Is it time to re-think the "un-registered posters" issue?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by spy1, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm seeing an awful lot of stuff being posted by non-registered users' lately that's either flame-bait or just flat-out wrong.

To me, personally, there is absolutely no reason not to require registration before allowing people to post. It would prevent flame baiting, sure - but mostly, it would allow people to become familiar with who they're actually "talking" to or receiving advice from.

Over the course of time everyone would be able to get their own "feel" for those whom they want to accept advice or help from because they'd always have that registered person's 'track record" instantly available.

This is not the case regarding non-registered users posts - you haven't a clue as to who they are nor what their agenda really is or whether they even actually know what they're talking about.

I think it's worth discussing in the open. Pete

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) I don't know, the mods do a good job, an there is always that exclamation thing one can click if they take exception to any post. I know other forums require registration, but to me Wilders has always been a step ahead of the others. Just my opinion.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :doubt: :eek: :oops:

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Its not particularly hard to register a new user if you really want to make semi-anonymous comments without them being attributed to your forum persona...

I think that people that persist in making comments using the same user name and not bothering to register themselves could usefully be enticed to register (in some way), simply to stop other anonymous posters "sharing" the unregistered name

As far as getting things wrong, flaming and making incorrect statements that is all part of the learning process and registration probably won't help that

Would there be much benefit forcing registrations and then finding registered Wilders accounts showing up in the BugMeNot database ?

I think that anonymous comments are useful and sometimes the flame baiting can be downright funny. As a parallel, you might consider how much attention and weight you would give to a strangers comment made in passing...

4. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

"I think that anonymous comments are useful and sometimes the flame baiting can be downright funny. As a parallel, you might consider how much attention and weight you would give to a strangers comment made in passing..." (gottadoit)

Amen!

Being able to post without registering was one of the major reasons I registered. Guest posts should be welcome and Wilder's do. One of the reasons why Wilder's is so popular.

"Over the course of time everyone would be able to get their own "feel" for those whom they want to accept advice or help from because they'd always have that registered person's 'track record" instantly available." (Spy1)

Even with a good track record NO ONE IS PERFECT (sorry guyz). People should read a lot of different views and make a judgement based on that.

Guests should be welcome to post and I think we all agree that "...the mods do a good job" (wildman)

Guest posts: Long may they continue!

Born

5. I agree- the mods do a wonderful job here. Actually, though, I think it would be easier on them had they only to deal with registered users.

It's quite too easy to post as someone else (even after you've been banned, FI).

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And, yes - post #5 was me .

Comforting thought, isn't it? Pete

7. bluebird

bluebird Guest

So even if you DO some measure of trust for someone posting under a given anon "nic" - how can you be sure that that's who you're talking to??

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

And yes, that was me again.

People don't always play by the rules. The potential for abuse here is quite evident now, isn't it?

That's my last post for today (or is it? :) ) - gotta go to work. Pete

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Pete,

For sure you or anyone else is entitled to discuss this issue in public over on this board - as you well know there are very few things we do not allow ;) .

That said: we are fully aware of the pro's and cons coming with the way we do run this place. In this context: nothing will change, whatever the outcome from this discussion/thread.

In case staff at any time and any given moment decides to change view on this issue, changes will be made. As it is, we don't even consider changing.

regards,

paul

10. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

And .....errm....... Pete ~How do I put this gently~. How long has this "talking to yourself" been going on. :D :p ;)

Regards,

Pieter

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Maybe he suffer dual personality disorder :p:D

j/k dont get heated up, please :)

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

After conferring with all available personalities, we have come to the conclusion that we're down wid dat. Pete :eek:

13. Name Game

Name Game Guest

That un-registered spider in your Avatar is also "down with dat"..but then it keeps on going up and down and not sure if it wants to do the WEB.

smiles to ya Pete.

14. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I think everyone should get eye tests too!

Attached Files:

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well I can see well enough (b'coz I only have optical power on left eye:p:)), but my doc told me that my specs lens is actually .25 less than my actual power, b'coz I dont need the extra .25 yet :p:)

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All your bases are belong to us. You have no chance to survive. Make your time. :D

17. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

18. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Here is a positive side to being unregistered. About a year or so ago, I was having a problem staying logged in as a Member. I had no problem logging in as a guest. Because I was able to do this, I got help here and was able to rectify the problem. :cool: So, you see it is not all bad!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.