run-time error '453'

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Black, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black

Black Guest

I have just installed SG 2.1 and when I run it
    I get the message: run-time error '453'
    Can't find DLL entry point CreateToolhelp32Snapshot in kernel32

Please help

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

3. imcintyr

imcintyr Registered Member

Hi, I'm brand new to this spyware world (Well, I should say, brand new to being really sick of it!)

I installed the SpywareGaurd and got this error as well. Followed your link to the Windows download and still get the error.

Running NT 4.0 (No sympathy cards, please)

Any other ideas? Just checking in.

Thanks!

Ian

4. javacool

I'd like to check and see if the first poster also has Windows NT 4.0 - it seems like I may have to add some special compatibility code for that version of Windows in the next version.

Just out of curiousity, when does this error occur? Immediately when running the sgmain.exe? Or after about a minute or so? TIA.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. polle

polle Registered Member

Hi,

I have the same problem - NT4.0 SP6a, the error occurs after about a minute when the settings window is open.

regards,
    polle

6. polle

polle Registered Member

Hi javacool,

do you have an estimate as to when you'll have an update ready to fix this? Until then I'll have to stay with version 1.1 but I'm very eager to use the new version.

Thanks,
    polle :)

7. javacool

I can't give any estimate at this time - but I am working on it.

If you'd like to help test a fix (once it is ready) could you e-mail me at bugreports@NOSPAMjavacoolsoftware.com , and I'll get back to you. (I don't have immediate access to a Windows NT 4 system.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  8. Ken

Ken Registered Member

Has the new version to fix this problem been released yet? I'm having the same problem.

9. javacool

No it hasn't been released yet - I'm still working on it. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. Ken

Ken Registered Member

Thanks! Glad to know that someone is working on it. Looking forward to the update.

11. tekkielee

tekkielee Registered Member

spyware guard run time error '453'

I FORGOT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT IT IS VERSION 2.1 THAT IS HAVING THE PROBLEM WITH RUN TIME ERROR 453
    CAN'T FIND DLL ENTRY POINT CREATE TOOLHLEP32SNAPSHOOT IN KERNEL32.I'M USING WINNT 4.09 SP6 AND MAY PUY IT ON WINME.

12. tekkielee

I just downloaded spywareguard 2.1 And I'm having the same problem. My system is windows nt 4.0 sp6 also. I hope you come out with a fix. you blaster program is the bomb (I love it).

13. tekkielee

I tried the microsoft script download and still got the same error. Hope you find the answer pretty sone. Until then I uninstall spywareguard.Oh yeah, one other thing, I this will help. before The error message there is no graphics in side the program just check marks, hope this helps.

14. Papsie237

Papsie237 Guest

My uninstall does not work -- how to I get rid of these programs. It won't even let me back up XP to a different date.

15. PatS

PatS Guest

I'm having the same problem as all of the people above. I also run WinNT4 WS (SP 6a) with a dual-boot to Win2k Pro. I haven't yet installed any anti-spyware progs. on my Win2k installation, but plan to do ASAP. And yes, I would be willing to test any possible solution(s) you develop JavaCool!

16. Pat S

Pat S Registered Member

Dear JavaCool,

I also forgot to add -- to my post from yesterday, as PatS -- that it is SpywareGuard v. 2.2 I'm using when this error occurs. Also, I spent the day installing, updating, inoculating and cleansing my system of all spyware / crapware (via Your very cool SpywareBlaster v. 3.2, Ad-Aware 6 (Build 103), SpyBot S&D (v. 2.2.0) and IE-SpyAd (2004-08-16 release)) on my Windows 2000 Pro (I triple-boot between WinNT4 (SP 6a) Workstation, Win2K Pro and MS-DOS v. 6.22, FYI). The Run-time error # 453 does not occur during program execution on my Win2k Pro installation (YAY!). However, since Win2K Pro doesn't do some of the essential things I need it to do, I spend a good deal of my time using my WinNT4 (SP 6a) Workstation installation.

ON ANOTHER RELATED NOTE:
    I also run Sygate Personal Firewall (SGF) v. 5.1 under this platform (because the latest & greatest version -- v. 5.5 -- of SGF bombs under NT4). SGF has been informing me of a tremendous amount of traffic -- via its Traffic Log -- which caused (and still causes) me to believe my system had/has been hijacked/hacked. One of the symptoms under the WinNT4 installation is that after every reboot all of my disk drives (C through J) and the E:\WINNT subdirectory/folder have been shared without my express permission. So, after each reboot, I must go un-share them. Any idea why this may be happening and is/could it be due to spyware/crapware and, or that my system (under NT4 only) has been hijacked/hacked?

