TDS3 - a lot easier to use than you might think!...

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Like many things, TDS is only as complex as you make it. It arms you with every tool you'll need to defeat any trojan, but you don't necessarily need to use any of them. In fact, the two main features of any scanner (1. update to the latest database, and 2. scan) can both be executed with just two mouse clicks in TDS. See here for an example: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=easytouse
    Too easy? :)

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

LOL THE SCANNER YES THE EXCUTION PROTECTION YES AND NOW THX TO FAN J CRC I THINK THAT WHAT IT CALL

I personaly love my tds just loaded with to many goodys some i think hightech

for examole i belive some of you run it as a kinda firewall with your ports i never learnd to do that

the reading on it just to long and hard but yes scanner best newbyfrindly feature excution protection

hmmm let see that link now

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

hey you forgot excution protection it 3things not two lol

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Exec protection you only need to install with your TDS as you know this works all automatically in the background, if you like to compare it with the resident part of other scanners, strong as it is.
    So no need for buttonclicks to start it, it's there all time.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I think its super cool in its simplicity. For too long I didnt bother with TDS as I felt it was way out of my understanding. However, I do just what Wayne has said, and can be comfortable in that excellent protection. Maybe one day I will dig deeper and find the time to learn more about its many uses. But for now I choose to journey in simplicity and find the 2 clicks cool for me :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

True!
    For the configuration of TDS and the scanners i did not bother either: i just checked everything which works on my system, inclusive the automated sockets loaded, and have my scans.
    The other tools i like to use when usefull that's what they're utilities for, and yeah, the scripts add lots of extra, for very useful desktop stuff or security items, whatever we put in them.

I would not like it (yet) to be less impressive in color and tools: i even felt really uncomfoprtable when the voice had changed so changed it back immediately.

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

:) I dont even have sounds on my pc. its one trim machine lol. total simplicity ( use to be a hermit )

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I've been using TDS now for over two years & am still finding out about all the useful tools - I have found the remote port scanner & the targeted port scanner are very useful for testing friends firewalls! :cool:

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Addition to Pilli:
    ....and your own ports if you put 127.0.0.1 or another one of your IPs in the target host display :D

This thread is becoming a step-by-step "grow into TDS use" instruction.

10. hendricus

hendricus Registered Member

Indeed it's easy to use, thanks to FanJ :) .
    Since i use tds-3 the trial version i cannot use the execution protection. I still like to learn what 's so great about it. Could you inform me about it. Thnx in Advance.

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Oops, Hendricus, just noticed nobody answered your question concretely, was it the use of TDS at all or especially the exec protection part?
    Simply said, it's a hook to windows, scanned each program for possible malicious code before it can be executed, so a magnificent extra stop on trojan infections.
    If such a stop is made you'll get a warning about it.
    But with your daily updated database and scanning it should be made hard for nasties ever to be there and activate at all!

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

To add to Jooske's post - You will find there is a very small delay when opening a programme but in my experience this is insignificant when the benefits are taken into account :)

From the TDS3 Help File:
    Execution protection is a unique system exclusive to TDS-3 and DiamondCS WormGuard that uses a non-resident hook which allows TDS-3 to intercept and scan files as they are executed (but before they are loaded) and actually prevent infection by blocking/aborting the execution if the file was deemed harmful. As the hook is non-resident it uses no extra memory or resources, and it isn't susceptible to the TerminateProcess issue that virtually all other hook mechanisms are susceptible to.

How does it work? When you execute a file, the operating system - before it even loads the file - asks the DiamondCS execution hook "Allow this file to continue processing?", and then waits for a Yes/No response from the hook. This allows TDS-3 to scan inside the file and abort the execution if the file is deemed dangerous or has been identified as a trojan.

13. rayg

rayg Registered Member

It is still a shame that as far as I can see execution protection does not work on a multi user XP system. Still waiting for TDS-4

14. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hi rayg
    install tds on every account you use
    Dolf

15. rayg

rayg Registered Member

Dollefie

Already confirmed with DiamondCS that it is not posible. E-mail reply dated 22/5/2002 only 9 more days and that will be 1 year old!

16. DolfTraanberg

rayg
    In the meantime they have released version 3.2.1. Have you tried that one ?

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Rayg, i don't quite understand your postings.
    I never heard execution protection would not be able for XP users. It should work properly, if you have a registered version of TDS.

18. DolfTraanberg

Jooske,
    I did understand that rayg was unable to install execution protection on accounts other than the default.
    Dolf

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Dollefie,
    indeed, the "multi-user" system, hence your answer to install on admin and user level both.
    There was this "on year - 9 days" thing confusion, i don't understand what this has to do with it.

I wonder for a proper access to all TDS functionality the former descred config works here with after reboot starting TDS manually for instance from a user account and login after that start with the admin password. It worked for the ple who did and found out exactly howto for the radius and other functions, so might suppose for the exec protection too?
    Maybe the double install on both levels is ok too, as again i never heard any TDS function like exec protection would not be able on a multi-user XP system or any other NT / 2000 system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.