Installation problems

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Arctic, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I recently did a complete reinstall of my operating system and had to reinstall Port Explorer and my other Diamond products and I am having a problem with the Port Explorer. When I click on the tool bar to slide the columns over a bit I get a big black square. I never had this happen before. Could anyone tell me if there is a fix for this? Thank you. :)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Arctic, It sounds like a graphics card set up problem, recheck your video driver settings and see if they are the problem. Windows default drivers are not VG I'm afraid :)

Pilli.

3. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

How do I recheck my video driver settings? I would have no idea where they are or how to set them. :oops:

Thank you.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Arctic, Roght click on your desktop - properties - select settings - Advanced. You should see a series of tabs for General, monitor, etc.

Make sure that your graphics card drivers are loaded properly, as you can see in the screenshot below my graphics card and monitor are recognised and I can adjust various parameters.
    If you do not have the correct drivers the Adaptor tab will not show a named driver etc. In which case you need to get them, they may be on the installation / recovery disks that came with your computer.

Attached Files:

5. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Hi Pilli, I did as you suggested and everything seems ok there. I took a screen shot of the adapter. I will paste it here so you can see what I have. I am running windows XP Home edition. I have 2 GB ram so I don't think it is a ram problem. The only other programs I have running at the moment are Zone Alarm, McAfee Antivirus, And Linkslogger. I have not reinstalled my process guard and wormguard yet. I wanted to clear up this issue first. Any help would be most appreciated. ;)

Attached Files:

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Screenshot of Port Explorer problem?
    Screen resolution?

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

That's a possibility Jooske, especially if the screen is a LCD/TFT as they usually have a native resolution where they work best but I am still not sure it will help. If it is a CRT then the monitor refresh rate may need adjusting, again I am not sure if this will help in Arctic's situation

Arctic can you uninstall PE reboot and then reinstall just in case one of your other security programs has caused a glitch.

Pilli :)

8. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Thank you for your reply Jooske and Pilli. My Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz. I can increase that is you thing it is best. It can be increased as high as 144. When I reinstalled windows that is the setting that it gave it. And yes I do have a CRT monitor.

I can uninstall PE and then reinstall if you think that is best. When I did the original installation I had no other programs running. I had turned off my firewall and antivirus. I always turn off all other programs before installation of anything. Now here is my question: If I reinstall PE should I still go to the Members only area of Diamonds and download that version or do I download the version on the site like a new purchase? Not sure if it makes a difference.

Once again thank you for your reply. :)

9. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I think my problem is fixed. I did as Jooske suggest and set my refresh rate to 100 and now it is working perfectly. No more problems. Thank you so much for all of your help. Have a great week.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can use the last download or get a new download via the membersarea, should make no difference. Since you registered it you can grab a new download via the membersarea for the full download and of course there is no need to buy it again! Only get your download.

You could also look in the Port Explorer settings at the refresh settings.
    Do you still get the black hole when you minimize the GUI to the (sys)tray and maximize it afterwards again?
    Is it only with the main GUI or also with the other consoles?

Oops, we posted at the same time.
    Nice you solved it!
    I set my refresh rate in Port Explorer to 3 seconds, btw, which is fine for me to be able to follow it all.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Glad you have it sorted Arctic :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.