Use the ExactChoice Recommender to define your needs, and then you can see the best-matching features for this and other computers.
    Where is this computer's rating?
    Processor Advice

Intel Pentium 4 (3.20GHz, 512K L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    This processor is suited to today's high-performance needs, including intensive gaming, technical/scientific computing, and professional-quality image, audio, and video editing. For people who don't need high performance now, it will provide nice-to-have extra power over the next few years, when processor-intensive multimedia will be increasingly common in Web sites and other forms of computing. "3.20GHz" is the processor's clock speed; "512K L2 Cache" refers to the size of the Level 2 Cache, a special memory unit close to the processor's chip; and "800MHz FSB" refers to the front-side bus speed, a measure of how fast the processor and the main memory communicate. Also included is hyperthreading (HT), a technology that allows the processor to act as if it is more than one processor. HT can allow more efficient use of computing power when the processor is at full throttle. All these factors, and a few others, affect overall performance.
    Memory Advice

512MB DDR SDRAM (400MHz, 2 modules)
    This amount of memory is good for power users. Its type, DDR SDRAM, and speed, 400 MHz, are what we'd expect. The fact that it comes in two 256 MB modules reduces the cost but it leaves you less room to add more memory later.
    Hard Drive Advice

160GB (7200RPM, UATA/100, 8MB Cache)
    160 gigabytes is a massive amount of storage space. (For perspective, see "What Can Fit into 10 Gigabytes?") "7200 RPM" means the drive's disc makes 7,200 rotations per minute, which is normal for this size of drive. "UATA/100" (Ultra Advanced Technology Attachment) is the drive's interface, which is normal. Finally, "8MB Cache" refers to a type of memory the drive maintains to speed the flow of data between it and the computer's CPU. An 8-megabyte cache is a relatively large one, which is good.
    CD/DVD Drive Advice

DVD±RW
    This all-in-one drive allows reading and writing of both DVDs and CDs. For DVDs, where two different rewriteable DVD standards exist, this drive handles them both—a great feature.
    Display Advice

19 inch Flat Panel (1280x1024, .294pp, integrated)
    This display is 19 inches on the diagonal. "1280x1024" is the display's native resolution, in pixels. These dimensions allow for spacious windows in Web browsing and productivity programs. ".294pp" refers to pixel pitch, a measure of the display's sharpness, which in this case is just standard. "Integrated" means the display is integrated with the case of the computer.
    Dimensions Advice

18.7 x 16.9 x 7.4 inches

Productivity Software Advice

Microsoft Works Suite
    Microsoft Works is Microsoft's home-oriented productivity package. It includes software for word processing, personal finance, an address book, an encyclopedia, a photo-editing program, and a street atlas. The word processor is Microsoft Word from the popular Microsoft Office suite. Otherwise, the programs are different from those in Microsoft Office.
    Audio Card Advice

Integrated Audio (2 channel)
    "Integrated audio" refers to audio circuitry that is integrated with the computer's main hardware, as opposed to being part of a separate sound card. Integrating allows the computer to deliver very good sound with relatively little extra cost. While it does not have the audiophile sound quality and features of a high-end sound card, this form of integrated audio is fine for delivering basic stereo ("2-channel") sound through desktop speakers. However, if the integrated-audio circuity fails, you may be looking at replacing the motherboard rather than a single card.
    Video Card Advice

Integrated Intel Extreme 3D Graphics 2
    Despite the name, the 3D graphics here are relatively weak. That said, it's a perfectly good, low-cost solution for everyday computing. You'll only notice the shortcomings if you're into 3D gaming or other forms of 3D-graphics software. "Integrated" means that it is actually not a card but rather has the hardware integrated with the computer's main board. This situation can be good in that it saves an expansion slot for something else. However, if the integrated graphics circuity fails, you may be looking at replacing the motherboard rather than a single card.
    Warranty Advice

3 Year Mail-In (Custom option, $139.99)
    This is a three-year limited warranty, during which time the manufacturer will fix or replace defects. If it is necessary to have the computer fixed by the manufacturer, you will need to ship it back to the manufacturer. Typically, the manufacturer pays the shipping.
    Operating System Advice

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Compared to previous consumer versions of Windows like Windows 95, 98, and ME, Windows XP Home Edition is far more stable, easier to use, and better able to support devices like wireless cards, digital cameras, and MP3 players. It also includes programs for Web browsing; email; instant messaging; and playing CDs, MP3s, and other audio and video files. The main difference between XP Home Edition and XP Professional is the latter's ability to participate in corporate networks and to allow various remote administration functions.
    Keyboard Advice

