hacker's test

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nicoman, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

This is interesting because for a long time now i ask about Phantom rules and advanced enchanced rules but noones reply to me (or nobody knows).

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

afaik Phan0m did a huge job creating the rules and if someone is the expert is should be him Stephanos, but the rules are very good regarding "logging of traffic."

don't get me wrong: you are better protected with Phant0m's rules / Enhanced Rules then Standard rules...which is quite obvious...but it won't protect you against hackers...it will stealth your puter...and log if something makes outbound connection, if you choose you can get signals for incoming traffic too :)
    I am not trying to bash LnS at all!! I love the program and it does what it's supposed to do and it does it with 3mb in ram :D that's incredible imho...

there is no such thing as a firewall able to stop hackers/block hackers ;) it all depends on how much effort/time they invest in "hacking"...like I said, if being stealth means it you're protected against hackers then we all are safe I guess :)

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yes I have had multiple questions regarding rules, how to set them up, etc, and no one replies back to me either Stephanos, so dont feel bad. :)

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The true definition of a hacker been manipulated over the years by the ignorant, magazines and other resources that are made available to public, falsely educated the true definition of a hacker.

However definition of a word ‘hacker’ is beside the point; let me tell you, a hacker is yet another person, a person who gets bored, a person who makes mistakes, a person who wants entertainment and a person who wants to steal.

And merely being in one’s presence normally is a reason alone to motivate most to want to wanna hack you.

I’m basically saying a hacker nevertheless is human with all the quirks that come with, such as being lame and of annoyance; a hacker needs no quality reason to do what is known for them to do. And it is true there are number of things that would make a hacker more interested, motivated to break into one’s system quicker, for instance, fast box (system with powerful connection), noticeably unprotected system and running exploitable services…

Infinity – first you make a statement “won't help that much against hackers...” then following you make a question “while it makes your puter stealthed ;) I don't know if LnS will protect you against hackers”, now it’d be appreciated if you can stick on making statements for areas you are knowledgeable of.

Now let’s go through this quickly, possible measures to hack somebody;

1.) Exploit of a Running Service (Application acting as server)
    2.) Hardly likely but known to of happen, sends of Incomplete and malformed packets causing anomaly in the OS which offers means to gain control of the person’s system.

Now listen, I’m talking about legit hacking measures used, and not script kiddie’s styles like getting a person to run their E-mail attachments or view E-mail with content malicious in order to gain control of person’s system.

To be frank, I find this topic very humorous, if I had penny for everyone who claimed they could penetrate and gain remote access of my system, I would be a very wealthy person now.

I like to be open-minded even over least logical possibilities, so to anyone with friends or friends of friends or friends of friends of friends or, who think they can penetrate to gain remote access of the user’s system protected with Look ‘n’ Stop and using the available public Phant0m``s Rule-set for Look ‘n’ Stop, bring them my way…
    :p

5. Stephanos G.

The company doesnt support the LnS forum, like ESET do for NOD32.
    I think that LnS needs somebody like Blackspears

Cheers :D

6. Phant0m

Hey …Stephanos G., Jaguar

I apologize for unanswered questions you may have in regards to my Rule-set, I’m rarely on the boards anymore, and when I am I only take couple to glance through. I’m very busy person and trying to get in gear and think for my future, and I really can’t do that and do everything else besides.

There are bit of materials on this forum alone that would answer most of your questions, it is all matter of searching, and the rest like wanting technical details for many rules in the rule-set, like I said I’m very busy person, knowing it is working should be enough to be appreciative, the Ins and Outs for each and every rule require researching on your own time.

If and when time allows, I’ll see what I can do for pages with information per rule in the rule-set.

7. Stephanos G.

Thanks Phantom

8. Infinity

True Phant0m, I aggree that not every scriptkiddie is a hacker...and hacking can have all kind of backgrounds.

again you hit the hamer on the nail...cannot aggree more.

