Outpost or LooknStop?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Oldboy, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldboy

Oldboy Guest

May you people show me de advantages and disadvantages of Outpost and LooknStop?

Which one is lighter? Which one affects more the connection speed and navegation? Which one is more stable and provides more protection??

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

My vote would have to go to LnS. It is definitely lighter on resources that Outpost. I think the protection it offers is unparalleled. But you might need help setting it up, it's not the most user friendly app.

3. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

I can't get Outpost to work on my setup--it doesn't allow any internet traffic whatsoever, ie, blocks Outlook from downloading email & no web traffic is allowed either. Very strange. I am looking into giving LooknStop a try myself.

4. justnoticed

justnoticed Guest

I just noticed (he he) that Outpost and Look 'n' Stop are the same price - $39.

but Outpost seems to to be annual where as LNS is a one time off

can anyone verify this?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the advantage of outpost is its easier to use and it already has rules for programs like emule. and i dont have to order the rules for apps. plus it has a nicer interface.

6. dog

dog Guest

You clarify "order" rules? There are plenty available on LnS' Website ... if one has issues with creating their own, plus just like OutPost and their forum, there are lots of experienced users here to help with rule creation and placement with LnS, as well as a resource on the website . I'd agree LnS is for more experienced users, where Outpost can satisfy both novice and advance users ... but I think LnS interface is the best around, it nice and streamlined - like the program itself - which I'd say without a doubt is lighter than the two.

7. WSFuser

what i meant is that if u add rules in internet filtering (using emule as an example) sometimes u have to put those rules in different places. sometimes u have to put it above the rule for blocking all other tcp traffic other times above a different rule. u could just put them first but then ur other rules wont have any effect. outpost too has global rules but generally u will only need to make application rules. and although i agree that LnS is lighter and more streamlined, i much prefer the excellent component control and rules of outpost. i just dont want to spend time learning how to make rules for any firewall and making it secure, like paranoid's guide for outpost.

8. dog

dog Guest

Sorry I mistook what you meant by "order", yes placement is important. ;) But that's true for any firewall ... but I do understand what you mean as LnS is a little differnet than most of the others. Actually the learning curve and the resulting understanding that is achieved for any firewall I think is important, to me the emphasis for a firewall isn't really on; if it works, as they all provide more than sufficient protection out of the box, but why, how, when etc. this understanding really empowers the end-user. We're all basically security enthusiast, who enjoy learning and understanding all the inner-workings of a PCs Hardware/Software (both generally and also in regards to security) ... to me all the fun and my interest is purely in the Knowledge Gain and understanding.

Steve

Ps. Where would I find P2K's guide for OutPost? I'd love to read it ;)

9. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'd be intersted in knowing this also. I currently have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, and I am pleased with it....but it's a yearly subscription (included with Internet Security Suite) and when the subscription expires, I'd be interested in making a one time purchase rather than worrying about yearly renewals.

WSFuser.....you've used both....what's the scoop?

10. WSFuser

paranoid2000's guide. as for purchasing, i think agnitum had a lifetime license before but i believe no longer. currently they only offer one year licenses (39.95) and two year licenses (54.95). for lns i cant much info, maybe frederic can better answer that.

11. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

I'm a convert from McAfee Firewall to Look'n'Stop. McAfee is more user friendly and is much easier to set up in my opinion.

As for Look'n'Stop, its a very light program, no frills, but I've got to play with it for about 15mins before I get a feel on how to work about it.

My McAfee firewall hasn't expired yet when I trialed LnS but I got hooked when I found out how light LnS was. And if you like to play with firewalls you'll realize how powerful it is.

I suppose you know about its track record for LeakTest which is the best compared to others.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

There is a previous Outpost Pro or Look 'n' Stop thread here - most of the information on that should still be valid, though Outpost has had 2 upgrades since.

As for the Outpost licence, please note that the 1-2 year terms apply to upgrades - the firewall will continue working after expiry and you can renew a licence at a 50% discount regardless of whether your current one has expired or not (so waiting for a major upgrade before renewing would be a perfectly sensible approach).

Look'n'Stop offer free upgrades for minor updates - major ones will be chargeable (see Some Clarification please Frederic).

13. JRCATES

Hi GreenWhite,

I've been very pleased with the McAfee firewall, I was just considering a change once my subscription expires.

So since you've had the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus.....and are using Look 'n' Stop now....how would you compare these two? What are the similarities, differences, etc.? And what areas does one shine where as the other falls short?

Basically, how do you compare these two (LOL)?

14. JRCATES

Well that is certainly good news, Paranoid. :)

Hmmm....sounds like there probably isn't a whole lot of difference then between the "costs" of the two (since upgrades are probably similar in a "length between major upgrades" sense). Thanks for that heads up.

15. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

I think Paranoid2000 pointed out nicely when he included the link "Outpost Pro OR Look'n'Stop".

16. JRCATES

Sorry, I must not have made myself very clear....I was actually referring specifically about comparing McAfee and Look 'n' Stop, but that's OK....

17. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I purchased with a one off payment look n stop 2 or 3 yrs ago and it was version 2.04 Its now 2 .05p2
    So If I have to wait till it reaches version 3 and pay for an upgrade I will proberbly be so old that i wouldnt bother. So if you need to pay $15 per year to renew with outpost especially for any newer improvements I recon Look n stop is the better deal.

18. gnwd

gnwd Registered Member

but i found LnS would slow down you network speed distinctly even it's small

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.