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Bundle (USB)
    This bundle combines a relatively fancy keyboard and fancy mouse, both of which operate wirelessly. That means you can position the keyboard or mouse wherever they are most comfortable, without needing to worry about the wires. Along with the usual set of computer-keyboard keys, the keyboard includes various special keys for multimedia and launching programs. The mouse is optical, which means it tracks better than a traditional (mechanical) mouse. The mouse and keyboard communicate wirelessly with a small base unit that plugs into a USB port on the computer. Because the mouse and keyboard have no wires, they both require a battery.
    Mouse Advice

Wireless Optical Mouse for Keyboard/Mouse Bundle (USB)
    This wireless optical mouse comes with a wireless keyboard, delivering a premium combination of input devices.
    Network Adapter Advice

Gigabit Ethernet (unknown interface)
    Gigabit Ethernet is the newest generation of Ethernet, with up to 1 gigabit per second of bandwidth. The manufacturer did not provide information on whether this is a PCI card or whether it is integrated with the computer's main board. For most people, 10/100 Ethernet is already far faster than their Internet connections, so upgrading to Gigabit Ethernet will not speed-up Internet access. Thus, this feature is for those who have Gigabit Ethernet local-area networks or those who expect to have some form of faster-than-100-megabit connection within the next several years.
    Wireless Network Adapter Advice

None

Floppy Drive Advice

3.5 inch Floppy Drive
    This is an industry-standard floppy drive, capable of reading and writing floppy disks with capacities up to 1.44 megabytes. Although floppy drives are starting to disappear as standard options on some computers, floppies are often still worth having for emergencies, quick backups, and to read existing floppy diskettes from your past.
    Expansion Slot(s) Advice

1 PCMCIA ("PC Card")
    This computer has a single PCMCIA (also known as "PC Card") expansion slot—the standard expansion slot for notebook computers and some small-form-factor desktops. It accepts cards for networking, audio, and other add-in functionality. (For those who care, PCMCIA stands for Personal Computer Memory Card International Association, or as the industry joke goes, People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms.)
    USB Port(s) Advice

6 USB ports (2 front, 4 rear, version 2.0)
    USB is now the primary way for connecting most types of peripherals to computers. This configuration—four ports in the back and two in the front—is common on desktop computers. It provides plenty of ports for most people's needs. The purpose of having two front ports is to make them more readily available for connecting portable devices. "Version 2.0" refers to the speed of the ports, which in this case is the latest and fastest.
    Parallel Port(s) Advice

1 Parallel port
    A parallel port is a traditional connector, typically used by printers. Network connections and newer ports, such as USB, have largely superseded the parallel port, but it does not hurt to have one.
    PS/2 Port(s) Advice

2 PS/2 ports
    A PS/2 port traditionally is used for connecting either a mouse or keyboard to the computer. This computer has two PS/2 ports. However, PS/2 ports are becoming less important because many keyboards and mice now use USB (Universal Serial Bus) ports.
    Serial Port(s) Advice

1 Serial Port
    A serial port is a traditional connector, once used primarily by modems and other small peripherals. Today's far-faster USB ports are superseding the serial port, but it does not hurt to have one.
    Firewire Port(s) Advice

None

Personal Video Recorder Advice

None

Zenith

Thanks for replying. I contacted gateway and they say that they're going to send out the documentation. The system is a $2,000 plus system. Hard to understand why they couldn't get it right the first time. Anyhow I hope they get it right this time.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=172100

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=52626

User Guides Home
    Profile 5
    Gateway Profile 5/5.5 User Guide
    Profile 5.0 Specifications
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Setup Guide

Networking
    Networking Basics

http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/Profile/Profile5/Profile5.shtml

Profile 5 XL Performance 19-Inch Pro
    Part number 2900082

What type of information would you like?
    Driver Downloads
    Support Documents
    FAQs
    How To Install Drivers and Software
    Upgrade Information
    Product Views
    Components
    Specifications
    User Guides 3.5Meg .pdf

http://support.gateway.com/s/Profile/Profile5/3501740/2900082nv.shtml

User Guides
    Part number 2900082

8509443 - Gateway Profile 5 Specifications
    Gateway Profile 5/5.5 User Guide
    Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Setup Guide

http://support.gateway.com/s/Profile/profile5/3501740/2900082ul.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.