0x12016 VSS can't read vol data

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bhcva1, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhcva1

bhcva1 Registered Member

After successfully using Paragon twice I can no longer do backups. I have tried two different hard drives and both end (after more than an hour) with the 0x12016 error. Paragon did a surface analysis on one and reported no problems...actually did not report so I assumed everything was ok. The drives are used to copy files to and have never been a problem.

Is there an underlying problem here with VSS?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Bruce

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Your hard drive could contain bad blocks, please run the chkdsk /r to schedule a check disk to run on the next reboot and reboot your machine. This will attempt to recover any bad sectors.

3. ronnotsoo

ronnotsoo Registered Member

I have a similar problem. Just installed backup and Recovery 10.1. Looks like a nice product, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried backing up my C drive (used the wizard) three times now and I keep getting this same error. Once it failed at about 81%, the next two times at 93%. It does create an archive but I am unsure of its integrity due to the error code. I read the suggestion to run CHKDSK, which I have done (on both the target and the source drives). No bad sectors were found.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, C: is a 1TB drive and the back drive is a 2TB WD USB drive. I was able to backup my data using WD tools to this drive, I was also to use Windows 7 Backup. Both took way too long to run. 36 hours for WD and at least 72 for Windows, hence my hope that there is a better tool out there. Paragon runs much faster (4-5 hours) but apparently has never finished the job?

Appreciate any help you can offer!

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

If your backup is failing during the backup, it's due to bad sectors on the hard drive. Run the check disk again but with the /r parameter: chkdsk /r c:

You might have to repeat this a couple of times until you receive no errors.

Finally, if you're not able to complete within Windows, boot to the recovery CD and perform the backup from outside of Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.