100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jmbolanos, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmbolanos

jmbolanos Registered Member

I have noticed since updating to v4 of the antivirus, that my two core processor is running at 100% on both cores in cycles every few minutes, freezing the pc when it happens - even when idle. I have temporarily deactivated the antivirus and the cores drop to 0% when idle.

Is this peculiar to me or is this a known issue?

Thanks for your help in advance.

J.

ESET NOD32 antivirus 4.0.437.0
    Virus database signature 4095 (200905021)

Vista Ultimate SP1 (all updates installed)
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6700@2.66 Ghz
    3070 MB RAM

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest checking the last scanned file in Protection status -> Statistics -> Scanned object (with Antivirus and antispyware protection selected in the drop-down menu).

If the number of scanned files is continually growing and the last file name remains same or appears too frequently, try excluding it from scanning to see if it makes a difference.

3. jmbolanos

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I followed your advice and noticed that the virus scanner was causing the maximum cpu usage and peaking when scanning several very large .rar files I had in a desktop folder. I have removed these files from the desktop and the peaking has stopped.

Thanks again.

J

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Archives are only scanned by the on-demand scanner. Do you mean that you had a scan running when you noticed the cpu peaks?

5. jmbolanos

This was happening EVERY time the PC booted up and I had this issue for almost 1/2 hour after start-up. I had all the settings as default - exactly as it installed.

When I was looking at the window you suggested previously, the number of scanned items was increasing so a scan did seem to be in progress.

J

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Did you change the default on access scanner to scan archives?

7. jmbolanos

I'm not quite sure what option that would be or where I could change it. I haven't changed any setting at all but I had about 8 .rar files each weighing in at 95 MB on the desktop and each time there was a peak, the peak lasted for about 8 seconds, the file being scanned was a .rar file then it would drop and the scanning would continue until the next .rar file and so on, but repeating constantly. Is this useful?

Thanks.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.