Kaspersky PRO 5 vs Gdata AVK 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rush_, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

heh-heh, since the article is from G-Data, we can expect it to be "G-Data coloured" :)

By any chance, did you read this Computer Bild article from where everything started ?? o_O would be curious to know what they told inside (still hesitating between Avk and Nod32, which I'm enjoying the trial), if there are german readers around.

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I did read the article very fast, noticed there were problems with a lot of firewalls, and that there were some other issues.
    Don't ask me what the remarks are, because I was in a hurry and don't remember me the exact article.

Another problem with Gdata: their support is "mangelhaft" too, just like their product.
    Take a look at german forums and you know what I mean;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've heard that sometimes GDATA takes a long time to reply to emails......but I thought they'd gotten their support fine now :doubt:

But the product itself is "nice". KAV 2006 seems better though :)

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Does this also mean the number of signatures increase by using both sets? If that's the case, GDATA will be using over 360,000, the highest of any of the AV products seen so far.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Thats right, however there is an enormous amount of overlapping = signatures for the same viruses.:)

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Agreed, and one will pick up before the other, whoever is first.

David Emm of Kaspersky Lab UK wrote an interesting article sometime ago about the merits of two-engine AVs, and his conclusion was there were far more disadvantages to using such products even tho the premise of using two engines sounds beneficial.

7. Firecat

Where may I find this article? :)

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Here is the article. It's in .pdf format so you'll need a PDF reader to look over it.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

IMHO you have to replace overlapping by overkill:cool:

10. Firecat

I wouldnt call it overkill.....:doubt:

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

It IS overkill.

There are several important issues you have to consider before you buy an AV, let's take one of the issues: detection rate.

KAV use one engine, Gdata two engines, the Kaspersky engine included.
    Look at the results between KAV and Gdata, and you will see the two "Gdata" engines are not producing a better result then f.e. the one-engine based KAV.

Let's talk about F-Secure AV, it have nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but I will only give your another example.
    F-Secure use three engines, but can't beat Kaspersky with only one engine. (see Don Pelotas comment too, and I agree with him)

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It makes me wonder what it is about Kaspersky's engine that seems to be more superior in this regard to these other engines. o_O

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Don Pelotas, where are you?:D

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It would be nice to see F-Secure & AVK included in some of the more trustworthy testing sites.

One point to make is that both F-Secure & AVK uses versions of the Kaspersky 4 engine modified by them.

If i ever were to use one of the multiengine AV's (& i seriously doubt i would with Kav 2006 so close), it would be AVK, it seems a lot lighter on my system, but i think all you really get extra is the BitDefender heuristics, the signatures is better with Kaspersky, so i guess that what you buy is the BitDender Heuristics. I don't know how good the new "OutbreakShield " for the 2006 version is, it not available in a english version yet, maybe because a number issue's have been reported.:)

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

AVK 2006 was lately classed 1st on a comparative including 14 (15 including Viguard, but they didn't publish its results) AV, in fench mag MICRO Hebdo :eek: . What they've liked is that AVK does clean everything it find, unlike other AVs, and its archive scanning abilities.

:)

16. Firecat

KAV also cleans very well, and I speak from experience. BitDefender is also very good at cleaning, and both the engines in GDATA AVK have good archive scanning ability. Therefore it is no surprise to me. :)

But in my experience KAV did clean every virus it found on my PC.....

17. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

we at the editorial staff tried AVK Internet Security 2005 and wrote a review (http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/software/1325/index.html).

2005 version is very good, stable and with about the same detection rate of Kaspersky (you can't see difference of 1% or 2%, these could be caused by the choice of some samples instead of others).

Now we are testing AVK 2006 and yes, we have a lot of instability troubles....2006 isn't as good as 2005 version.

Regards

18. wkmaurom

wkmaurom Registered Member

Hi to everybody and a regard to my good friend DON.
    I introduce me as new member: I am Italian and suit to Milan and my name is Mauro. How Don to know I am a stubborn and I have almost devoted 3 months for a search of the extreme safety. I have devoted internet to the problem of the safety from the 10 to the 12 hours a day. This because I have discovered the vulnerability of my PC defended only by NIS 2004-2005. With the Norton Ghost 9 have created 3 images of the system and I have used her to make a will many Antiviruses and Firewall. I have looked for above all revisions that could not be influnzate from "sponsor" and I have written around 160 sheets of notes. The maximum differences among KAV 5 and G-date AVK2005 according to my surveys are maximum among 0,01% and 0,03% with many tests to the equal one. And it needs to notice the big decelerations of the system that G-date AVK2005 creates. I have asked to one German friend of mine to make a will the G-date AVK2006 on his notebook German OS and after 3 days it has it uninstaller for serious decelerations. Me also being a Latin I am not a passionate and I found only me on the facts; the great sacrifice of resources that G-date AVK2005 imposes the dwarfish difference of performances it is not worth in to notice threats. This is my modest opinion that is surely disputable because subjective. I have also tried McAfee VS2006, Nod32, Norton AV2006, BitDefender 9, EzTrust and Panda but, at least for me they didn't constitute interesting alternatives to the Kaspersky AV that I have bought ago few days.
    Hi to everybody.
    Mauro

19. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi Mauro, I did buy and install AVK2006 on one of my computers, and there's no slow down here o_O
    AVK does take -yes- a lot of memory (especially the WEBPROXY, but it's working impressively: like a real download manager :eek: , near the notification area), although it's NOT slowing the computer.

...And there's no problems at all with the firewall (Kerio 4.2) neither, here :D

20. wkmaurom

wkmaurom Registered Member

Hi nikM,
    Me not knowing the German I have not put only a finger in the notebook. We hold however I count that in the notebooks the heavy softwares are noticed very more. As I have also told party the G-date 2006 I have never been able to try it and I have purchased the Kaspersky and I am very well me (I had gotten used to the Norton). However always expressing a personal opinion 2 engine surely AV consume the double one but don't give double results.
    Ciao
    Mauro

21. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Can you please post a screenshot of the notificsation area when downloading multiples files (eg. 3)

22. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hey, I didn't say it was Flashgot and the likes...but it does download the files itself (see the pic, with 1 file :) ), and it's only after that the "save box" does open in Windows. Don't know what happens with multiples files, as I don't use download managers.

Attached Files:

• Avk.jpg
      Avk.jpg
      File size:
      22.2 KB
      Views:
  23. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks for the screengrab. It's similar to the wat NOD works. When I say multiple files, I mean just manually start downloading several files which doesn't require a download manager.

I'm just curious if multiple AVK download progress windows are displayed and stacked up.

24. crazy4stef

crazy4stef Registered Member

The kav engine in avk does not update as fast as kav

25. nicM

nicM nico-nico

it does update every hour...as Kav :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.