This wasn't addressed to you or to the your rules you made Phantom...it was addressed at LnS would it block a hacker if you executed something on some forum and you are infected with a FU rootkit...if you rely on LnS to get you protected against real hacker attacks like buffer overflows and stuff...how do you want LnS do that? that is an odd statement saying LnS would pass all hack attacks :) you cannot compare let's say Tiny and LnS...
    Like IDS rules and stuff...
    By all means I am no expert and if one should be an expert it is you!!! But I have my own opinion I guess about this.

I think I said it before, you are a Firewall Expert, not me...not intended to be either :)

That is what I was saying before: the chance of turning your computer into a zombie is not that big :) only if you have CC details and stuff / someone wants your machine soooo bad...

The chance of finding someone skilled enough to do that is not so big, let's face it and the possibility to reveal their method, just to proof "your right/wrong", is way to big in your case :) they aren't interested in your computer...they would have a hard time anyway lol
    /edit: apparently we were talking about two different things and I was talking in general terms regarding the word hacking. how in earth should I know it anyway lol how strong Phantoms rules are in regards to this matter?? that wasn't the thing I was saying from the beginning but I understand how it can sound I guess...
    Sincerely

Andy

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  9. Phant0m

Hey Infinity

If a target victim needing to execute malicious code, that isn’t a work of a hacker, from remote sense, it all begins with a packet (remote packet). However, something you seem to be describing is local generating leaks/threats to the outside; that though requiring sandbox capabilities and Application filtering.

But you are right, there is lacking of protection with Look ‘n’ Stop, the controls or capabilities to handle incomplete and malformed packets, the possibilities used that causes anomaly in the OS. And there’s no real concern towards those running services such as www, E-mail and so on (where IDS has a big roll).
    And so we do share the same opinion after all?

I don’t agree in regards to a hacker not wanting to reveal ‘their method’, firstly, now a-days its usually all shared methods, secondly, many do have something to prove and ignore the chance one be wary to what they are up to. And besides many always give low opinion of their targets, so ignoring there is a chance is likely. :D

10. Phant0m

Btw; there are actually a lot on my system that many would find very interesting, except CC# or Passwords for adult sites :p

11. Infinity

I knew it...:)

Look I wasn't even thinking on doubting your rules...if you read carefully you'll see a lot of other things too ;) and I reacted only cause of the statement: "with Phantoms rules, LnS is 100% hacker proof"...

I trialed LnS was last month (Thanx Zev0!) and it was with your rules and I was pleasantly surprised with the firewall due to your rules and low resource usage, outbound control... ... wtf :) but I changed to a better solution for the meantime (that means better for me btw :)) ... an hour ago someone asked me: "Inf, what is a better firewall then - hence this discussion" and I answered: a combination of LooknStop and Processguard/Prevx or SnS with Agnitum :) I still don't bet all my luck on just one horse :) and I thought this was the whole discussion...I misunderstood in fact the discussion lol

12. Phant0m

I know Infinity, but with your clarity, I agree that with the Rule-set, Look ‘n’ Stop isn’t 100% impenetrable, for instance a big concern are towards those who opening themselves up to be capable of using p2p software. I just hope people try to maintain / Update the p2p software, and keep an eye peeled for articles and posts that could detail a possible security issue with the p2p software they have installed and using. And make sure they have enough information to open themselves up properly and without doing it unnecessarily widely more then they need to.

In regards to Outbound, there are two types of rule-sets, Stealthed and Paranoid, Paranoid basically rule-set containing of rule or rules per application communications. Basically matter of disabling the master TCP rule (TCP : Allow) in the rule-set.
    ;)

13. Infinity

or a preconfigured browser rule :)

Take care

Andy

14. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

The really smart ,worldclass, pro hackers would sell what they know for $$, or use it up on a big juicy target. It's now all business. The bored hackerz types you know might have quite a few tricks and hack just the show off, but among the elite I wonder if they are now a dying breed.

