GhostWall v1.000 - Free firewall for Windows XP/XP64/2000

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Jason_R0, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

What is GhostWall?
    GhostWall is a firewall which allows you to restrict the communications between your computer and others. Unlike other firewalls which have forgotten their main role, GhostWall is simply a firewall mainly designed to replace the standard Microsoft firewall with better features and performance.

GhostWall works on Windows XP,XP-64 (x64),2000 and 2003

It is completely free for personal/educational/commercial use.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Screenshot of main interface.

Attached Files:

3. chew

chew Registered Member

How does GhostWall Version 1 compares to others like Tiny, Keiro or Look 'n' Stop?

Input from everyone please ?

:)

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

GhostWall can't really compete with the main "firewalls" on features, and probably never will. If you don't mind the price and the resource impact those "firewalls" have on your system, there is no reason why you shouldn't use them over GhostWall. If you want your firewall to block leaktests and be a complete security package, then you're better off sticking to one of the major ones.

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Sounds great, I'm gonna try it out right away.

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Takes a little time 'mastering' the rule creating/editing, but overall I like it.
    It's not a replacement for my bitguard, but it will do just fine on my other pc which is currently running zonealarm ;)

7. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

using this proggie made my system crash immediately while using the latest build of Opera...not handy.

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

What operating system are you on?

I run the latest version of Opera here fine with the firewall.

9. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Ghostwall is a packet filter, correct?

Does it do application control (ala ZA)? If not, could/should you run it along side ZA free (for app control)?

Thanks for the help. I'll try it tonight.

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Infinity,

No it doesn't do application control, some support for it may come in a future update, but there is no rush for such a thing.

There is no point really running 2 firewalls along side each other. If you have installed ZA and are using that and think its fine, then just keep using that. :)

11. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

What is the purpose of this firewall? Is it an add-on to our actual Firewall? Can it play with other firewall and add real protection of some kind?

I am kind of loss about what is the purpose of this software since I am no expert in Firewall...

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Jason, I am behind a router so only really worry about outbound control which GhostWall appears to do all I that want it to, I use PortExplorer to watch my connections in more detail when necessary.

I was using the old Kerio 2.1.5 which had a few holes but relatively low resource usage, even so I perceive a noticeable improvement in latency although I have not measured it.

There are a couple of things that I do miss, application control though that is not a high priority and a help file which would be handy (To be completed) ;)

Along with RegDefend, ProcessGuard and Nod32 and other measures I feel quite secure :)

Cheers. Pilli

13. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I think a lot of people i know with XP etc who do play games will be very excited about this. Even for the many that don't, a steamlined back to basics FW is what a lot of people have been constantly asking for.

I imagine as the word spreads this will fly out of the server. I can't use it as i don't use XP, but i will DL it and pass it on to others.

I like the way it looks too, very cool, and a very nice easy to view and understand GUI too.

The fact that it's Bi Directional makes it a must have for those wishing to replace the inbuilt Windows one.

The following Specs sound good also.

Packet filtering ability for TCP/UDP/RAW and ICMP.
    64-bit and 32-bit compatible
    Suitable firewall for people who play games and other low latency requirements
    Very Low resource usage
    Minimal impact to network latency due to fast and efficient coding
    Shows network speed for TCP/UDP/RAW and ICMP
    Shows data transfered for TCP/UDP/RAW and ICMP
    Displays 50 last blocked and allowed packets for TCP/UDP/RAW and ICMP
    Panic buttons, to allow all traffic, or to block all traffic

So a big thanks to Jason for developing this and giving it to us for Free. This should also help to raise awareness of his profile etc, and why not !

StevieO

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Hi Jason,

Any chance it supports ICS?

15. Matt.H

Matt.H Registered Member

Jason,

It has been mentioned a few times in this thread that this is "bi-directional" or supports outgoing protection. I am struggling to find this as Google Talk, MSN Messenger and Opera have all been allowed through without a whistle.

Could you confirm this and maybe advise me on how to activate such protection?

Great work, and thanks very much for the effort. I want to watch this one grow.

Take care and TIA,
    Matt

16. Edwin024

Jason: WinXP home edition Dutch.

17. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Matt,

The outbound direction protection (try saying that 5 times :) ) can be activated, but it can only be done on a "port" or "ip" control basis. If you look at the default rules, you will find "Allow all protocols outbound". This is because most people prefer the firewall to pass traffic if any of their applications "initiate" a connection.

You could remove this rule if you wanted, and then just add the rules for the outbound services you want. Like allowing outbound remote port 80 for WWW, outbound port 53 UDP for DNS, outbound port 21 for FTP etc. You could even restrict it further, to allow connections only to certain IP addresses.

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Some advice on configuring it would be appreciated. :D

19. pitstop

pitstop Guest

Hi jason,
    What is a RAW protocol? never heard of that before,or do you mean the raw sockets of windows?

20. yeah right

yeah right Guest

Who knows why outgoing comms are are a free for all? Maybe this firewall is a trojan or malware . . no info on the 'company', not open source . .'hey trust us we're new and have a free exe for you to install, honest it's not like a million other spyware free activex bullshit installs but if we say it's a firewall well trust us everything will be ok and secure despite our company having no public addres or record'
    hmm . .think I'll pass

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yeah_right, As a guest poster you are making indirect insinuations about a developer that is well respected by many in the security community.

Jason's product forums are hosted by Wilders - Do you honestly think that Wilders would host untrusted product forums's on this board?

Either put up or shutup. ;)

Pilli

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I suspect "guest" yeah right and suspicious are the same person.

23. _Lyn_

_Lyn_ Guest

Jason if you don't mind me asking Edwin024 a couple questions:

Was this following Opera8 install that it crashed? Were you connected to the internet when Opera crashed?

Reason i ask is i believe it's the new check for update "feature" that causes Opera8 series to crash on my system. Opera must run at least once before it creates the ../Opera/Profiles folder. This is where the ini resides that i modify to disable autoupdates. So with every new install it will immediately attempt to phone home. When i first install it i 'Block All Traffic' to internet, to prevent this. At random installs Opera will respond by completely shutting down- it just disappears! But it has *never* happened times i allow it internet access. Anyway i certainly wouldn't consider this a Ghostwall problem. But I do consider it an avoidable Opera bug because reading the Opera forums it's apparent the devs choose not to do anything about it. Not really a big deal just something to keep in mind..

-
    Thanks guys for the new free firewall. I'm hardcore 8signs/Visnetic fanatic, but forever trying new apps. I've lurked at wilders for some years being familiar with your reputations so i'm confident it's the beginning of a good thing. I will give certainly it a try on my XP systems.

Lyn

24. Edwin024

I don't know that anymore... I think though that Opera was already installed...

I have now formatted the system and put Opera on and now this small fw again. See what happens :)

Pitty that it doesn't support the Xp security center, but then again: who cares.

EDIT: I deleted the thing again because it again crashed the system. While browsing (in this new and clean system) the pc just went black and restarted... don't want that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  25. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I have found an issue in GhostWall v1.000 that will affect some people. Look for an update soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.