1% Linux Market Share = 100% Dishonesty..

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by UnknownK, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownK

UnknownK Registered Member

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

On yeah, what an incredibly relevant issue to moan about. :rolleyes: Linux cheerleaders, prepare your torches and pitchforks. In this thread, a " judgement " of those that don't believe Linux has 2% of the market share instead of 1%, is likely to begin.

~ Removed Copyrighted Image ~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Thus spoke Windows fanboi......btw Pixar uses LINUX, of course its just a small company. Google uses LINUX, now thats just an obscure company anyways, who cares. :D No one is moaning, Windows is groaning, roaring, frothing and foaming. Linux has no market share at all, its a useless joke used by losers living in basements.

4. UnknownK

It mayn't be relevant for a windows cheerleader like you.I don't believe this netmarketshare data.. Its relevent for me and so I posted a question. ~ Off Topic Comment Removed ~
    Read this
    http://www.autotelic.com/windows_is_free

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. Should bashing continue, this thread will be closed. Its future is in your hands.

6. Wild Hunter

"For every 400 million Windows or Mac users on the planet there are four or five Linux users swearing blind (mostly because they can't see through their unruly facial hair) that Linux is the greatest computer operating system known to man. The Linux fanboy is usually a solitary beast, but often surfaces with some anti-corporate nonsense when Mac and Windows users are having a private conversation about a proper OS. When the Linux fanboy isn't sticking his face where it's not wanted, he's busy catfighting with other Linux users because none of them can decide whether Ubuntu, Chromium, Yggdrasil or some other brand of pointless, super-niche Linux distribution is the flavour of the ponytailed month." :D

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/the-7-worst-fanboy-groups-on-the-internet-50006292/

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just a neutral comment here. WH, what's the point of your posts here? The OP posted with good intent. Is there really any need to inflame things and get the thread closed?

8. UnknownK

Don't close this thread. Someone wants to hijack the thread and closing the thread will be misson accomplised for him.:'(

I think I posted a very relevant question and on topic disscusion should continue.

9. Wild Hunter

Firstly, I don't see any good intent within this thread. Secondly, my point is really simple: this is another "rant-festival" thread about a non-issue and I like to give my opinions and sarcastic remarks about things like this. So the guy who opened the thread can make a decision between stop ranting or ranting even more.

10. linuxforall

Of course not, how can there be Good Intent in open source anyways, all bunch of Godless, evil thieving scums preying on hapless innocent M$. Vanguard for Redmond spoketh ;)

Do remind me this is a Linux thread, not MS. Unless the discussion has to be about Linux, who gives a damn what MS users think or feel. They can go rant on their thread.

11. linuxforall

http://news.efytimes.com/e1/86247/Ubuntu-Adoption-Grew--Per-Cent-In-India-Last-Year

Of course thats India, who cares about that part anyways, and then there is Mongolia, another Godless nation using LINUX. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/ubuntu-on-the-mongol-steppe-carving-paths-into-emerging-markets

Then there is the science and arts communities from Pixar and BBC, WETA all on Ubuntu. Of course the German government, Lufthansa also use open sourcde, so does Spain, Italy and many more, all obscure, no share. NADA.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think it's your job to decide if there's any good intent in this thread. Do you have anything on topic and constructive to post on the original post? If not, why not just pass it by, and let the linux boys have their discussion in peace?

13. Wild Hunter

I said "I see no good intention here", not because of some weird delusion with jobs, but because that's what I think and I exposed what I think regarding this specif matter simply because you tried to oppose my posts here with the justification that the OP in your opinion made this thread with good intention. So again, this thread wasn't made with good intentions from my personal point of view, which again, is being made public not because of some job delusion, but as a personal answer to a commentary from somebody else. As for anything on topic and constructive to post on the original post, feel free to show how it's possible to post on that supposed different direction, instead of giving more weight to my posts (by replying to them) than to the posts of the OP. As for letting some other kind of discussion taking place, that's totally possible to happen, nobody is being forced to read or answer my posts here, as they can be ignored too.

14. UnknownK

I am from India. The article is spot on.. There is an increasing adoption of linux going on..Government is adopting more and more of linux. The good thing is that linux comes preloaded here through OEMs and the cost advantage is huge. But the bad thing is most people just don't get the cost advantage theory as for them windows is already free. Piracy is rampant here..

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep.... :)

16. linuxforall

I teach at univ in India and Manila, all my students who program use Linux and most of them Ubuntu.

17. UnknownK

Here is another good article

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2010/09/debunking-the-1-myth.html

Here's some excerpts from above article-

"Where does the 1% number come from? There are two sources: very old data and web counters. The problem with using web counters to try and ascertain market share is that they generally only include websites that have paid to be counted. That pretty much guarantees that Windows will be overcounted. ars technica recently demonstrated how dramatic the error can be in an article on browser market share. Overall they found the Internet Explorer has just over 60% of the market, Firefox just under 23%, and Chrome a little under 8%. The percentages for ars technica's own website were entirely different with Firefox at just under 38%, Chrome at almost 22% and Internet Explorer a distant fourth at 16.63%. The reason for the discrepancy is fairly obvious: ars technica caters to highly technically literate readers who, in turn, are far more likely to be aware of security issues in IE and far more likely to use Linux or MacOS. Similarly, most Linux and technical websites do not pay to be counted by the web counter companies, which in turn skews numbers wildly in favor of Windows."

If I am not wrong netmarketshare is based on tacking counter data and from thats where this 1% comes from.They use hitslink tracking data and even hitslink is not everywhere in the web. It is present in a tiny fraction of the web and thats where the 1% comes from. I would say the linux share is around 8-10% now..surely greater than 5%.

18. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There is no real counting of Linux desktops (of course, it wouldn't be possible to do that), every number out there is based on statistics. So I wouldn't trust them as being exact numbers, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions that 1% is in fact 5% either...

19. linuxforall

Marketshare and ground realities are totally different beasts, the need comes from demand and affordability, human nature hype aside looks for freebies first than anything else.

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, to be fair, MS users probably feel the same way about Linux users and their rants. In my own opinion, the original poster should have expected a negative response for the title of the thread alone. I've seen hundreds of these go the exact direction this thread is heading because it's basically a "My OS gets unfair treatment and I want the Internet to know" topic. Personally, why would anyone care whatsoever what some graph on the net had to say or statistic on usage or lack thereof? If you're using Linux and you're happy, who cares if it's 1% or 50%? Last, who really cares what any poster on an internet forum has to say? These figures are never going to be dead on, so just use it for information and go on about your business, right? I can believe Linux is on only 1% of the desktops in the world simply because many parts of the world have easy access to and use pirated copies of Windows. That being said, that 1% figure has been used for several years on many statistical graphs. So, I can also believe it's a load of manure :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  21. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

To salvage this thread would require removing almost all replies, hence the closure. Next time use hey mod to flag a post(s) instead of taking it upon yourselves to reply to anything that appears to you like a rant with the one of your own. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.