Finally, I am more than willing (as a 3.94 GPA Computer Science (Programming [especially with Java] major) to assist in solving the outstanding error 453 issue with WinNT4 boxes. In fact, I would be honored to contribute in any way I can to your very cool products! d;o)

Your advice is much appreciated in advance! d;o)

PS I sent an email you the javacoolsoftware@NOSPAMhotmail.com address (listed above) detailing some, if not all of these issues, but it bounced back you me as undeliverable. Is there a valid email we can contact you at, or would you rather I/we post our questions here?
    --
    Very truly yours,
    :D Mz P (Phoenix, my Bouvier Hearing Service Dog) & Me (Pat S :D
    - Bouvier Hearing Service Dog Team since 02-02-2001)

17. dog

dog Guest

Hi Pat,;)

Welcome to Wilders' ;)

As for the the undeliverable email - Did you remove NOSPAM from the email address?

dog - *puppy*

18. Pat S

Pat S Registered Member

Originally posted by *puppy* dog *puppy* :
    > As for the the undeliverable email -
    > Did you remove NOSPAM from the
    > email address?

[MOVE][GLOW="Hey Dog!"]Hey dog! :)[/GLOW][/MOVE]
    :D Thanks for the cool welcome! ;)

That was my 1st choice in trying to solve this problem, so I'm glad we agree that needed to be done.

However, since I felt other NT users wud benefit from our discussion of that and the remaining issues I posted previously [see above] here, I didn't re-send the email, I just posted this response (to what you're responding to, albeit in small part) :) .

So, does anyone have any answers to my technical questions posted previously o_O TIA :cool: !
    --
    Very truly yours,
    :D Mz P (Phoenix, my Bouvier Hearing Service Dog) & Me (Pat S :D
    - Bouvier Hearing Service Dog Team since 02-02-2001)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  19. stephencartermcp

stephencartermcp Registered Member

I am also runing NT4.0 with sp6 and after about a minute or so after booting up and logging in I get run-time error '453'. I am running SQ 2.2. It didn't appear to me that there is a solution stated here and I am wondering if there is a resolution.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Stephen

20. stephencartermcp

I just wanted to add to my last post that I also tried the suggestion above that the Javacool Moderator made to install Windows Script 5.6 (scr56en.exe) which had no effect. I also want to add that this problem is not happening on my Windows 98 box with the same SpywareGuard version (2.2).

Hoping someone has an answer.

Thanks,
    Stephen

21. stephencartermcp

Since I still have had no response I wanted to add a couple of things.

First to state it more clearly, the problem is this:

After starting up my Win NT 4.0 (sp6) box with SB 3.2 and SG 2.2 loaded on it, about a minute later I get a message box pop-up with "SpywareGuard" in the title bar and a message reading "Run-time error '453': Can't find DLL entry point createToolhelp32Snapshot in kernel32." I press OK and a Dr. Watson Error log is created for sgmain.exe with an exception for access violation (0xc0000005), address: 0x00000000. After I say ok to that SG disappears from the task bar, but if I open the task manager I can find sgbhp.exe (Browser Hijack Protection) still in memory. I cannot start SG again until I have ended the sgbhp.exe process.

As I said earlier this happens about a minute after logging into Win NT, but I can duplicate the same problem without waiting by opening up the SG user interface choosing options and unclicking the Browser Hijack Protection check box then saving the settings.

After this error occures my system begins to get unstable causing explorer to get an access violation, it to closes and reloads (and also causing my active desktop to be deactivated). This will happen several times if I do not reboot (but not in immeadiate succession).

The unsuccessful steps I have taken to resolve this issue have been:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled SpywareGuard 2.2.
    2. As the Javacool Moderator has suggested above, gone to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en and downloaded and installed the scr56en.exe (Windows Script 5.6) program.
    3. Ran regsvr32 scrrun.dll, as suggested by kelton elsewhere in this forum.
    4. Uninstalled SpywareBlaster 3.2 and SpywareGuard 2.2 and then
      reinstalled them both, but, installed SpywareGuard 1st, As edfink described elsewhere with apparent success.

At this point I am at a loss as to what to try next. I am hoping that someone with more experience can help me.

Thanks,
    Stephen

22. javacool

Hi,

At the moment, SpywareGuard is not compatible with Windows NT 4.0 - only Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP.

But I should have this issue fixed for the planned upcoming version (with numerous other significant improvements).

Best regards,

-Javacool

23. stephencartermcp

Thanks Javacool

I guess I will just have to uninstall it. Say, when do you think the next version is coming out and how can I be notified when it does?

-Stephen

24. javacool

Hi,

I don't have any estimates on when the next version of SpywareGuard will be available at this time, sorry. :doubt:

As far as being notified goes - at the moment the best method is to just keep checking back at the website (javacoolsoftware.com) every few weeks. There may be a notification e-mail list in the near future. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.