2.06 beta 1 bug in Win98SE

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cajack, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cajack

cajack Registered Member

Hi. I've recently discovered Look'n'stop and have been trying the latest version on Windows 98SE. I think I'm experiencing a bug.

In the Application Filtering tab, in the 'List of active applications' box, programs are never removed even if they are shut down. And it seems that every new connection gets another copy added. For example, with one copy of my browser open and browsing for a bit, I end up with over 100 Firefox's in the list of active applications. Other software which I've started and closed a few times are all there multiple times even though that software is not running at the moment.

I'm guessing this would also screw up the 'only active rule when the following applications are active' stuff in advanced ruleset options.

I'm having to close and reopen look'n'stop quite often now to clear it up.

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi cajack,

Yes, I confirm this issue.
    It is specific to Win9x/Me versions of Windows.

I've created a patch to fix it, here is the link:
    http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/2.06b1/LNSFW1.VXD

Just put this file in c:\windows\system (replacing the previous one) and reboot the computer.

Frederic

3. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hello Frederic,
    Does it make sense at all to update LnS on Win9x machines? Most of the new features are only for WinXP or Vista. I am still using a two year old version 2.05....

Is there any benefit from updating LnS to the latest 2.06 on Win9x systems?

Thank you,
    Thomas

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Thomas,

All changes/fixes related to the application (looknstop.exe) are supported under Win9x/Me, so if you need one of these changes, yes there is some benefit to update to the 2.06 version.

At the driver level, the changes that are supported are:
    - the extension of the number of rules
    - the new interface plugin for raw rules edition (offering more possibilities)

But if you are satisfactory with the current 2.05 version, then probably you don't need to update.

One point though: the change in the regisration system. If you need to reinstall a Win9x/Me PC, then it would be better to use the 2.06 to get a new serial based on the email address.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.