Firewall suggesting?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TrBot, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

I just set up a PC for my aunty. (XP). She doesn't know much about computers, and she said she wants a firewall. I need to know a fairly good firewall, and one that my aunt can use without setting up this that or the other.
    I thought of Norton, but that's out of her $ range.

Noone mention Windows Firewall lol

Please keep in mind it's a 600mhz 128mb ram 17 gb hd.

Any help?

2. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Greetings. I use Sygate pro version. I find that its a "set and forget" firewall. It has passed every test I thru at it. It doesn't pass all the leak tests, but if noone can get in, then nothing can get out. Sygate also has a free version and a very active forum for help. This is one persons opinion. Hope this helps.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Why do yo consider the windows firewall to be a lol item?

Its free, low on resources and easy to use. If your aunt does not have it on right now while you look for a third party solution, her PC is probably owned by now.

4. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

I put SP2 on there lol. But I'm definite there are better F/w than Windows one.

I was hust asking opinions is all.

5. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Hands down, Windows SP2 ICF is the firewall of choice for myself. A no-sense, easy to configure, shield against most/all incoming threats.

It's, really, all the majority of home users needs, IMHO. :)

6. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

It's just odd that I see a lot of people on this forum talking about different firewalls.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Many of the contributors to this forum are seeking cutting edge security solutions and are not necessarily mainstream users. A few go overboard and recommend cutting edge solutions to those that either do not need or can handle them.

Of course there are better firewalls than the XP SP2. It is just that a person who does not too much about computing is likely to not need one of them, nor would they be able to correctly respond to some of the warnings the firewall issues.

8. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

personally, i don't use it for two main reasons:
    1). Windows Firewall does not monitor or block outbound traffic.
    2). In-bound blocking doesn't keep a malicious payload from piggybacking on legitimate traffic such as e-mail or Web traffic going to Outlook or Internet Explorer.

i think there is much more flexability in using a third party software firewall, and more security options available for those who are willing to invest a little time in making their computer more secure. however it is easy to use, but then again, so is za.

trbot: what about an old version of za? it's simple to operate and doesn't use as many resources as the newer versions. maybe a hardware firewall could be the way to go. IMHO it's as good as the sp2 firewall.

just throwing out some suggestions, good luck!

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Here is my suggestion:
    First my elder Mom is going to get a PC soon and knows zip about PC's I will be setting her up and doing a lot of hand holding.

1) Get a Firewall. The XP one will do fine in a pinch but is not a long term solution. Application control is important. Even a Newbie needs to understand about things that want to get out and why. You know these things I have seen your posts.

2) Get her a good AV. And show her about making sure she it is getting updates, automate as much as possible including scans.

3) Need a Trojan Killer of some kind. Do not rely on AV alone.

4) Spyware killer freebies are optional but I suggest it.

I will let the rest of the members address which is best (for now) I have my favs but this is more about personal choice and the user and no one here knows your aunty better then you. ;) The rest is all about safe web useage.The brain part. :)

Anything more then what I have mentioned is for the "cutting edge" as you say. Just mho. Good luck. She is lucky to have a member of this forum helping her. Conections, thats important too. :D ;) Intox offerings are good too :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I must agree with Mercurie AND Intox , to a degree . I am all about the best . For what you are taliking about , I think Mercurie is right on the money . But , Intox saying ZA is a possibility is a good one . Not the best firewall but , EASY to configure and understand . I find it to be a little better than XP s firewall . I honestly believe that you have your answers in those two posts . Good luck my dear . I think you will be fine .

11. INTOXSICKATED

come on hollywood, i hate za as much as the next person! :D but a little better than the xp firewall?

12. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I agree that ZoneAlarm free is a tad better than Windows ICF. But, for a novice, I think it should suffice. Its pretty easy to configure.

13. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I recommend Mcafee Desktop Firewall. Its good, and easy to use.

Also of the three ISP's that i, my sister and my auntie use (all broadband) all give this away for free. So if it might be worthwile just to check with your ISP to see if they give it away for free. (my sister also gets a years subscription to Mcafee Virusscan free too). Whereas i get with AOL the Spyware Eliminator clone AOL spyware detector free (but wouldnt touch spyware eliminators stuff after what i have read about them! so dont have it installed even though AOL pester me everytime i phone for support to use it).

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

even outpost is very easy once you learn where evrything is. there will be a learning curve on all firewalls especially if she has no experience with them. ther is no such thing as a 100% set and forget firewall. at least ive never found one.

zone is one of the more easy ones. myself i really dont like zone at all. it is an ok firewall i will agree much better than the xp one. an zone will block in and out. but be ready for a buggy firewall with the newer versions of za. and if you dont like it uninstall is a pain in the neck without knowing how to get rid of registry entries etc...

i disagree on using sygate i do not feel this is a "easy set and forget firewall"
    and there are issues there.

i guess what im saying is they all have benefits and problems. i think an application based would be the better choice here for you instaed of any rules based. as far as ram and resource goes:
    kerio is ridiculous 25-30mb all the time
    za 17-25 most of the time
    outpost 6-8 most of the time sometimes up to 18 rare though
    then you have other which are very light but would not be recc. to you in this case much more steep learning curves there.

any of the three would work well in my opinion i would try outpost and set it up for her it will only ask if it needs something which is not that often.

15. hollywoodpc

Ok Intox . Just wanted to get YOU riled up . LOL . ALOT better than XPs . How is that ?

16. INTOXSICKATED

much better. :D (i still hate it tho). ;)

17. hollywoodpc

:D :D Me toooooooo :cool: :cool:

18. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Is it true that Zone Alarm makes your pc lag Big time? I have never used it, but heard of it.

Ya know what is funny, Xeon Firewall id a direct rip off of Sygate. Only difference is, Xeon comes bundled with Clock Sync and Whenusearch crap.
    Oh that and it opens up multiple DOS windows, LOL.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not always , a lot depends on your machin. like kaspersky for instance: it runs fine for some and for others makes the system crawl. some report that za does. it did slow my machine down a decent amount, but it was more internet wise than anything else. in other wise i didn't see an actual "performance hit" but did slow my browsing considerably

20. INTOXSICKATED

the newer versions slowed me down qite a bit, but i also had compatability issues as well. the older za versions, >4.5 seemed allot faster and used less resources. za also had less features back then as well and was not piled down with extra junk. i always felt it ran better back when they were just a firewall!

21. mercurie

Amen!

22. INTOXSICKATED

i wonder how many people came to this forum after dealing with the za 5.0 release, searching for a better alternative?

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

TRBot I have never had ZA slow my computer and I have had it on some pretty old computers in my shop that I used for testing. ZA 4.5 is a very good firewall

bigc

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  24. mercurie

Lots I think. I have completely left the Zone Alarm forum, it was time to broaden my horizons anyway... :) ;)

25. INTOXSICKATED

just this week i finally took the za forum off my favorites list. i hadn't participated in a long time, but i was still checking it out to see what was going on.
    sorry about that diver, that comment was made in poor taste. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.