1-2-3 Spyware Free (anyone try this?)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This looks interesting- freeware, auto updates, realtime protection, fairly large signature database. But no privacy policy and the site has loads of freeware available. Has anyone used it before?

http://smartpctools.com/antispyware/index1.html

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Hi, RogueRemover detects and removes that scanner as of database 166. More info here. It's not in Rogue.NET though.

thanatos

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#123_note

I find it interesting that Malwarebytes and Emsisoft (a-squared) havn't de-listed the application, so it is quite possible that smartpctools has reverted back to their old ways.

4. thanatos_theos

You're maybe right. AFAIK, Spyware Warrior and Malwarebytes work independently. Marcin and Jack have their own set of rules that help them decide whether an application is a rogue or not. These rules keep RogueRemover’s database clean and with integrity. Recently, they limited the inclusion of registry cleaners in the database.

Maybe if SmartPCtools releases a new version of their scanner, Malwarebytes will retest and possibly delist it.

thanatos

5. EliteKiller

6. thanatos_theos

You can send the new installer (if any) to fp[at]emsisoft.com.

thanatos

7. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I hope it wont be removed an remain like this forever.Companies with products like this don't deserve a second chance.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Apparently one to steer clear of.
    I would stay with the more trusted apps, like the ones tested, used and trusted here on Wilders.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

SAS and Spyware Terminator have similar history and SAS is now the top AS product, so in time, it might change. ;)

10. LoneWolf

I am aware of ST's past.
    You say SAS has a tainted past, care to elaborate o_O

11. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

TheTOM_SK - you are absolutely 100% incorrect here - SUPERAntiSpyware has never had any type of sorted past, inappropriate history or anything of the like. Please make sure you have the facts correct before making such statements in a public forum as users may form an opinion based upon these types of statements.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com and SUPERAdBlocker.com (our parent company) have always enjoyed a solid reputation and we don't do anything even close to "shady" or inappropriate.

I realize you are not trying to damage our reputation, but it's important to make sure it is clear SUPERAntiSpyware did nothing like ST/Crawler did in their past.

12. EliteKiller

I agree with SUPERAntiSpy 100%.

13. LoneWolf

Thank you for clearing that up. :D
    Didn't think it was true. o_O

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's almost a given no-brainer too if you READ! the names of products who have had some shady past experience.

For example, the very term CRAWLER doesn't exactly inspire confidence whereas SUPERAntiSpyware makes full use of the term SUPER! described of their product because in comparison with real results, it is everything SUPER that a AS should be.

I don't intend to delimit ST in any way over this, and in fact have used the free version for awhile myself a year ago, but changes made in it's code structure DID cost me a lot of effort to fix due to it's bug at the time when it jumped partitions :cautious: without first asking the user to do that in order to make it's HIPS database. It corrupted my partition housing FD-ISR archives and i since turned attention away from it entirely.

Maybe it was a one time occurance, but IMO, all it takes is one really bad experience to turn a user sour over any product.

15. TairikuOkami

I am sorry, there were many fake AS products with *super* in past, so I may be wrong. Nevertheless, I consider your product to be the best AS around. ;)
    I just wanted to point out, that being listed on "WANTED" table does not mean, that the product can not improve in the future. Though ST does not quite shine.

16. HyperFlow

HyperFlow Registered Member

if there was one anti spy program that could be trusted 110% SAS is it. i have always included it in my fight and refer it to many. if it's there SAS will find it and remove it [FACT] i removed web root in favor of SAS and never regretted 1 min of it. SAS is the #1 true anti-spy imo {thanks for many good out comes SAS}

17. EliteKiller

Besides Super Spyware Remover, what other rogue *super* AS apps are/were out there?

18. TairikuOkami

Sorry, I do not remember. I lost deep interest in anti-apps when I stopped using them a few years ago. :rolleyes:

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Those who are familiar with SUPERAntiSpyware should already know that it's chief architect and developer spares no waste in time addressing issues, concerns, and even gripes! right here in real time.

Give me developers who are so the same enthusiastic in customer support and they win A+ loyalty to customers hands down anytime.

And their products reflect that same energy that the authors guard over their products which make them top notch performers.

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think you mean sordid and not sorted. I don't think the past can be sorted easily. :rolleyes: ;)

21. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

It sounds like the makers of this are trying to capitalize off of PCTools name as well, 'smartpctools.com'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.