Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by smokie420, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokie420

smokie420 Registered Member

When my IE closes, I get a security box asking to send the info to Microsoft, and I do, I click on the ' get more info' (or says something along those lines)...and this link opens...http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=2346fe00-b1b8-428f-b1b6-9a66719de69b&SID=1485
    I have all the latest updates. I have SB, adawareSE,AVG anti-virus.XP SP2.......but I guess I need some reassurance from someone or advice. I could only think that maybe its an add-on. and I'm hesitant of putting my computer in Safe Mode, to do as link suggested if it were an add-on.
    (but i'm not to familar with computers at all)
    I don't know if the following could be related to that crash analysis but, I've noticed that in forms the spaces in which to type are some times different colors. (tried to show a screenshot but it was to large) sorry!
    And sometimes some URL's will not display at all!
    Also when I click on 'view' and change text size, it doesn't take effect, only on MSN websites. Thank You all in advance

2. smokie420

I forgot to ask 1 other thing....Are there any current updates for Internet Explorer 6.0 that anyone knows of...bc I didn't find any at Microsoft. Thanks in advance!

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Going into safe mode won't hurt anything, it's just regular windows but with only the bare minimum of components running. I would follow the directions for managing add-ons, and you could run some scans for spyware while you're in safe-mode while you're there as well.

What might help, before you go into safe-mode, is when you click the 'more info' link on the crash pop-up it should list a few things, the upper right hand being the file that caused the crash. If you could post what that file is (or just a screenshot of the 'more info' box) we might be able to help you narrow it down.

4. smokie420

Thanks! Whenever I get that error message again, I'll try to remember and take a screenshot. When I'm finished doing all the scans in safe mode, what are the directions for booting it normally again?? Thanks!

5. smokie420

I was hoping I wouldn't get another error report so quickly but I did. I have taken screenshots I hope this helps. Thanks :) (I am unable to send both screenshots at the same time, I guess I'm not doing it right) However I'll just post an immediate reply to this post and include the second screenshot. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks
    [GLOW="smokie"]smokie

Attached Files:

6. smokie420

Here we go....

Attached Files:

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yeah, unfortunately you can only attach one shot per message, so it's not just you ;)

Well "hungapp" is pretty non-specific, and most of what I'm seeing from Google on it is the stuff mentioned earlier; addons, IE updates, spyware. So if this was my computer, or one I was working on, this would be my course of action..

• Download Webroot's SpyAudit (this won't remove anything, but you can download the SpySweeper trial if it finds anything the others don't)
    • Download and install Ad-Aware
    • Download and install Spybot Search & Destroy
    • Download and install Ewido (trojan scanner)
    • Download STMD Desktop (detects any unusual files injected into IE)
    • Download LSPFix and keep it somewhere handy (if you remove any spyware and it breaks your internet connection, this will fix it.)
    • Download the latest versions of your common plugins such as Java, Flash, etc.
    First run scans with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido, STMD Desktop, and SpyAudit. If that doesn't find anything, or doesn't fix the problem (you may need to scan in safe mode to get rid of stubborn infections), uninstall & install the updated versions of Java, Flash, etc. If the problem still persists then follow the directions on the Microsoft page that you found previously.

This may or may not be a spyware problem, but it's the easiest way for you to start, and it's good to rule that kind of thing out. LSPFix should only be used if you remove some spyware and it breaks your internet connection.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes. If this doesn't fix your problem then we can go from there.

8. smokie420

Thanks for replying to my thread :)..
    I have Adaware and Spybot already and run them frequently and system is clean. (haven't ran in safe mode yet)
    However I do not have Ewido,nor STMD Desktop.
    I don't see a need for LSPFix, I will read more about Ewido and STMD Desktop before I download. (thanks for that information btw).
    As far as I know I have the updated Java. (jre1.5)? <<I hope thats what your talking about lol. (I'm not very computer literate)
    As far as me booting my computer in 'safe mode' I would need directions for that, again I'm not very computer literate. Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Smokie

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You will want to have LSPFix "just in case", if something is found and removing it breaks your internet connection, you (obviously) won't be able to get online to get it. So it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around. It doesn't install, either, so you can just download it and file it somewhere.

And yes, JRE1.5 is indeed it :) 1.5.03 was just recently released, however, so if you haven't downloaded it in the past couple weeks, it's worth downloading again. Even if you did, it wouldn't hurt to download again, uninstall, and reinstall.

One thing I almost forgot about, before going into safe mode you might also see if you can get the crash again and check the Event Log. As soon as you see the crash, go into the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Applications, and see if there is an entry at the top of the list with a red circle w/ an X or a yellow triangle with an !, double click it and see what it says. You should be able to highlight everything, copy it by holding the CTRL key and pressing C, then you can paste it here.

