0 byte large files in Acronis Explorer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tamahome, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamahome

Tamahome Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this, but I couldn't imagine, that I did something wrong.
    But when I open my Archive-File in Windows Explorer, each file has Filesize 0 byte. That can't be, because the Archive-File has the correct filesize. Also when I copy one of those Files from this Archive-Explorer to another location on my "real" harddisk, the file is empty.

Here how I made my backup:
    - Created a Backup-Store (don't know the exactly name in english) with the only limitation that files should be removed after 30 days
    - Created a Task which backups a Directory recursivly (about 300 MB) to this Backup-Store differential, each 7th backup full! (no password, high compression, no splitting or something like this)
    - Started the Task once
    - Task completed successfully
    - Opened the Archive-File with Windows Explorer.... 0 byte each file

I use:
    - Windows XP SP2 (up-to-date)
    - Acronis True Image 10.0 Home (build 4.942)

All Disks work without problems.

Ah... before I forget!!
    I'm able to restore the files within Acronis... but I have to restore everything (because there is no selection or something like this).
    The Archive-Browser integrated in Acronis also don't work (doesn't open the Archive File)

Hmmm... something else...?
    No, I think that was it.

Uh... one thing.
    I created a Backup of a Partion.... there I can see the correct filesize.
    Tried allready to remove/reinstall Acronis. Without success.

Please help!

Tamahome

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: 0 byte large files in Arconis Explorer

Hello Tamahome,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that as explained in chapter 12 "Exploring archives and mounting images" of the respective User's Guide, files/filders backups cannot be mounted, only explored.

Please notice that you can restore separate files or folders from a backup/image. Please see chapter 6.2 "Restoring files and folders from file archives" for detailed instructions.

Could you please post a screenshot of the window with 0 byte sized files?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Tamahome

Hello and Thanks for the quick response :)

My english isn't the best - I appologize. But I've not tried to mount the backup, only to explore in the Windows Explorer.

That's what I've tried. But the files seem to have 0 byte. And when I use the copy/paste feature of the Windows Explorer to Restore a File from the archive, it also has 0 byte after restoring.

I've posted you a few images. The first one shows the archive-file (you can see there should more then 0 byte files inside ;-) )

http://www.rhse.at/images/acronis/1.gif

There you can the content of the archive... 0 byte :-/
    http://www.rhse.at/images/acronis/2.gif

http://www.rhse.at/images/acronis/3.gif

http://www.rhse.at/images/acronis/4.gif

Once again: I don't have this behaviour when I'm doin' this with a full-partionimage.

And my only way to restore the files is be restoring EVERYTHING of the archive to another folder...

Thanks for your help!

4. Acronis Support

Hello Tamahome,

First of all, please notice that screenshots 2 and 3 are normal. Slices and folders are shown as 0 sized in backups by a small mistake in the interface, which doesn't affect performance in any way.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

Could you please clarify where Acronis Backup Location is created (internal drive, external drive, network share, ets.)?

Please try restoring separate files from the archive following the instructions in chapter 5.2 "Wiederherstellung von Dateien und Verzeichnissen aus Datenarchiven" of the respective User's Guide.
    Could you please create a screenshot?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Tamahome

Thanks again for your quick answer!

Well, I had allready installed the latest Acronis drivers days ago. Nothing changed.

Hmmm... I have no problem with 0-byte-large folders - that's ok for me. But 0-byte-large files are confusing me. It's hard in a restoreprocess to find the right version. But anyway - ok.

It doesn't matter where the backup is created. I've tried it on a USB-Harddrive and on an internal drive (SATA, Raid 1).

Well I've created a new backup-job - quiet simple.
    - Backup from "D:\Daten\CVS" to "C:\CVS.tib" - full, higher Compression, no scheduling, standard options (exept compression).
    - Started the Job - Finished with success.
    - C:\CVS.tib has 332 MB
    - Opening the file in Windows Explorer - each file has 0-byte.
    - Copied one file (where I know it's not empty) from the archive to an restore-folder: 0 byte (copying by Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V)
    - Copied ALL files from the 332 MB large archive to an restore-folder... computer works for a few minutes...after it finished, all files are there... EMPTY!

- Opened the archive within Acronis - now it work's.
    I can open the archive, browse the folders and restored them.
    The files do have the right size - that's very good! :)

But browsing the archivs within the Windows Explorer still doesn't work as it should.

AND: If I set a password then I'm not able to browse the archives in the Windows Explorer. I get a empty window.
    http://www.rhse.at/images/acronis/5.gif

Well, I think I know why... because it's passwordprotected and I've not been asked for a password...but that's not the best solution ;-)

Let me say some final words:
    I love Acronis TrueImage. It's the best product I've ever had. So I hope you can help me bugfixing :)

René

6. Acronis Support

Hello Tamahome,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

It seems that this issue will require a thorough investigation, which is better carried through e-mail. Therefore, could you please collect some information?

- Please replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.