Tor with yahoo messenger

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by sarox, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarox

sarox Registered Member

I have: winxp, no router, no network, sygate firewall (Tor and yahoo allowed)
    Trying to get ymessenger 6.0.0.1922 connected with socks to Tor.

Put in 127.0.0.1 port 9050 and tried using both v4 and v5.
    ymessenger doesn't connect and won't sign in. I've also tried pointing it to Privoxy with the http proxy setting 127.0.0.1:8118 and it signs in but doesn't look like (from xnetsat) it is using the proxy.

So i thought it might have something to do with this:
    1.1.2. About DNS and tsocks
    tsocks correctly replaces connect(2) calls with calls to your SOCKS proxy (Tor), but it doesn't do anything about requests to your DNS server. This means that if you refer to any machines by hostname when you're using tsocks, you'll be sending that hostname over the network, perhaps leaking the fact that you are about to connect to the corresponding server.

Other applications that use SOCKS 4 or SOCKS 5 directly often have the same shortcoming.

Tor 0.0.8 (or later) has a workaround for this problem; until we can hack tsocks (or a work-alike) to support DNS, instead of using a hostname directly, first use tor-resolve to resolve the hostname into an IP (via Tor) and then use that IP address with your tsocks-ified application. - (I don't understand that)

NAME
    tor-resolve - resolve a hostname to an IP address via tor

SYNOPSIS
    tor-resolve [-4|-5] hostname [sockshost[:socksport]]

DESCRIPTION
    tor-resolve is a simple script to connect to a SOCKS proxy that knows about the SOCKS RESOLVE command, hand it a hostname, and return an IP address.

So I ran:
    tor_resolve.exe -4 scs.msg.yahoo.com 127.0.0.1:9050

It gave me an ip.... do I put this in the yahoo messenger socks setting then? the yahooip with port 9050 ??

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  2. sarox

sarox Registered Member

is tsocks the same thing as sockscap? I forgot to mention i tried sockscap and it works but cpu usage goes steady at 100%. :(

I haven't tried the t_resolve address in anything yet though. Has anyone got this working??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.