Thinking of Trying PG

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Trooper, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi All,

After reading many of the posts here on these forums regarding this product, I am thinking of giving it a shot.

I currently have installed on my pc...

Analog X Script Defender
    BOClean
    NOD32
    Spyware Blaster
    Spywareguard
    Counterspy
    Ad-Aware
    (Spybot S&D will return as soon as 1.4 goes final) ;)

I have other programs as well, just felt that I should list the ones I currently use for protection purposes.

I know that I need to install PG in "learning mode" for starters. I am curious if you guys think that PG would interfere with any of the above mentioned programs that I currently have installed on my system?

Also, any other tips on PG setup for a noobie?

Best Regards,

Jag

P.S. Does PG play nice with games?

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jag,

I have all of the products you listed except Script Defender. On my XP SP2 2.5 GHz, 512MB machine, there are not conflicts or resource issues.

My son plays various online games and there has been no issue with ProcessGuard. However, I there is a thread regarding Punkbuster and PG, which you may be interested in:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78880&highlight=punkbuster

In any case, my son does not have a say in this matter. If it is between games and security ... well he can always play Monopoly or Scrabble. :)

Rich

3. Trooper

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I think I am going to check this product out a bit more before I jump on this.

I dont have any games installed at the moment (just reformatted last week). Altho if I do play any games they are mainly Steam (Valve Software) related.

That is too funny about your son and playing games tho. ;)

Good to know I should not have problems. I plan to check this product out soon. :D

Regards,

Jag

P.S. Forgot my specs.

Windows XP Pro w/SP2
    1.5 gig o'ram (Dual Channel)
    3.0 Ghz Intel P4 w/HT

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Processguard is probably one of the most important apps you can run, I have used it for quite a while and have had no conflicts.

5. Trooper

Ahh bigc, so you are another happy camper with PG huh? ;)

6. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Not to jump on the bandwagon or anything...

but PG is a must have in my book.

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Great program. The only thing you need to watch out for is if you have an imaging program such as Ghost or First Defense shut down PG and exit before imaging.

8. bigc73542

I wouldn't be without it :D ;)

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jaguar,

ProcessGuard basically gives control of the computer back to the user. The user decides what can be run, not the vendor (e.g. MS). Any decent operating system should put full control in the user's hands. But since Windows doesn't have this safeguard facility, I am sure glad that DiamondCS decided to make it available. I echo everyone else's sentiments. It is a must-have.

Rich

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

My question is since Process Guard basically "gives control of the computer back to the user by allowing the user to decide what can be run" as Rich just said, is this a product for the far more advanced computer users as opposed to the novices? For people who may not be all that computer literate or PC savvy, will they have problems deciding WHICH programs to allow or disallow? I have heard that there are similar programs, such as Anti-Keylogger, which basically understands and differentiates legitimate programming from non-legitimate, and makes the process much simpler by either allowing or disallowing programs that novices may not be all that familiar with. Does Process Guard give detailed explanations or descriptions, like many spyware remover programs do, as to what the program in question is? And also, make suggestions as to whether it should be allowed or disallowed? Also, how does Process Guard compare to other programs such as Privacy Keyboard or Anti-Keylogger? Thanks for helping to clarify this.

11. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

You don't have to be an 'advanced user' to use PG, but you do have to want to learn how PG works, and also learn about the programs you are allowing and disallowing.

It doesn't take advanced skills or knowledge to work out for the very first time, just a bit of time and willingness to learn...but its worth every minute it takes to learn PG. At the start, even after learning mode it will still give you some popups. But after a while it should give you no pop ups at all, unless you want it to (eg you set a program to 'Permit Once) or you are installing a new program / updated a program.

Once you've learned how it works, its then very simple to use.

PS don't forget to run every program once while PG is in learning mode, and if any program has sub-programs (eg most AV's, ATs, AS's will - like their RTS, On demand scan, immunize features etc).

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree PG is a must have. I can promise you that while you may have to learn a bit to use PG it is a piece of cake compared to learning what you need to do to clean a machine that has been infected.

Pete

13. bigc73542

That is very well put ;)

14. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

not a real advanced user here but i purchased process guard
    and i think it's also a must have, and i highly recommend it.

