ADs

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rico, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Everybody,

Since I've played with BlueTacks hosts (removed*), MVP's hosts (current), IE-SpyAD (current). I get approx 50% of the time, web pages that have broken ads (page can't be found, error where the ads should be) ugly home page half the time. When the ads were there, I just ignored them. Pop-ups are all whole iffernt matter & should be destroyed, this is not what I'm addressing here! So either display the ads 100% of the time (I'll ignore 100% of the time) or cleanly remove the ad 100% of the time, No messages about why how, the ad cannot be displayed. JUST NOTHING where the ad should have been.

Does anyone have experience or success with PAC files? see:

http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/

NOTE: This site has information description of how to block ads with PAC
    originally found at PC World's site reviews ad blocking. o_O

BlueTacks removed due to legal/moral reasons. Not sure if i can expand, on this without, a warning, or this post being pulled?

Thanks
    Rico

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

so whats ur question? i have no idea what PAC files are and havent used them. for ad-blocking i use adblock plus (firefox extension) with filterset.g. u can set to block ads or just hide them. if u hide them u wont see them, but theyll still be downloaded and its less likely to "break" site than if u block the ads.

secondly id like to add that i passed the "test" available for that site.

3. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

Yeah, I ve played with PAC files years back. You could even chain it up with proxomitron or webwasher if you were paranoid, but I don't use it now. Adblock and/or Proxomitron is more flexible anyway and easier to use.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Rico,

Please feel free to expand on what you refer to as "legal/moral reasons".

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Bubba, Regarding BlueTack, they were/are very restricive in the sites they allow to get through, next SpyBot 1.4 had many "false positives", then MSAS ground to a halt. My problems with BlueTack, led me to MVP's. On that site they said any questions email them, I did! In my description & discussion of problems regarding BlueTack, Mike Burgess stated in several emails, that BlueTack merges other peoples work, into there HOSTS file, calls it there own. Twice he said they use my file, which is a copyright violation. I really do not see any reason for him to be lying to me about the copyright violation. In todays world, one should not steal somebody else work & call it theres! I just don't want to support a thief! I believe Mr. Burgess is the author of MVP's. MVP's does not give me the problems, I had with BlueTack.

6. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I dumped bluetack because I use google, and it seems every time I use the <- arrow, it goes past a doubleclick page, causing the, randomly :

1. the page stays the same
    2. goes back to the previous page

if one happens, then sometimes I have to click the back arrow 2 or 3 times to move backwards a web page...very annoying when it happens to almost every web page you visit (I'd rather let doubleclick know what web page I'm visiting in this case)

I don't know if doubclick is linked to google, or if it's just linked to lots and lots of webpages.

Now back to using MVPS Hosts file

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks for that information and if you could get permission from Mike Burgess to share with us that e-mail....or ask him to look in on this thread....it would be much appreciated.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Bubba & Vikorr,

I'll ask Burgess if he has a problem with sharing the email - Stay tuned

Vikorr - MVP's explains on there site why the back button needs two or three strokes.

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Rick,
    You can post the content, but remove my email address!

Mike Burgess
    Microsoft MVP
    "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

----- Original Message -----
    To: "'Mike Burgess
    Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:19 AM
    Subject: HOSTS

Hello, Mike mind if I post this!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:07 AM
    To: Rick Nash
    Subject: Re: HOSTS file

Rick,
    Your right about the duplication ... I would recommend running both programs, but only let one app monitor the areas you select.

> Is MSAS heuristic, like Winpatrol, SpywareGuard, or TruPrevent?
    "heuristic" = no ... MSAS guards the areas defined in the RTAs.

I would let MSAS guard the HOSTS file ... again only let one app provide the protection to avoid conflicts.

As for the "Bluetacks version" ... yeah I've heard quite a few negative comments about it. All they seem to do is Merge other peoples work and then call it their own [ugh!] ... I know they copy mine! (which is a Copyright violation!)

Give mine a try and see ... let me know if you have any access problems. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Mike Burgess
    Microsoft MVP ["There's no place like 127.0.0.1"]

----- Original Message -----
    To: <~address removed....Bubba~>
    Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 1:48 AM
    Subject: HOSTS file

> Hello, You mention you recommend MSAS & Winpatrol Plus or the free
    > version? Note The plus version of WinPatrol probably has duplication
    > of efforts with
    > MSAS if both RTA (real time agents) are turned on. For example
    >
    >
    >
    > Both MSAS & Winpatrol want to protect the HOSTS file so one RTA for
    > hosts, should be off to lessen the chance, of conflict & duplication
    > of effort.
    >
    >
    >
    > Are there other duplication of RTA's that can conflict between MSAS &
    > Winpatrol? If so which ones should be off. I believe MSAS has approx.
    > 59 RTAs.
    >
    >
    >
    > Is MSAS heuristic, like Winpatrol, SpywareGuard, or TruPrevent?
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh! I think SpyBot 1.4 has default protection for Hosts file also,
    > perhaps this should be off & either MSAS or Winpatrol gets the call?
    >
    >
    >
    > I think I'll give MVPs a shot, I find Bluetacks very restrictive, they
    > like to block everything, at one point they blocked cnn.com, I rent
    > movies from netflix & using Bluetack I had to figure out how to gain
    > access.
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rick Nash
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  10. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Geez , where's the part where we try to hide what sources we include in the Bluetacks Hosts file , and try to make out that it all belongs to us ??

It's called the Bluetack Hosts file for one simple reason ok , if it was called the McDonalds Hosts file , would you know where to look to get it ?

They wont give you a Hosts file for free at maccas..

It seems fairly clear on our Hosts file download page what is added to our Hosts file and we give credit to those who are included.

I'm sorry to hear that some people have issues with the Hosts file , it is being updated daily , so any problems found are looked into straight away..

Would be nice if people could let us know directly if they have a problem , there are even registration free guest sections on Bluetack forums if you want to report something.

To Rico , MVPS hosts hasnt been included for the last month or so , and will not be included in any further updates to our hosts file.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  11. Coral

Coral Guest

I will not like to see any entries found in the bluetack Hosts file first, in MVP's Host file in the future, if that is the way things are going to go. I have already seen MVP adding things bluetack has had in for days. Are they now the thieves? You had better grow up a little.

You are all being childish and discredit yourself by what you say.

To sum this up, being childish, grow up a little.

Signed

Reality

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Coral,

You should try to improve your writing skills! It's difficult to understand what your saying!

The author of MVPs host file made the claim, that Bluetack is stealing, or infringing upon copyright laws.

I disagree with you, and resent your comments! Choosing (with permission) to share comments by the author, does not discredit anyone. Perhaps when you grow up, you can post, without name calling!

Messrs Moore, Coral

This seems to be the smoking gun! Did you have MVPS permission, to include/merge there, copyrighted host file with yours?

Bottom line: I tried Bluetack, donated money, & had problems with your hosts file. I've moved on. Mr. Burgess has been very helpful, & seems to be a classy guy!

Sincerely
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.