15. SueWEE

SueWEE Guest

Hello George S,

Well Gorge,you sure know how to start a party off!,great job buddy!,hope you are proud of yourself? Thanks I was waiting for 3 years for Phant0m to release the rules and there description,but he told me he was working on something at the time,and I left it at that!,people have a life's you know!,But now a bunch of you started to attack Phant0m! with you so called great hacker! friend of yours!,and if he is such a great hacker let him tell you what all the rules mean?OK,if he such the great hacker you are always taking about he should not have a problem explaining the rules to you RIGHT? Or not?Keep us updated Gorge your a joke!......Regard's SueWEE!!!

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That's enough.

1 - I don't see anyone "attacking" Phantom.
    2 - Stephanos didn't begin this thread and I can't him saying anywhere that he has a "hacker friend."

Lastly, personal attacks are not allowed at Wilders so this is here as a reminder to stay on topic.

17. Stephanos G.

Now i see this post. Is some misunderstanding. I never talked about a hacker friend or about a test.
    About Phantom rules, i have requested Phantom (when he has free time) to explain me his rules.
    Phantom reply to me the following:"If and when time allows, I’ll see what I can do for pages with information per rule in the rule-set"

Well,Where is the problem?

18. SueWee

SueWee Guest

OK. Detox,

Point taken!,but he didn't help matters if you reread the whole thread?,but it WAS Nicoman! where is that person?Anyway this is what got these mess started!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78114&page=1&pp=25

posts 1-3 they thought they are very clever,so all I was saying let the so called great hacker that thinks he can hack into this guy's computer.Let him tell them all about Phant0m's rule-set if he is so great it should not be a problem? This whole thing is a joke!,and hacking has nothing to do with LnS,it makes Wilders security site look like a bunch of little kids! It's a joke and not too many people are laughing!, except these few people. And where has it gotten them? Nowhere! And this is not a personal attack on anybody! just stating the fact's! And I am sorry if I have offend anybody, that was not my intention,regard's Sue

19. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Suewee,

I think you are confusing the facts and adding in a bit of fiction/drama. I agree with Detox in that you were out of line with your post.

If you really feel this way, perhaps it should be taken elsewhere. I mean you come in here continually and post as a "guest". At least take the time to sign up here on these forums instead of trying to instigate something.

I am not trying to flame you personally here in any way by stating this, just merely pointing out some constructive criticism, as I am not a moderator on these forums. I am a moderator on other forums however and feel that you should fully think before you post something. ;)

Regards,

Jag

20. SeeWee

SeeWee Guest

Hello Jaguar,

No offense taken from you,but if you took the time to read a bit you would not be asking a questions every 5 minutes of the day,it's all in the search engine use it,No offense to you but get your facts straight before asking questions that have already be asked over and over again!,I don't sign in because I don't have to! my right! and have a been a member for over 5 years,just got learn to take some time to read,that's all.......good luck

21. Stephanos G.

What is your problem if Jaguar asking questions?
    :mad:

22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

SeeWee seems to own stocks to this or something... the reactions of him/her are quite pathetic.

LnS is nice, but not holy or something, so please lighten up!

23. SeeWee

SeeWee Guest

I agree wth you I have no stocks or quotes or anything,but these people are jokers,but at least now they are asking questions about LnS which is good,but before they even tried to learn the thing they started up with there smart remark's,and LnS and how they can hack it and it's not holy!I know that ED!,and I did lighten up since they are actally asking some good questions instead of bragging about there so called hacker friend,wakeup ED!so please lighten up!I think they actually want to learn something now.

24. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Sorry Mods for getting involved in this thread since I don't use LnS but I like to read all the forums here. Wilders is a great security site.

SeeWee you, or your brother SueWee, should actually try to comprehend what you read. Nowhere was anyone making smart remarks or bragging about there hacker friend or how they can hack LnS.

It seems like you are the joker here since you keep flaming other posters.

Which is it. Should a person not ask questions or ask questions.

Actually, you are not a member, you're a guest.

You offend me everytime you post.

It seems this thread outlived its usefulness. Mods, I'm not telling you what to do just asking to PLEASE lock or delete this thread before I pull my hair out with disgust.

Thanks,

Jaws

25. Stephanos G.

The behaviour of suewee is unacceptable for this place, this is my opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.