Came across Attack Shield Worm Suppression freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by maddawgz, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Re: Came across worm gaurd freeware

The cons said that it shows you myriads of viruses but to get rid of them, you have to buy the product.

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I'm not sure what that user was thinking of, but it wasn't AttackShield. This product is just buffer overflow protection (for system processes only) as far as I can tell, the only alerts it issues are in the system event log. It's been running on my system just fine, but there's always the question of how effective software based buffer overflow protection actually is.

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

I've given the official link on a rootkits thread and here's it again:

http://www.sanasecurity.com/products/as/index.php

There is a special version which is integrated with Norton AV.

And i'm not sure that it's totally free (i remeber that it costs 9 dollars).

This product us a behaviour approach to prevent worms (known and unknown) and it is not really a Buffer overflow protection (take a look on StackDefender, OverFlowGuard or BufferShield for that).

Regards

5. Guardsman

Guardsman Registered Member

Not so impressive.Preferably Prevx which covers more area.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Looking at this program a bit more, the impression I get is that it will stop anything out of the ordinary for specific system processes, sort of in between the functions of Prevx and ProcessGuard. It's scope of protection is pretty limited, focused just on worms that exploit core system processes, but it's not bad as a freebie. I'm running it alongside Prevx and ProcessGuard without any problems or slowdown, and will protect at least that much when I suspend Prevx or ProcessGuard's protection while I install a new program... I just wish they gave a little more technical info about what it does. I'd email them if I could find an email address, but I may call their toll-free number if I have time.

7. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey maddawgz....I have edited the original Title of your thread("Came across worm guard freeware") so as not to cause confusion in regards to the actual DiamondCS WormGuard

Regards,
    Bubba

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I spoke to their support, and apparently Attack Shield Worm Supression does indeed stop anything out of the ordinary for the processes it protects. It will stop them from using or launching any abnormal code, and will also prevent file attacks. So I was pretty much right when I said it was kind of a combo between PG and Prevx, although it will do a little more in some cases, but won't stop termination. Apparently you can train it to protect other apps as well, although I think you may need to get the paid version for that functionality.

I think this one is a keeper for me.. It will at least keep some critical files from being attacked when PG or Prevx is disabled (during an install, for example.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.