Hang on: Internet Explorer Cache Garbage Data

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by mark7, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

What exactly is this "garbage data"? PE 8.0.743 often hangs on it here when performing an Internet Cleanup.

Attachment is what sometimes appears when manually performing an Internet Cleanup. When running a scheduled Internet Cleanup, I sometimes get a pop-up stating that "garbage data" files are in use retry/ignore/cancel task.

In either case, IE is closed before the task begins (so why is this "garbage data" still "in use"?).

I am going to install build 748 (latest) and see if this persists...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark7,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

There were problems with hanging on some wizards in "Internet Clean-up" section. Most of them has already been fixed in build 748. If the problem persists please let us know the version of your browser, your operating system and file system type on the system partition (usually it is C: partition).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Twiz

Twiz Guest

I'm having the same problem. IE is closed and I get a dialog box saying "garbage ... " cannot be rid of because IE is in use. I'm running the most current release, Windows XP Pro.

4. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

I saw this again on my system this week with latest PE 8 build 748. But I have to apologize that rather than try to figure it out, at the time I had more pressing matters and just ended the task and rebooted.

An internet search for "Internet Explorer Cache Garbage Data" (with and without the quotes) yielded nothing in the way of a hint or explanation. I'm still puzzled as to why IE cache data is refered to as "garbage data".. from what I was able to find out (or not) this is apparently not Microsoft terminology.

Cache data is cache data, isn't it? I am curious why Acronis PE refers to some cache data as "garbage" when it hangs. I thought maybe this terminology might be a clue as to what specific cache data was causing the hang.

When PE runs smoothly and well behaved, I do not see this "garbage data" process, maybe it's there but just happening too fast to see.

- - -
    (edit)
    Oh, I almost forgot... Ilya, the info you requested if I saw this again:

Browser: MS IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
    O/S: Win XP Pro SP2
    All MS software updates

All my disk partitions are NTFS file system

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark7,

I have contacted our Development Team and they need to try to reproduce the problem to fix it. Could you please send a letter with the link to this thread to support@acronis.com indicating in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. This will open support incident and will allow us to inform you when the problem is fixed. Also we may need some additional information that will help us to investigate the issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

I have not seen this problem or been able to reproduce it at all in the last week. If I see it again, I'll be sure to document the circumstances leading up to it more completely.

<edit> I spoke too soon. Just saw it again. Could not cancel or do anything except ctrl+alt+del and end the task. I'll send email as requested, linking this thread.</edit>

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.