For your reference, to get into safe mode, you just reboot and after it counts your memory and shows your drives (before it says that it's starting Windows), start pressing the F8 key about once every 1 or 2 seconds. You will then see a list of options with a 30 second count-down (which will stop if you press the up or down arrow), select "Safe Mode" and it will proceed to boot into safe mode. My computer takes a long time to get into safe mode, others do not. Just be patient if it seems like it's not doing anything for a while. You will not be able to access the internet in safe-mode, so you want to make sure you have everything you need before hand.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  10. smokie420

I really appreciate your help, but I'm just so unsure of things ya know.
    If I could download LSPfix to a floppy disk, could yougive me directions and I could do it that way. I just dont want to mess up my computer (its not hard for me, in fact its entirely to easy) lol
    I have installed JRE within the last few weeks, matter of fact more like may 5, 05 i believe. I was haveing computer problems before that date and ummm had to have a new hard drive :oops:
    So maybe now you can see why I'm hesitant lol leave anything up to me and i can surely mess it up, not intentionally lol
    I'm haveing a different problem now if you wouldnt mind checking out this thread......
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=457362#post457362
    I started a new thread last night bc I wasn't sure if that problem discussed in that thread was related to this current thread.
    Thanks for all your help, really
    Smokie :)

11. smokie420

Well I haven't exactly received a crash again however I went right to control panel and ad. tools and Eviewer and um I seen so many programs with an X and I that I couldnt take a screenshot that would cover them allo_Oo_O Thanks

12. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

13. smokie420

that scares me lol whats :O:O suppose to mean on my computers behalf? lol
    smokie

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. smokie420

Just so everyone knows....I wasn't able to do it bc I don't have a OS CD.
    smokie

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I take it you are using a brand-name computer then, like Compaq, Dell, or another..? OEM computers (as those are called) often put the setup files on the drive somewhere, and you may be able to point it in the direction of where they are stored. Also, if you installed a service pack separately you may be able to just point it to the service pack directory.. "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles" ..here's a little tool to help you with the whole process: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

When you went into the event viewer, was it showing errors for multiple programs, or were they all IE? If there are multiple programs, can you list a few?

17. smokie420

Yes, I have Dell. I don't know if SP2 was installed seperately or not.
    And I don't know if the errors are IE or not but here's a Screenshot.

Attached Files:

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

They're all "RS Search", which I wonder if it's a part of the MSN explorer you seem to have.. do you use MSN for your internet service? And can you open one of the error messages and copy/paste what's there? (you'll have to CTRL+C to copy)

19. smokie420

I have IE 6, is what I normally use but since I haven't been able to get into my MSN EMAIL I tried useing MSN EXPLORER in which I hadn't used until last night. The MSN Installation wizard came on and I got an error message (i'll show a screenshot) So far I haven't gotton any more crash reports, I just simply can't sign into MSN at all, it's said before that msn cookies were blocked, but their not!! I can sign into my messenger but not check mail from it! I have notified them but no solutions have been found yet.
    The first screenshot I'll post is from event viewer and I'll upload the error message from the MSN Installation wizard on the second post.
    Thank you all,
    smokie

Attached Files:

20. smokie420

2nd screenshot of msn error message.
    smokie

Attached Files:

21. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hm, yeah it looks like the link between your browser and email was severed (so to speak.) The event log error looks like it was basically saying that it tried to load up your email but didn't know how because something was missing. I saw something similar w/ a computer I worked on a few months back after installing SP2. It turned out to be just a matter of re-registering a DLL file, but unfortunately I don't remember what file it was.

If I had the ability to sit at your computer I'm sure I'd have a lot better luck fixing it, but unfortunately that's not an option here. My suggestion at this point would be to CALL MSN support (877 327 6744, I use them too ;) ) and have them walk you through it. I'm not sure that this will fix your crashing when closing IE, but it just might. After that let me/us know, we'll continue if necessary, but would also like to know if they get it resolved for you :)

Here's THe latest service pack for IE 6, it may be worth reinstalling even if you already have it. You can then go through Windows Update for any other updates needed.

22. smokie420

I still haven't received anything from MSN via email yet, however my problem seems to be resolved. I was haveing problems with msn desktop so i deleted the whe 'toolbar' as of yet, no errors or warnings in Event Viewer! No more problems that I know of, Thank YOu so much NOTOK :)
    Smokie :D

23. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Lol, wel I'm glad it got resolved one way or another :) My pleasure, Smokie.

24. smokie420

I did check out the 'ewido' but i wasn't sure bc it said security suite as download, lol....i'm skeptical sorry, but i did get the free trial version of trojan hunter/guard for like 30 days i think. i still haven't put my computer in safe ;mode to look into addons, bc I haven't had any more crashes, and if I did it said 'hungapp' ....
    unless you would still recommend me putting it in safe mode and running ...avg, spySD,trojan hunter, adaware. which are currently all I have.
    What are injections in IE and should I really get STMD Desktop for such?
    Keep in mind I'm a 'newbie' to computers when it comes to security!
    Thanks for all you've been doing for me, and everyone else!!
    Smokie

25. smokie420

Well, I finally ran computer in safe mode and ran the following scans:
    avg, spybotSD,trojanhunter,adaware, the only thing that found something was adaware, (it always does though) and I removed the entries!
    Now, about the addons we were discussing much earliar in the thread.....I noticed one that says popcap loader by popcaploader...i dont know what it is but i disabled ito_O Thanks
    SMokie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.