129 out of 134 DAA's WebChoices Opt-Out are Temporarily Unavailable

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by zapjb, Apr 17, 2018.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

129 out of 134 DAA's WebChoices Opt-Outs are Temporarily Unavailable.

TOTAL BS! And as usual NO CONSEQUENCES.

http://optout.aboutads.info/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

OK, what is that thing?

It shows nothing for me. Because I delete all cookies when Firefox closes. And I only accept third-party cookies from sites that I've visited (in the current session, obviously).

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It seems like you have to stay on the page a few seconds before things start happening.

4. mirimir

OK, I clicked through, and let it do its thing. And get mostly "Status Unavailable", and the rest "No". Probably because I have no cookies for them to work with.

But damn. Somehow the idea of saying "I opt out" to ~140 ad pushers seems pointless, and indeed counterproductive.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I think removing cookies is more important than opting out, but I think there could be a way by adding opt-out cookies at the proxy level.

6. mirimir

Yeah, I guess. I can't help seeing opt-out requests as just providing additional information to the jerks. So I'd rather focus on being less trackable. And having them track a bunch of unrelated personas. I mean, what does tracking Mirimir get them?

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Cant get anywhere on your link Zap. uMatrix blocks it and TBB says I need javascript.

I've always said Opt out is one of the most useless cumbersome wastes of time there is. Consider the latest facebook debacle dog and pony show - even though it's not news that FB tracks you everywhere on the web with those tracking pixels, like buttons etc what made Zuckerberg really squirm big time was at the mention that FB tracks people whether they've had a FB account or not. Apparently his solution to OPT out of all this and delete what they've gathered on you over the years - join FB to do it. So the stupid OPT OUT model IS providing additional info and sites that track you when you never go to their sites ARE jerks.

8. parrington

parrington Registered Member

I solved this problem with both NAI and DAA's opt-out privacy pages, and my solution is simple -- and counter-intuitive. Thpse websites don't work if you have tracking plug-ins or lists already installed.

To make this work on IE11, I temporarily disabled my add-ons (like Google analytics & cookie opt-out) and EasyList tracking protection, and changed browser privacy to allow 3rd-party cookies. Erased my cookie cache, and loaded both sites. Now almost all the sites report "No" instead of "Opt-Out Temporarily Unavailable", except for a few companies. When you're done signing up for similar opt-out sites, re-enable your add-ons and tracking lists, and revert policy. The only reason I figured this out (ahem) was the Canadian copy of DAA has some vague FAQ answer that talks about disabling browser protections, and it kinda makes sense why 129 of 134 check boxes would fail at the same time. I'm also posting here because Google seems to make this forum the top search result, and if other people run into this stupidness.

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

TY @parrington

Welcome to Wilders. Look around & stick around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.