antihook free for home users

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by zorro zorrito, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all, I know this is not as complete as ProcessGuard but in this moment it is free for home users and that´s not bad, THIS IS NOT PUBLICITY. I put it here because it is good and free.

http://www.infoprocess.biz/AntiHook.aspx

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Interesting . I almost tried this one a ways back . Can anyone comment on this after using it ? Curious . Do not think I would ever need it based on all I use but , suggestions would be cool . Thanks

3. anti-spy

anti-spy Guest

Does look interesting and free is always a nice touch. ;) I wonder how it can be compared to Prevx and if they could be used together. I use Prevx now (but not Process Guard) so maybe i'll give this a try. Thanks for posting about it Zorro Zorrito.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks for the links Zorro, free is always appreciated by a leech like myself. Looks like it would be a perfect supplement to my Kerio 2.15 without all the annoyances of a full fledged outbound firewall.

I was looking for something like this but looks like you have a far better searching technique than I have.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Looks interesting as it seems to focus on a subset of the things that Process guard does, But are probably a greater indication that something is wrong. IMO, just telling the user that a new application is about to run is useless, because he probably started it in the first place andit is way too broad. Termination prevention is OK, but a lot of firewalls and AV's have that built in. So, what is left is the more interesting stuff.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Diver,

It popped up messages and let me block all of the leak tests like Tooleaky, Leaktest, Wallbreaker etc, it also allows you to block explorer.exe from any net access by editing in its rule editor and unlike other programs, is the least intrusive and also easy on resources, a mere 6.35mb on my system, suggest you give it a try. This one lets those of us who truly like Kerio 2.15 a new lease of life with it.

7. Arup, yes it passes those tests.
    If PARANOID2000 looks at this post, it would be good for us to give his opinion about it and the diferences considering AntiHook, Process Guard and System Safety Monitor.
    I am using Antihook now and works fine, I am using it with jetico.

8. hollywoodpc

Antihook is good from what I can tell . Too much overlap with Prevx and PG . Alot with only PG . Paid version anyway . If you do not have PG paid , I suggest picking this one up . I still need to play with the protection aspect as opposed to popups of normal things . From what I see , it looks good . And no problems here . I would still run it with something else . As I do with PG . Good luck guys and go for it Diver . Jump on in and see . The water is fine

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Zorro,

Do you really need this with Jetico as Jetico itself is quite a formidable anti hook program, on its own, it blocks all the tests thrown at it. I am using it with Kerio 2.15 and it would also be an excellent supplement to CHX-I.

10. hollywoodpc

Sorry . Did not realize Zorro was using Jetico . I see no need either as , again , this will be overlapping quite a bit .

11. Yes I run it with jetico, it is aditional proteccion. before I run jetico with process guard 2 free, and now I am using it with antihook. As I said before, I hope Paranoid2000 posts about this, I have seen many opinions of his own about process guard and system safety monitor and it looks he knows mucho about this kind of programs.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

What I like about this is the rule editor, it allowed me to implicitly block explorer's right to any kind of access to IE. Another interesting observation, when I load Tooleaky or Wallbreaker, they load through the Adobe Helper and WGET active X components, have disabled both and now none gets through.

13. wired30

wired30 Guest

This program has a 80 digit activation code, talk about paranoid!

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Well it is free and there is always copy/paste.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

From the antihook website:
    I now have XP on my new (dual-boot) computer, but I seldom use it. All of my favorite production programs are oldies that won't run except under Win9X. Sigh.

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

It is using user mode DLL injection hooking to monitor API calls. That is not a very reliable method of protection as it is quite easy to bypass and disable. A² uses the same approach.

Process Guard is much more secure as it works on driver level (kernel).

17. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Chris,

My apologies, if I would have seen your post first, the credit would go to you.

19. Chris12923 I an sorry my friend, and I only may say that this is my second time to post this, the last one is over here, but now I did it again because it is now free, so that I tought it would be good to post it here. I hope it helps people who are looking for this kind of software. Before I posted here a similar program:
    ProcAlert, but it didn´t have an happy end, I am always looking for this kind of programs.

20. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

Thanks to all for posting the info. on Antihook.

I am in the process of finding an alternative to my Prevx. I haven't managed to update Prevx ever since Prevx 2.0 came out. The reason is that I am behind Uni. firewall (I use my Uni as my ISP) and they would let Prevx 2.0 send info. back to Prevx. Hence, I have not been able to update Prevx 2.0 for a while now. I like Prevx 2.0 but I can't update so that is not much use if I can't update.

I am not tech savvy so need to rely a lot on your expert opinion on everything regarding PC & Softwares.

So my questions are:

1) How does it compare to Prevx? Easy to use? Cover the same areas? i.e. similar protection?

2) Does it require info to be sent back to AntiHook?
    (Just like Prevx as this means I cannot update at all as my Uni. firewall will not let me do that)

3) Where are the Installation manual?

4) Most importantly where are the Uninstall manual?

5) What's the different between Home user version and Pro version? Sorry I can't find much info. comparing them ...

You info. is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Chew

21. Chris12923

I am just joking around no big worries.

Again no problem. Just kidding around. I'm glad you posted again and got responses. It is a fairly new program that needs some recognition.

Antihook covers
    Injecting code through system-wide and local Windows Hook DLLs, launching ActiveX/COM modules, mapping Browser Helper Objects in Internet explorer and Windows Explorer
    Modifying an area of memory that belongs to another process
    Executing code in another process
    Attaching a debugger to another process
    Starting a new programs from within MS Outlook, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
    Doesn't cover registry.

Does not require info to be sent.

I will get this for you and post it back here.

You can use the windows add/remove programs.

The only difference is the home version is free. This is hard to beat.

Hope this helps,

Chris

22. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Good program! Seems to be able to block Global Hooks, a feature of PG too. I'm gonna try it out... :cool:
    Similar to PG I must say...

23. Chris12923

Yes it is a great program. They have great support as well. When you first run it make sure it is a clean system and use the fingerprint mode or you will get many alerts.

Thanks,

Chris

24. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

25. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

How can you make sure you have a clean system before running it? Extensive Spyware, AV and AT scans of your pc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.