before I call my ISP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

Few days ago our ISP kindly called us to say that we can exchange (if we wish) the existing modem/router with a new one that has a built-in firewall. I went and got a brand new ADSL router with a built-in firewall and 4-port switch free of charge. It is fine a part from this problem:

a bubble-like appears every now and then for about 1/4 a second on the notification area. It moves the little encircled Chevron (<) that expands or shorten the notification area, it moves it to the left(about ½ cm) and back to its original place and gives a bubble sound (buk). Any clues/ideas before I call my ISP. Thankyou

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Sounds like maybe you've got something 'hidden' that's trying to notify, maybe? Right click on the tray area and click "Customize Notifications" and look through the list.. my first thoughts would be the network connection followed by new hardware.. try setting those to 'always show' and see if that doesn't help. Better yet, you could try disabling the 'hide inactive icons' for a little while so it shows everything. (go to the same place, click Ok on the notification customization screen and it you will be left with the Taskbar and Start Menu Options where you can take the check out of "Hide Inactive Icons")

3. hadi

hadi Guest

Thank you Notok
    Every one of us volunteered to watch the notification area continuously for 10 min (show all applied). The sound (buq) heard 12 times/10 min, but the icon flashes fast enough for the eye to catch it, 5 hours passed without a clue then our boy saw some thing red; he said. Finally we reached to pinpoint the red icon, I disabled Windows firewall and the bubble disappeared. Now, I’m not familiar with hardware firewall, is it better than software one and why the conflict between the two. Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.