NOD32 V2.5 - Min Sys RAM - Win98 PC's ?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JBB, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBB

JBB Registered Member

The NOD32 documenation (on Eset's) web site, lists the Minimum Requirements for Vers 2.5 as a Windows 95/98/me/2000/xp with 128MB RAm and a Pentium 300 mhz.

Now when they say 128MB RA,M do they just mean XP which needs more RAM, because I find it hard to believe that A Windows 98 system would also require a minium of 128MB RAM.? ... I thought that NOD32 was suppose to be a good choice to run on old Win98 PC's becasue it is suppose to use less memory/RAM than Norton Antivirus. .... Yet, Norton Antivirus 2005 says 128MB is only required for WinXP whereas only 64Mb RAM is required for Windows 98 and Windows ME. So this implys to me that Norton uses less emeory that NOD32 because it only needs 64MB RAm to work on a Win 98 PC, where NOD32 requires (accordind to their docs) 128MB to run all Windows operating systems including Win98

*** Questions:

........So Is NOD32 just stating the minium memory requirements (of 128MB Ram) for a WIN XP PC in thier docs?
    ........ Has anyone tried running NOD32 V2.5 on an older Win 98 PC which only has 64MB Ram on it? Does it run o.k?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nod32 runs perfectly well on very old systems with few resources being used. It is known for this.

Cheers :D

3. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i use NOD32 on my win98 96 MB RAM PC with no problem at all. :D it runs great

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Once in a while I do some work on an old system still running Win98 64 or so megs of RAM. Yes NOD32 runs just fine on them, matter of fact not long ago I removed Norton 2003 on someones prehistoric computer with those specs, slapped on NOD32...it ran quite a bit perkier for them.

5. JBB

JBB Registered Member

...YeOldeStonecat,

1) What is the Pentium Mhz speed of the old system still running Win98, for which you have NOD32 running on it ??

2) Also, are you running NOD32 Vers 2.5 on the old Win98 system PC or an eariler NOD Version on that old Win98 PC?

...cupez80,

What Pentium Mhz Speed is your Win98 PC that is running NOD32?

Also, what version of NOD32 are you running on it?

6. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i use celeron 566 and NOD 2.5

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Oh....hmmm...can't remember, I highly doubt it was a classic Pentium or Pentium MMX (P54/P55C)(I really won't sit down in front of those anymore, can't justify the time needed versus billing my labor charges), most likely a Pentium II or Celery somewhere around 300MHz or higher.

Been a reseller for over a year 'n a half...so yes a few 2.0 installs on old rigs too.

8. strawhat

strawhat Registered Member

My experiences with NOD32 2.5 on a crappy old machine ;)

Pentium 166MMX on Intel 82371 (VX I think. Maybe HX)
    with WinXP (yeah I know but it runs OK for it's purpose)

64Mb ram - AMON wouldn't start at startup or manually

All I could scrounge up ram wise was a couple of 8Mb EDO sticks but...

80Mb ram - AMON started automatically and I could stop and start it manually without drama.

I'd say that this would be the bare minimum but I'm not sure how much of a factor the CPU and chipset might play. Some people might get away with less ram on a Celery or PII on a BX board for instance or something even newer.
    I haven't tested Win98 and don't intend to anytime soon but I'd like to think 64Mb would be fine if 80Mb can run it on XP.

9. covaro

covaro Registered Member

My god... was this an experiment in self torture?

On an up note I've successfully had NOD32 run on 9x boxes with anywhere from 64-256MB of RAM (usually removing a Norton or McAfee that is bringing said box to it's knees).

I've also gotten NOD32 running great on a test box I had for a little while that was XP on a P3-1Ghz w/128MB RAM. After some tweaking I got the box using about 92MB of physical RAM between Windows and NOD32. Just enough room to run the tests I need without swapping too badly.

-Cov

-Cov

10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As a quick test, I installed NOD32 on a Pentium III 600MHz system with 32MB of RAM with a clean install of Microsoft Windows 98SE with all updates from Microsoft's Windows Update web site and the software installed and worked properly, afterwards.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

heheh... and how many Win 98 installations knocking around do you think there will be with as "clean" an installation? ;)

12. Proactive Services

Proactive Services Registered Member

Could we all stop talking about old, slow computers. I had to troubleshoot a slow startup problem on a Pentium-S 100MHz system with Win98 today. Argh it burns! Ze googles - zey do nuthing!

13. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

how is that possible?

i thought MS already stopped supporting win98?

on a clean install, i couldn't get any critical updates from MS, only updates i could get are recommended and other not so important updates...

14. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You can still get all previous updates for W98, but any new security issues discovered will not be fixed.

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

It is still possible to update even a new Windows 95 installation.

16. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

but no FURTHER updates will be released I think ...

17. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Stranger things have happened, but no I don't think so - no new updates expected.

Cheers :)

18. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The environment I described is the only one I currently have available to perform a quick test, which is why I used it. To perform tests with a different configuration I would need to have that particular environment set up.

I downloaded and applied all updates provided from Microsoft's web site at http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp. A few of the updates presented were ones which could not install, i.e. language specific updates for Internet Explorer and Windows, though. Every other update which could be downloaded I installed on the test system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.