X-Cleaner conflict with IMON LSP

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by seamaiden, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

Is there a conflict between X-Cleaner and IMON?

X-Cleaner runs at Windows startup to quickly scan for certain types of malware and to fix my LSPs if they have been damaged. X-Cleaner Free build 38499 is the latest, and I have been using it for a few months now.

Since I installed NOD32 the other day, I have been having intermittent problems between the two programs. X-Cleaner detects one of my LSPs as being damaged and offers to repair it. That LSP must belong to IMON. If I proceed with the repair, then IMON is grayed out and not enabled. I have to manually enable it and let it register the LSP again. At the next reboot, X-Cleaner again detects a problem with my LSP and offers to repair it. Obviously, I can't let it do the repair.

What has me worried is that if there ever is some other problem with my Winsock, can I still let X-Cleaner repair it then? Any ideas how I can resolve the conflict or what is causing it?

X-Cleaner Free can be found at this website, but there is no technical support for it. Xblock only offers tech support for their Deluxe Version ($39).

X-Cleaner Free Homepage
    http://www.xblock.com/download-freeware.shtml

X-Cleaner Free Current Version
    http://www.xblock.com/update_free.php

Xblock Support Center
    http://www.xblock.com/tt/

It should also be noted that the update feature in this build has never worked properly for me. That is why I visit the Update page manually to check for newer versions. Perhaps this LSP thing is just another bug in their program.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's a problem of X-Blocker, you should report it to its vendor.

3. seamaiden

It looks like there is a new build of X-Cleaner that just got released within the last few minutes! (I checked the update page right before starting this thread, and now there is a new build 38527. Maybe that one will take care of the problem. I'm going to install it now.

4. seamaiden

Microsoft Antispyware Shows that all of NOD32's LSPs are "broken" with question marks next to them. Spybot has no marks or information next to them. Maybe should I try to uninstall & reinstall NOD32 since 3 different applications seem to have problems with its LSPs.

UPDATE

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling NOD32 makes no difference. NOD32's LSPs for IMON are not "damaged" and do not need "repair." They are "protected" by design. That is the nature of the NOD32 Antivirus System.

2. Do not let X-Cleaner "repair" your Winsock LSPs if NOD32 is installed. The two programs are not compatible together in that respect. If you do let X-Cleaner "repair" them, then IMON will be grayed out and you will need to re-register its LSPs. On the next reboot, X-Cleaner will "think" the LSPs are "damaged" again and will offer to "repair" them. Always deny this. The only exception is if you really do need to "repair" your LSPs because you have lost network access, internet access, or both. Other LSP repair utilities are LSPfix and Winsock XP Fix. You may need to re-register IMON again after using such utilities.

3. The latest release of X-Cleaner Free prompted a security alert from Ad-Watch for malware called "Virtual Bouncer." This was not an issue with previous versions. It may be a good idea not to use the new installer version of X-Cleaner (build 38527) until we know whether this is a false positive or not. It may be difficult to determine that since Xblock offers no tech support on the free version of X-Cleaner.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.