True Vector

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kathyhl, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Hi everyone, I have WinXP/SP2, and have had no problems with it until 3 hours ago. As much as I could read when I was able to connect to the Internet is that it has to do with Z/A. I have not updated, upgraded, downloaded or done anything new to the PC in awhile, and just out of the blue today a box came up and said "true vector internet monitor has encounterd problems and will shut down, ect, ect". Then my Z/A shuts down and another box comes up and asks if I want to restart it, so I do. The minute I try and reconnect to the Internet, this entire process starts all over again. I uninstalled and re-installed Z/A twice, and the problem has persisted. Now, and again out of the blue, the problem quit and I can now get back on the Internet with no problems. I realize that some of you are saying "so what's the problem?" Well, the problem is, I never found the problem, or why it was doing it, therefore, it could happen again, and if I am currently ignoring something that I should be fixing, but am not because I don't think I have the problem anymore, I could be making something worse. And if you understood what I just said.........can anyone help me to understand why it happened, or tell me what I can do from preventing it from happening in the future? And also maybe give me a little background on what this true vector really is and what it's function is, aside from Z/A needing it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kathy

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I used ZA I have had the same thing happen. I believe that the reason it repeated the reboot process several times is that it took that much time to reset truvector. I have never been a lover of some of the things truvector can pull. I hope this helps.

3. Kathyhl

Thank you bigc, so I will assume that it's ok now and just hope it doesn't happen again. You didn't say why it happened, so I'm thinking it's just one of those pc glitch things that we never know why happen. I haven't really had much of a problem with the Z/A program itself, so at this point I won't start looking for another firewall :)

Thanks again,

Kathy

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I never did figure out what the original cause was. But it never happened again. ;)

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Could it be that it is related to what is described in a recent thread at DSLR Security Forum:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13620809

Other people had a problem too, and what I understand is that ZoneLabs fixed it.

I quote the Official Response from Zone Labs (quote from that DSLR-thread):

=== begin quote ===

Zone Labs users began reporting True Vector-related crashes across its ZoneAlarm firewall and security suite product line late this afternoon, June 9th at approx. 5:30 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)

Zone Labs quickly replicated the issue in the company's security lab, identified the cause and resolved it within 5 hours.

The problem was related to an update to our Program Advisory service issued at 4:00 p.m. PDT. As soon as the issue was confirmed, Zone Labs rolled back the Program Advisory update and cleared its Internet-based update delivery system, which restored full functionality to users immediately.

Customers should be assured that Zone Labs is committed to providing a seamless, advanced Internet security solution and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

=== end quotes ===

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I just saw that above quoted Official statement from Zone Labs is also showing at the top of the Zone Labs User Forum :
    http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs

Sorry for not earlier looking there and quoting from there.
    I should have done that.

Regards, Jan.

7. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

To say ZA "needs" TrueVector is like saying an AntiVirus "needs" a scan engine. TrueVector *is* the firewall engine. Even if your user interface {GUI} isn't running, if the TrueVector service is still running, then the firewall is still filtering packets and doing its job. Only when the TrueVector service is disabled, is your firewall truly disabled, because TrueVector *is* the firewall. The rest of it is just the graphical interface {GUI} which allows you to see what's happening and to tweak your settings, etc., but has nothing to do with the firewall engine or driver {truevector}. Hope that helps. ;)

8. Kathyhl

Thank you for that knowledgable insight Randy. I had absolutely no idea the importance true vector had.........like a car without a driver would be my anology ;) .

Fan, thank you so much for letting me know exactly why this happened. I actually thought this was going to be another one of "those PC things" that no one can ever figure out, but to know also that Z/A was well aware of it and working on it, really lifts any doubts I had that it could possibly happen again when I least expected it. I've kind of been holding my breath since it quit, but with the information you provided, I can now exhale :D

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Kathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.