1Tetra wester digital or seagate,which drive would you buy?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i would like to buy a 1Tetra hard disk internal

which drive would you buy?

i know nothing about hard disk
    i guess they are trusty but i know nothing else

thanks

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i own both a seagate and WD drive, ive been running a 500gb Seagate in my system for about 3 years without any probs and recently got a WD drive for my external hard drive thats working great as well, but tbh u shuld be fine with either brand at least in my experience.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no problem :)

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I prefer Seagate because every WD drive I've ever had has died in 1-2 years, where as I've had legacy systems running Seagate drives to this date from 1993-94, and WD has always given me trouble with returns too. I just have had better experience with Seagate personally, maybe its just the cases I've run into, but every WD drive I've had has ended up failing pre-maturely.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I guess there is a question of luck because I have the exact opposite experience. My last Seagate died after 1 and half year...Now I have 2x WD since three years and no problems so far...

It's like cars, some people have bad experience with GM, some with Chrysler and some even with BMW.:doubt:

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

My experience with WD has been very positive. I have external portables that are 5 years old and running strong, I alswo have 2 terabyte externals that have been in use for over 2 years and not a single problem.

8. Dr33

Dr33 Registered Member

I have good experience with both brands i even toasted one of my WD drives with wrong voltage and lucky i had another drive bought same day so it matched the PCB and i unsoldered the U12 chip and swap it and the disk was running again :cool:

i have also one seagate of 4.3 gigas that its working flawless :argh:

my current disk is a seagate 1 TB and is working perfect

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

seagate

seagate st31000528as

after 4 hours:'( :'( :'( :'(

Attached Files:

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

like mine after 4 hours ?
    brand new

12. linuxforall

Last year a Seagate 1TB quit on me just a month after its 3 year warranty was over, from day one it ran hot and noisy and compared to my 2TB Samsnug Spinpoint, it was slower as well. OTOH, I got two IBM SCSI 15k still doing duty after seven years so go figure.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

recycled materials

made in china with recycled materials and i paid it €90 122$ !!

14. linuxforall

Re: recycled materials

I wish you had gone for the Samsung instead.

15. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Without knowing the exact models under consideration, and assuming everything else is equal (same size buffer, similar performance specs) go for the one with the longest warranty and regardless the choice, put a viable backup plan in place.

16. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Re: recycled materials

Facts:
    1. Seagate has demonstrated lower quality firmware production the last two years or more.
    2. There is and there will be a % of HDs that will fail for every manufacturer. Since they all follow almost the same construction standards, the construction quality is almost the same.

My experience: I have stopped buying Seagate drives for the known firmware issues and the way they handled the whole issue. Companies have to pay for their errors and the best way is to not buy their products.
    These last two years I buy WD for storage and Samsung + Hitachi as boot drives.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I remember last year Seagate having some problem with their 1TB OR 2TB hard disks, so i would go for WD just for now :D

Both are excellent it's your choice.

18. bgoodman4

Thats excellent advice.

19. linuxforall

Along with performance, operating temps are important issue for longevity of the drive, go for one which runs the coolest, also pay that extra bit and get Enterprise rated RAID drives, they usually are made to higher standards and have more warranty.

20. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

My favorite for SAS is still Seagate Cheetah. For SATA, it's WD RE3. If you're running RAID, DO NOT use consumer drives with error correction; they may fail prematurely.

21. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

After a bad experience with some Seagate HDDs a year or two ago, now I buy only WD or Hitachi. Both have worked very reliably for me.

Ironically, one of the most reliable HDDs that I've seen has been a 6-7 year old IDE 40GB Samsung in a relative's PC; despite the ridiculous amounts of abuse thrown at it: bad operating temps, lots of dust, several startup/shutdown cycles a day, unstable power etc, it's never hiccuped even once.:ninja:

22. bgoodman4

I guess its like having a bad experience at a restaurant,,,,,,,despite having enjoyed eating there many times in the past one bad experience and you never go back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.