ARCAVIR 2005 vs BITDEFENDER 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

Good Morning and like to hear your opinions or comparatives beteween :

ARCAVIR 2005
    BITDEFENDER 8

How would be better detection, low resources, in general terms What products would be better ? The AV will be installed in Laptops, No Games, just a lot Internet and Email traffic,

Thank you,

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This is a no-brainer. ArcaVir of course. But me being a tester you probably wouldnt accept my word.

ArcaVir's got better detection, better heuristics, better features and retails at $29. Its got the best value for money I've ever seen in any AV.

And its lighter than BD..at least on my system. Its only slightly heavy during the memory scan, after that I hardly feel its presence.

Therefore this is not a choice.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
    Firecat

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BitDefender just because of few "bugs" in ArcaVir (like ArcaVir monitor scanning all files on Windows Defragmenter Analyse command)

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

ArcaVir may run lighter on your computer and have better support than BitDefender. This AV may however, be more prone to false positives if heuristics are cranked up.

BitDefender Professional Plus will certainly run heavier on your system particularly if all options are enabled. BD has the better unpacking engine.

As regards protection;

1. FF's results suggest that ArcaVir may be better with trojan detection, while BitDefender will give better protection against viruses.

2. The results over on av-comparatives suggest that BitDefender's on-demand scanner against zoo malware is very good as awarded an "Advanced" tag. In contrast a very recent test on the same site suggests that ArcaVir is a "Standard" AV.

But as we always advise, trial the two and see which one suits both you and your system.

You could always go with ArcaVir and have the free BitDefender as backup ;)

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I think BitDefender is superiour in detection to Arcavir... This may be changed in 6 month, since Arcavir has alot of potential, but till now BitDefender is the better one of these two...

6. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

You must be using Perfectdisk as I am, this has been a problem since MKS2004 and still persists. I have learned to live with it since it only delays about 30 seconds before the analysis begins and I only check fragmentation about once every couple of weeks. It also slows Adaware down drastically on opening unless you exclude the .ini file but I do not use adaware much anymore. Still, I wish they would fix it.
    The false positives have been greatly reduced to almost nil, but if you think you have one and submit it, it is usually fixed in a couple of days.
    I have submitted 5 or 6 and all have been fixed in that time period.

7. Blackcat

Honyak

As a ArcaVir user, can its RTM scan archived/packed files?

8. tBB

tBB Registered Member

+1 for BitDefender

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Yes it can, this is set in the options menu.

10. Blackcat

Thanks, Honyak

Not many AV RTM's can scan archives/packed files.

Therefore both running Guards of Bitdefender and ArcaVir can scan these files.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

NAV2005,BitDefender,Avast! Pro,ArcaVir,Kaspersky...
    These can scan archives in real-time for sure :) But it's useless to scan them in RT anyway.

12. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

If my choice was between those two, i'd pick ArcaVir.

Better registry protections, easy tray icon access to all features of the product WITHOUT going into another menu. Strong as hell heuristics, fast and light, yet with excellent detections. (and I do mean fast and light)

With that being said, Arcavir has its problems, namely:

1) False positives.
    2) A few stability bugs. On one machine here, Arcavir simply won't let the machine boot. I uninstall Arcavir, everything is fine. Nobody knows why.
    It has a few other slightly less annoying bugs, but its not "Quite" refined yet.
    3) Terrible interface.

Its my second choice of an AV, i've switched to a Dr.Web + Safe'n'Sec combo now, but Arca is my second choice, i'll be watching for their 2006 version, hopefully it will improve enough for me to go back to it. I didn't like BitDefender much at all though in comparison.

13. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

You can add GData AVK 2005 to that list. :D

14. polaris

polaris Guest

buy arcavir and use as on access scanner and download free bit defender as on demand scanner backup. :)

15. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Or better yet, run Arcavir, then buy and install Safe'n'Sec, which uses the latest BitDefender engines On-Demand only!

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BitDefender 8 is using Engine version 7.x too.

17. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Would it be ok to add Panda Internet Security 2005 to this AV vs AV thread? I'm interested in what people think about it.

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mannaggia,

To help future user's in searching for things, I'd recommend starting a new thread but include a link in the starting post referring back to this thread as well as a link pointing from this thread to the new one. That way the two discussions are distinct, but connected for all time.

Blue

19. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Never mind.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.