How secure is it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jefforey, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefforey

jefforey Guest

Greeings;

A quick question..

I'm a little paranoid about my data, and I would like to know how safe it is to password protect an Image.

If I forget my backup DVD on a park bench, should I worry? Is it possible for someone to retrieve the data. (say that the password is something like s9duj2P320uasIUsksdu92jGmd9wum)

Thanks!

Jeff

2. Yellow-Cab-Driver

Yellow-Cab-Driver Registered Member

Well, i once asked the support whether images are encrypted when secured by password. The answer was NO! They don't think, it is necessary - i don't know why, i have to admit!!

In short this means, even if you give it a password, the information is stored IN PLAIN and readable easily for a guy familiar with the structure of the images. Only TI would deny easy access to the image.

I would rather not "forget" a dvd containing an image in the park ;-)

3. Jefforey

Jefforey Guest

Hi!

Yes, I actually saw your post when searching for the answer, but I didn't really understand wether it would be possible to retreive the data or not.

I suppose it is possible since the image isn't encrypted, but I don't know anything about such thing sp I thought I ask..

Still wondering though, is it possible?

Thanks

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jefforey,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Currently we do not encrypt password protected images. However, we do have this option in our Enhancement List and we expect it to be implemented in future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Yellow-Cab-Driver

Yellow-Cab-Driver Registered Member

Thanks Ilya, very nice to know, i hope when implemented strong encryption will be used.

To the question, whether it is possible to recover the data contained by a password protected image now: i for myself would not be able to regain the information, as perhaps most of ti users would not be. But in fact, and from a theoretical point of view, your information is readable, if one wants to try, and has the knowledge to do so not comparable to the security encryption adds!

You declared yourself somehow "paranoid": in this case if would say: your information is NOT secured anyway... :doubt:

6. Jefforey

Jefforey Guest

Hi!

Thanks for the answer, now I know..

So I guess forgetting the backup DVD in the park isn't a good idea until the new version of TI.. :)

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.