Outpost Pro 2.6.451.5123 released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

As of this morning, this version is now available for download. What's new/changed?

Agnitum’s Outpost Firewall 2.6 boasts powerful new improvements in security and performance. Version 2.6 even includes the new Outpost Firewall Browser Adjustment plug-in so you can control your Ads and Active Content plug-in directly from within Internet Explorer.

The following issues are fixed (only major are listed):

- Several shell crashes
    - Agnitum Update issues
    - Outpost did not accept the registration key after the update period had expired
    - Issues with FTP clients under Windows XP SP2 with ICS enabled
    - Several password protection issues
    - Several issues concerning blocking/slowing down of network access
    - Rules Wizard issues on incoming connections

Scope it out at: http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

2. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I think I'll renew my licence now :)

4. BaRaKa

BaRaKa Registered Member

Is it ok to install over a previous version of Outpost or should I uninstall version 2.5 first?

5. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Not had a problem myself but I'd be interested to see all those people on the Outpost forums report if it fixes any BSOD problems - I see way too many BSOD postings on those forums and numerous occasions they uninstall Outpost, use a different firewall and their machine is stable again...

I really hope Agnitum can nail down more BSOD issues.

Fedorov.

6. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

you can probably install ove 2.5 - i chose not to tho cos all my rules were becoming a mess and i wanted to stat all over

aboud bsods...ive run op for many years and not had a single bsod since outpost 1 was in beta stages

7. PnP

PnP Registered Member

I try to new version but I see that loss too much performance on my PC... I use new NOD beta but the problem i don't think that antivirus..

Return to zonealarm.. :(

8. BaRaKa

BaRaKa Registered Member

During installation of new version it asks you to uninstall the old version first. :)

9. Infinity

just to add: I never received any bsod either...

10. BaRaKa

BaRaKa Registered Member

Same here. Hope it stays the same way with this new version. :)

11. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

Hopefully this will be a semi working version ... unlike all their previous releases that were beta's at best. I love the firewall but it isn't the most reliable. I have an event log full of Outpost exe crashes and problems.

12. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

thats strange cos i havent had a single problem with it for like 3 years

13. Infinity

It's not that strange actually, and I truely believe that a program doesn't have to react the same on my pc then on yours...even if all the other programs are the same things can happen (bios error, io error, driver issue, corrupt download, whatever)

I heard from others about numerous bsods...it will be a "wait and see" for a lot of peeps on how this build will be...I'll always use Outpost Pro (mainly because of the plugins like blockpost)...I am trying looknstop now but honestly I like Outpost better, it feels better (and heavier too :)) and why change a winning team right?

sincerely

Inf.

14. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

I have been thinking of trying out Outpost for a good while now, maybe now is the time to do it

I'm well and truly sick of ZA 5.x, so I either go back to 4.5.x or use something else

15. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Has anyone else noticed that in the network activity window, some items are now marked as n/a ?

16. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

the n/a stuff used to be called 'system' before. i think its just dead connections, like if u close a browser while downloading a page the site will still try to send u data..i guess

17. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Also, when rebooting it asks if you want to continue to use the old configuration files. If, unlike the person who originally asked the question about uninstalling the old version, you wish to keep your current configuration, including all those pesky application permissions, you simply select the use old configuration. Also, it is helpful to back up your config and configuration files ([drive]:/program files/agniutm/outpost firewall/config*.* and configuration*.*] somewhere in case you have to do a "clean" install of the program. That way if the config. files become corrupted you won't have to go through a slew of permission requests if you have to completely uninstall and reinstall the program.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gottadoit

I just installed Outpost on my new laptap and it works beautifully. I am switching my desktop to outpost, after my final Safe'n'Sec test with ZA. I am switching because when I switched to comcast, suddenly I had a port wide open, and couldn't really figure out why. I trialed Outpost on my desktop and it worked fine, and quickly helped identify the problem. Port now closed.

Pete

19. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Yes folks its one arse kickin firewall no one can compare
    and its just keeps gettin better!!
    For Your Info Just In Case
    Please note that Outpost Firewall PRO 2.6 is not yet available through Agnitum Update. So those upgrading will need to download a complete copy from the Outpost PRO Download Page.

20. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi Peter2150!

I know this is a bit off-topic, but what test might you be reffering to?

CU
    Jazzie

21. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

anyone else noticing a terrible slowdown when running windows update with the new ie sidebar thing installed? with it installed it was runing at 11 kbps, once i disabled it win update ran at normal speeds (200kbps)

dont know if this affects other sites than win update, cos i use firefox for that

22. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

I dont think it says n/a with just dead connections, i get it with blocked ones & system bootps

n/a 10.132.64.1 BOOTPS Allow Outgoing DHCP 4304 Bytes 0 Bytes 98 bps IN 18:03:41 43 sec(s) 255.255.255.255 UDP BOOTPC ---

Before that was under system?

23. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

everything seems to be running fine here on my end. however, i don't use internet explorer.

24. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

I dont use most of the plugins, just the ad's & attack detection ones.

When i went to windowsupdate yesterday to update i first saw that panel thingy, suffice to say it was closed in a shot.

What agnitum really need to do is get someone from the company to monitor their support forum, if kerio bods monitor things at their forum i dont see why agnitum should ignore their own forum

PS i only use IE for updates, using IE nowadays is like before U go on holiday & give Ur house keys to Ur burgler neighbour & asking him to keep an eye on the house lol.

25. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have been wondering about the o.t.t install or complete uninstall. I was one with the blue screen before they fixed the HT issues and now I am afraid to make a clean install just in case my now working version goes wrong with any left overs there may be if I uninstalled.

The actual uninstall detailed on OP's forum is very detailed and not just uninstall - clean the bits with a registry cleaner - it goes much deeper than that o_O

I have just installed o.t.t. for the previous update but now have 2 OP details in my Agnitum folder so this would make 3. Hopefully that is OK as when I discovered I had 2 it was because of the over install when it was available last time via the auto update.

I have the new version downloaded but will make sure to backup my configs. first. I think I may just keep my old configs as they are/were working :doubt:

What is the IE bar thing meant to do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.