1 year license = $29.95 = Bullshit....

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by oldtima, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldtima

oldtima Registered Member

I think that is ridiculous to charge an extra $10 for a 1yr license.

I respect this software and that money goes to better the product and pay the well deserving developers of this product. But if a 2yr license costs $39.95, basically 40 bucks and you divide that by 2 to find out how much you're paying each year, that is going to equal 20 bucks.

My question then is:
    Why don't they change the the 1yr license to $19.95 respectively? I'm not going to give them an extra $10 for nothing.

Opinions?

I know this is better than buying the expensive Norton Antivirus solutions and such out there but I just don't like something little like that not being addressed.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Think of it in reverse: a one-year license costs $29.95 so getting a two-year license at $39.95 saves you ~$20.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Like WSFuser says.
    The more you buy, the less one expects to pay per unit (year license in this case).

4. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

To the OP: as others have said, many products offer a reduced price with a longer buy-in option.

That said, I smell a troll - the OP has two posts so far, and by reading both, offers nothing constructive; rather, foul language has a detrimental effect towards professionalism and common courtesy on this Forum.
    Pure flamebait.:thumbd:

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Then don't buy, end of story. Volume scaling is typical of almost any subscription based product/service, this situation is by no means unique or uncommon.

Blue

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You usually multiply the one year licence by the number of years, Ewido appreciates you are buying a multi year licence and not a one year licence. Therefore Ewido grants you a discount of $20.00 on a two year licence.

7. oldtima

oldtima Registered Member

I don't know really if it's that I'm that out of touch w/ software pricing these days or what really. But I'm not usually the type of person to stick w/ 2 yr contracts even w/ cell providers (yes, they charge an outrageous $200-300 early cancel fee that Ewido does not... :D).

All thoughts appreciated, btw. Kind of moot now I know, but does anyone know if the 1 yr license was cheaper before the merger?

Now man, calm down. I barely saw there was a forum for Ewido and posted my thoughts and questions. Two separate unrelated ideas constitute for 2 different threads, do they not? I'm a pretty organized person that way.

2nd as for my foul/dirty mouth, we're all grown here & as long as it's indirectly used and not aimed at another and not used every other word a gazillion times. Have the foresight to see that it's not being maliciously used. Come on, now. I don't know how many people here watch sports (b/c posting on forums and knowing about Ewido automatically classifies us as nerds...) but I cuss a lil storm while watching them and so do the fans in the actual arena believe it or not. Anyway, when I can watch MTV/BET btw and hear them explicitly say 'bitch' a couple times w/o any censors.... I rest my case. Please do not start the profanity thing with me. It's 2007 and you're back in the 60's when they used to cut off a pinky for that (exaggerating, yes I know). Especially now (2007) where we're about to place contraceptives in elementary schools, you're arguing about my commonly used and accepted profanity on a forum.... *Sigh*

Anyway, that 2nd thread, I couldn't find a contact address for AVG-AS to ask to correct the download text nitpick and to see if they could at least keep the 'current' Ewido def. update version current until they stop supporting it at the end of this year. I'm on dial-up and can't download the full def. (which is hopefully updated) and runs about 7 MB.

As far as being constructive, I think the other issue speaks for itself whether you appreciate it or not. And this issue was based on principle, the fair thing. I still don't see why an extra $10 is tacked on other than to make you buy a 2 yr license as everyone is admitting. I'm not starting a war about it you know. ;)

Coolblue, it's water under the bridge. Never been a troll. Will never be a troll. If I was I would've probably gotten on that 'Unlimited license' fiasco and so on. But I didn't.

Hakuna matata, my friend.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  8. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

OK, first of all, it's been noted that products and service prices, in general, decline with a longer buy-in option; it's an incentive for customers. Whether you want to compare it to cellular service is your choice; to me, it's apples vs. oranges.

Secondly, that it's 2007 doesn't excuse the cause of using profanity. It's use has a detrimental effect on a civil and (hopefully) professional forum, and contributes further to the "dumbing down" effect of society. The fact that American "culture" has deteriorated to the point for you to point to the examples you've used for justification only illustrates the lack of character and respect that is all becoming far too commonplace. This is a security forum, not a sporting event or MTV, and just because others may choose to show their crude behavior doesn't justify its use.

I'm not sure if you actually believe that most people in 2007 use profanity in public, but where the world's population is most concentrated (and many other countries as well), it's not only frowned upon, but there is also action taken - and sometimes with drastic physical results. You may choose to call it "living in the 60s", but I prefer to think of it as culture less susceptible to the corrosive effects of barbarism. Civilization would definitely be taking a step in the wrong direction if everyone followed your "2007 is OK" scenario, and I'm satisfied to know most people don't.

If you have an issue (or two) with Ewido, that's your business, but try to respect the idea of common courtesy - not only for it being a vendor's support forum, but also Wilders Forum and for the people who choose to read it. It may take more effort to be civil, but I hope you find it also reflects on your character and how others perceive you. Whether profane comments are directed at a company or a person makes absolutely no difference. Self-restraint takes effort.

9. btman

btman Registered Member

Lol, it's not like Ewido is the only company to do this..

10. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Obviously paying for a longer period is almost always appreciated by the provider, no matter what product or service it is. Be it a cell-phone operator or e.g. ski-lift cards, pre-paid cards for concerts or your typical fitness center. And if you look at milk or juice in 1 or 2 liter packaging in your nearest store, you will probably notice the same ;)
    Also, please, consider the fixed costs for each transaction.... (payment portal, processing fees, potential delivery of the product/CD ....)

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I just buy a product or not as I determine if it a good buy or not. If I don't like the price I just go to another product.
    Why not just not buy it, and buy some other application or even a freebie. A raging rant will not change the company's pricing policy.

As for language, I am always offended by cursing. FWIW I once worked on construction, and am an old soldier so I have not been very sheltered, but I much prefer the language I would use in front of my mother. I do not watch TV or any other programs where the language includes cursing.

Once people respected others, and did not curse or use vulgarity among mixed company or where someone might offended. How we have changed as a nation.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

I totally agree with you Jerry, and what coolbluewater said that this may be a troll.Fact is on his only 2 threads this poster got a Moderator to respond !As dumb(possibly the dumbest ever on this board) as those threads were,they get a response while legitimate posts with technical problems get NO Response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.