Microsoft Readies Its Antivirus App

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Honyak, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Ronjor gave us a similar article, thanks

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I do hope M$ maintains their reputation for producting small, stable, simple, bullet-proof applications (such as WindozeXP, & Internet Exploder). :D

4. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

That was my exactly thoughts as I read the article.

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well this will hopefully allow more people to have AV installed to say the least......

But personally i wouldn't trust M$ to be my security guard.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I bet its gonna have product activation, PLUS its gonna verify the Windows CDKey (and also the Anti-Virus CD Key) before installing or updating.

7. tkc

tkc Guest

well u can beta test it for us to see if that's true :D
    Those who want to apply for beta testing can go here:
    http://beta.microsoft.com/ - guest id: OneCare

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, for the average computer user, and the average computer user does not come to Wilders, this should be good news. It will be good for those folks (probably the majority) who have trouble configuring a half-dozen (or more) different security products; better than what lots of the folks out there have, nothing!

Acadia

9. squash

squash Registered Member

I personally wouldn't use OneCare... because I like to have my security as layers of programs not as the one thing.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Same here likewise, however the average computer user is overwhelmed by "layers of programs". This will benefit the majority of clueless folks out there and the rest of us will be better off for it.

Acadia

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It has to be a good thing when you read , according to microsoft,that two out of three pc users in the usa do not use a firewall nor anti virus .

12. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

And post a screenshot too eh ;)

13. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I have to honestly say i'll be switching to this when it is launched and most people I talk to will be switching as well. I used to love RAV and Giant, and will be happy to have a suite that I can pay one low yearly fee for.

I think troubled times are ahead for AV/AT vendors. I've held off on all licensing renewels for now, and have instructed clients and associates to do the same in anticipation of this.

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I am currently awaiting my CD in the mail. Apparently it was in two waves, download and then snail mail, eventhough I stated I would rather have the DL.

I do agree that this should help the "average" user, but it will be a fee based service just as most other AV's are nowadays. I am also curious to test it out with the Longhorn Beta, hopefully around the time I get the OneCare cd Beta 1 will be available also. High hopes though.. ;)

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Maybe I assume to much, but based on anti-trust rules against Micro$oft that will not likely be allowed to bundle with Longhorn. But in the interest of securing the net for all. Maybe they will be allowed. :doubt:

This is what I want to do, is use OneCare with LongHorn and see how I like it, think Ill stick with security app. vendors for XP OS. But like SDS909 I really would like to use OneCare for all my needs I just do not know if it will be up to the task. :doubt:

Most of you know how I hate Suites :p

16. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

I'm a bit leary of anything MS-branded regarding security/spyware. That whole Claria/Gator fiasco doesn't exactly engender trust, at least for me....For now, I'll rely on third-party solutions, unless the consensus on forums such as this indicate MS offerings work as we'd hope.

17. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I signed up and hope I get picked to be a tester. I will judge the program on its merits and not its name.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i beta tested it and only try it if u plan to keep it. afaik currently theres no easy way to disable/uninstall it, secondly it doesnt install as a setup; it sorta installs as an activex i think. honestly, i thought onecare was supposed to be some sort of security in addition to an AV/FW, my mistake.

19. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

I was picked also to Beta this thing and received my CD in the mail a few days ago. The problem i'm having is when i tried to install it, it wouldn't install everything. (the firewall installed, the AV did not) so I tried to uninstall it, well it won't. It leaves a folder named ClientSd that I can't get rid of. And if I try and re-install the program it says its already installed. And of coarse I have not heard anything back from MS. Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to try this thing out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.