2.12 Issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by tazdevl, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Finding that with 2.12 downloads aren't initiating correctly. First noticed it trying to download the latest HL2 movie from fileshack.

Here's another example.

http://download.ewido.net/ewido-setup.exe

Not getting the Windows save dialog for many downloads, however IMON systray shows download completes.

If I disable IMON the download starts up just fine.

Also wireless connection has gotten flakey since installing 2.12. Seems to randomly die. Have to reboot to get it back, repairing it doesn't work. Saw same thing in 2.11b, but it didn't happen as often.. Running WPA, dunno of it's the group key refresh that's causing the problems, but it began with the installation of 2.12. Might have something to do with IMON and monitoring of Network Config Changes.

Forgot to mention I still get an occasional application/.exe error. Same problem I had in 2.11b.

Running XP SP2, ZA Pro 4.5, SpySweeper 3.0 on a fresh OS install. All these issues began with the installation of 2.12.

Looks like 2.12 needs more time in the oven before it's released to the masses.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  2. iwod

iwod Registered Member

doesn't other AV offer similar function as well. HTTP scanning?

So why have i so far only heard NOD32 causing problem but not others like KAV?

3. Pete_x

Pete_x Guest

iwod do you know what beta means when the final is out in september we will see there wont be as many bugs or conflicts with other apps.

4. tazdevl

As Pete said, iwod... beta is a term used for software products that aren't ready to be released but have hit a certain acceptable level of stability internally.

Companies allow adventurous people to download copies to see how the product does in the wild. Regardless how big their internal test group is, there is no way that they can accurately simulate all the different permutations people have which is why they have an external beta.

Products typically go from alpha (generally internal company people test it) to internal beta (set test group uses the software) to external beta (where NOD32 currently is) to release/production.

5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi TAZ
    I just saw your post with the d/l ...good constructive feedback, so I decided to follow your method to see if I get the same thing.
    I am NOT disagreeing with you, just testing, so please do not misunderstand my rationale.....if we can pinpoint a problem...then we can notify ESET so that they can look into fixing the bug.
    Also have Beta 2.12, but OS is W2k (not sure if that makes a difference) with IE 6.

Here's another example.

http://download.ewido.net/ewido-setup.exe

Not getting the Windows save dialog for many downloads, however IMON systray shows download completes.
    ENDQUOTE
    I clicked on the link, and I got the windows download...saved it....when it was finished I closed the Windows doanload box and what was left on the screen was the original URL, but it was blank (strange).

Also wireless connection has gotten flakey since installing 2.12. Seems to randomly die. Have to reboot to get it back, repairing it doesn't work. Saw same thing in 2.11b, but it didn't happen as often.. Running WPA, dunno of it's the group key refresh that's causing the problems, but it began with the installation of 2.12. Might have something to do with IMON and monitoring of Network Config Changes.
    ENDQUOTE
    I can't follow you here as I have no wireless connection, maybe someone else can re-create that and test it.

QOUTE
    Forgot to mention I still get an occasional application/.exe error. Same problem I had in 2.11b.
    ENDQUOTE
    Would you be able to supply the name of the application ao I can test it.

As I said before...not trying to disprove, but to substantiate so ESET can fix, after all it is beta.
    I hope that this is not interpreted as "stepping on your toes" or "stealing your thunder" Taz....no offense intended or implied.

Cheers :)

6. tazdevl

Not a problem at all. Glad you're trying it out. Only reason why I put this up was to provide Eset feedback on the beta and so others could pipe in.

I think the fact that things are inconsistently consistent is a bad sign. That means it's difficult to pin things down to a specific component, though I would bet that the culprit of all the problems is IMON since things seem to work just fine with it disabled.

Application errors are .exe errors mentioned in Blackspear's lsass thread, one's I've seen... trillian.exe, iexplore, ie acrobat plugin.... good news is that I haven't seen a svchost or lsass error. If I uninstall the beta, problems go away and I never see the errors.

If you truly want to test things out, you need to have XP Pro SP2 XP Pro, ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 and SpySweeper 3.0.129 along with the beta. However, including info about your setup is helpful. With SP2 being installed, maybe this is a XP specific issue since you aren't experiencing the issues on 2K.

7. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Yes i understand what is Beta. I think most people care about security and had reached this place means they do have some knowledge in computer.

What i am trying to say is Downloading is now like part of our life, everything from programs , news, email or HTML needs to be downloaded. I would hate to think some downloads not work because of NOD32. Anyway i hope i new beta would be out soon so i could test as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.