Do you think a resident anti-spyware program is needed if you have PG and regdefend?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Matt_Smi, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I was wondering if you guys think it is necessary to run a real time anti-spyware program like Counterspy, MS anitspy, ect. If you have process guard and regdefend on your system, I personally think it is a bit unneeded unless you really like being layered. I don’t think there is much that an antispy app could stop that PG + RD could not.

2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I run PG, RD, and PrevX Pro, and I've given up on using a AS RTS as no spyware is ever picked up on my system anymore.

Of course, I've also configured IE so no activeX is used (except in trusted sites), it has restricted sites, has a good HOSTS file, uses Sun Java, no cookies (except trusted sites) are allowed etc etc. I know I could probably have achieved the same results with Firefox, but oh well, as I said, no spyware has managed to get onto my system (that I know of).

I still run scans of Ad-Aware, Spybot, and MSAS, but they never pick up anything.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: Do you think a resident anti-spyware program is needed if you have PG and regdefe

My experience mirrors Vikorr's.

Top tier AV/AT coverage available from a number of vendors seems to be handling spyware much better by nipping the trojan downloaders in the bud. PG/RD, and similar applications, provide all the additional backroom coverage needed.

So to answer Matt_Smi's question and the threads title - I'd also say no. Keep the basic AS application installed for very infrequent demand scans to check as desired, but with a proper front end, I'd say the resident AS portion is simply not needed.

Actually, I should confess that I've never run the resident portion of any AS application that I own, but appreciate the role PG/RD/etc. serve and do employ them. I don't see that changing dramatically in the near future.

Blue

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Re: Do you think a resident anti-spyware program is needed if you have PG and regdefe

Hi Matt_Smi,

Ditto Vikorr and BlueAznnetti. I run Giant AS on-demand from time to time and CounterSpy just to see how KAV, ProcessGuard, and RegDefend are doing. Ever since I installed these packages, nothing has gotten through. I know longer have Giant AS in real-time because it really uses up resources and as far as I can see no real added protection. I keep Ewido or BOClean running, mostly for fun - since I paid for them both :) .

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.