15. JRCATES

I understand what you mean, Peter, and agree with that concept wholeheartedly. I guess my concern is when you say "learn", are you referring to like a firewall, when it asks to grant permission if "RealPlayer" is trying to access the internet, or do you mean learn if something like OnON32bbd.exe (just made that up, as an example) is trying to access the internet? For less computer literate users like myself who don't understand all the nuances and terminology involved, this could be a big difference between using a product like Process Guard or one like Anti-Keylogger, which takes the "guessing" out of the equation.

16. Trooper

Another quick question. (I have not installed it as of yet).

I assume ALL programs need to be learned.

Such as updates for NOD32, Spywareblaster, Counterspy etc? Does PG alert you like a sw firewall would regarding things going out to the internet to obtain updates?

Jag

17. bigc73542

When you install it just make sure it is in learning mode and then run all of the programs like updaters so it will learn what you allow and after you take it out of learning mode and something tries to run that it didn't see in learning mode it will pop up a box asking if you want to allow it. It won't ask about the same program twice unless something has changed in the program.

18. Trooper

Bigc,

Thanks very much, you have been VERY helpful to me of late. :D

Best Regards,

Jag

19. JRCATES

Thanks bigc, I appreciate your help and responses with this. I am interested in learning more about the product, that is why I am asking. And I'm trying to do so in a way that perhaps other less experienced PC users like myself who read this also can easily understand and follow.

I guess it is similar to a firewall like Zone Alarm, or an anti-virus subscription like McAfee, which asks permission for first time use of an application, but then only asks afterwards if a "newer" or "updated" version to a product has been downloaded. My main concern is if it asks using a product name that is easily recognizeable, or a file name with an extension that has me going "huh?" Sorry, but I am a newbie, so the terminology of many programs still throughs me off (in other words, don't be afraid to talk to me like I don't know much, because I don't - LOL).

20. Trooper

JRCATES,

You should probably read through this as well as this to gain a better understanding.

There is also a help file on the Diamond CS site for reference as well.

I am not a novice to pc's at all, but I do not proclaim to be an expert in any way at all, esp with regards to security as things are constantly changing.

In any event, I am in the midst of reviewing and gathering information before I perform the install. (Yes I downloaded the free version for starters). :)

Aside from that, there are many knowledgeable people here on these forums to ask for help if you get stuck. Wilders is an excellent site. I was a long time lurker but finally decided to join up not all that long ago.

Whatever you decide, take the time to learn things before hand prior to trying it. As far as popups, you can use the references I gave you or even Google them for more information.

HTH some.

Regards,

Jag

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

JRCATES,

Here's an example of what will pop up. I simply removed the BOClean updater application from the Security list and then ran a manual update. The information shown partially depends on the information provided with the application. However, between the command line, embedded company name, description, tasks which have just executed or are expected to execute in the event of an automated procedure, and so on, there's usually enough information to make a very informed decision.

Blue

Attached Files:

• pg2.png
      pg2.png
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
  22. JRCATES

Jag and Blue,

Thanks very much. That sort of info is EXACTLY what I am looking for. It's easy to ask for opinions, because they're, well....easy to give (like do you like Coca-Cola or Pepsi? Colgate or Crest?, etc.). But information and examples regarding how a product actually operates and functions as well as the features and benefits is priceless.

Thanks again.

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

This is exactly what DiamondCS should be doing. Creating a user manual with specific examples of what to expect. However, I do realize that DiamondCS is short on human resources, so possibly in the future, if the product does well enough to support such an effort. I believe that the upfront costs will be more than made up by the eventual sales.

Rich

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rich,

This type of information, including an analogous screenshot, is in the Help file that comes with PG and is available from within the program. However, if one is considering a purchase or just starting to use the program, the path to the desired information may not be obvious.

In this case, the screenshot can be found under Features Overview>Execution Protection - not necessarily obvious if you are walking into the Help file cold.

Blue

25. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

then perhaps an easier method of accessing that help file ie. hold your mouse over a program, and the help file pops up, or when the permission popup appears, have a button for help on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.