Disk cleanup doesn't work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I don't know where this goes.
    My disk cleanup will open, and start,but that's all . I know I can go in and delete the same files disk cleanup does. But I would like to know why it doesn't work? Can anyone help me find out? Thanks
    I have Windows XP :)

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Sonya :) this might fix it, it's a direct download. download it and put it in C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you have XP. or you could just run it first from where it's downloaded to see if it works first. if it does replace the version you have in the system32 folder
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cleanmgr.exe

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It would be nice to read up on something you are just going to place in your system 32 folder, do you have a link to the site the download comes from?

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry, it says Kelly Korner in the link. which is a site that is very well known for fixes that work. anyway here's the link, you'll see why i gave it as a direct download, try trying to find it
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

EDIT i did try it out first too

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thanks Ice I bookmarked the site, lots of stuff there. ;)

7. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Hi iceni60, I downloaded that one to my desktop, and tried it. It works :) So can I leave it on my desktop? I am not good at going into them folders, LOL. How do I get to the sys 32 folder? Just search for it? :D

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi Sonya and BigC :) sorry if i seemed to be abit moody yesterday, i was in the worst mood i can remember ever being in, so, BigC if i seemed abit off please don't worry it was me not you.

Sonya, yes you can just leave it on your desktop, but i think it would be better to swop the corrupted one you have with this new one.

it's really easy to do, then you can still have it on your desktop if you really want to by creating a shortcut. Just right-click the one you downloaded, that i think you said is on your desktop, then select Cut. then go My Computer>C:\WINDOWS\system32\ then right-click again on a blank part of the screen and select paste. Windows will say that you already have it, but do you want to replace it? or words to that affect. just pick OK/yes. and that's it :)

then, if you wont it on your desktop, find it in the system32 folder, right-click it and select Send To Desktop, it wont really send it there, but a copy, so if sometime in the future you want to delete it from your desktop you can and your real version will still be in the system32 folder.

or another way is to keep it in the system32 folder and when you want to use it go Start>Run and type in the run box cleanmgr then OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.