1. TI won't see USB drive 2. TI can't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fish72, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fish72

fish72 Registered Member

Hello :O)

I have 2 problems with the latest TI 9 Home i am using.
    1. The TI doesn't let me choose my external USB2 WD 250GB drive as a drive/partition i can restore my image to. (I want to restore the image on it and then take the disk out of the enclosure to boot it on another computer).
    2. I get this error when i boot TI from CD "Acrontis Loader fatal error: Boot Drive (partition not found).Press [enter] to try and boot from your OS"

I am getting the first problem on an ASUS - VIA PM890 Chipset (Although it's within windows, So i guess it's not an hardware problem).
    The second problems occurs on intel I946 while DVD drive and Hard drive are connected on same IDE cable (Where is only 1 ATA connector on this board).
    I tried 250GB drive and 160GB drive in the 2nd configuration and got same problem. Even tried jumpers in CS mode.....
    Thank you

P.S. Another things :
    1. When i try to boot TI in full mode on the asus board, It freezes before it gets to the main menu.It seems to be an hardware recognition problem (I tried several of these boards and it even give problem on Gigabyte DS4 I965P chipset).
    2. When i boot TI in full mode on the intel 946 board and my usb2 enclosure is connected, It gives me an error trying to read from the USB2 drive....I just cancel it and it goes into the program.....

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Fish, welcome to the Forum :)

Before we attempt to resolve the problem with your USB drive, I would like to address the reason why you are doing this and quote from your post...

If your OS is Windows XP then you should not do that. Firstly, you will be legally in violoation of your EULA unless you first uninstall XP from the first computer, which I assume you don't want to do. Secondly, you will need to reactivate Windows because all the hardware will be different. And lastly, if your version of Windows is an OEM license then you simply cannot do that because OEM licenses are tied to the hardware of their first installation.

If you can clarify your intentions then we can proceed to resolve the problem with your USB drive.

3. fish72

fish72 Registered Member

Well...I have same hardware configuration on 2 computers, And in order to make an "master image" for stability test purposes, I need the feature of restoring image to the USB external drive.Even if i plan to put the drive on the same computer and not on the similiar one.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Fish

I quote from your last post..

That is impossible. Almost every hardware component has a "signature" which XP records in the Registry. So even though from a human perspective you have the "same" hardware configuration on 2 computers, from a computing perspective you have 2 different machines. An XP OEM license is tied to the motherboard, which means that it can be used ONLY on the machine on which it was origianally installed by the OEM vendor. An XP FPP license is not tied to a particular machine and can therefore be installed on any machine providing it is only installed on one machine at a given time.

There is no real practical reason to restore a system image to a USB drive. By default, XP cannot normally (as supplied by Microsoft) boot from a USB drive. There are ways to do this, but you have to be reasonably technically profecient. Even if you do work your way through the technicalities of booting from a USB drive, you will still not be able to boot an OEM license on PC_2 because the OEM license is tied to PC_1

If you tell me exactly what you want to achieve I am sure that I (or another Forum member) will be able to provide you with a workable plan.

5. fish72

fish72 Registered Member

Ok. I want the flexibility to restore an image to an external drive, So there is no need to physically open the computer and to connect the drive to his internal cables.I can buy a HOTSWAP internal drive enclosure, But it is a waste of money.The thing is that i have an OLDER IDE external box, Which acronis DOES let restore an image to a drive connected to it, But it supports only drives up to 120GB....So i just want to continue the options with bigger drives...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Before you pursue the "boot from USB drive" option you may want to read the article at this link....

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

This guy has done a lot of research on the subject and in my view is one of the more knowledgeable persons on USB booting.

Commenting on your last post.... please remember that in a normal PC configuration the System disk is not hot-swappable. Of course if you have a RAID 5 configuration (which is not normal in a home PC) then hot-swapping is possible.

7. fish72

fish72 Registered Member

Thank you tabvla. I hope someone can comment on my questions and answer them.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fish72,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file, which will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report.

Please also clarify what do you mean by "TI doesn't let me choose my external USB2". Is the USB hard drive not visible during the restoration? Make a screen shots of your consequent steps taken during the restoration.

Please recreate Acronis True Image Bootable CD using the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Having collected all the requested information please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.