Top 10 Anti-Virus products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

According to Frost & Sullivan research from 2004, Symantec is the most used antivirus solution with McAfee taking 2nd place. Surprised? I didn't think so. :cool:

Top 10 Anti-Virus products:
    1. Symantec 38,1%
    2. NAI 21,2%
    3. Trend Micro 15,2%
    4. Sophos 3,6
    5. Computer Associates 3,4%
    6. Sybari 2,1%
    7. Panda 1,9%
    8. F-Secure 1,4%
    9. Kaspersky 1%
    10.Norman 0,9%

The rest of antivirus products share 11.1% of worldwide market.

tECHNODROME

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

chaos16, this is what you were looking for, the global survey, the ones I told you were of my country.

I expected Trend Micro to be 2nd, though.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Technodrome,

Have you a link to the original article/source? Are these results for the Corporate market only or total sales.

No surprises in your list really. A very big gap between the first three and the rest.

But I thought that F-Prot/Authentium may have sneaked in due to their Corporate presence.

Sophos was not a surprise as they are very big here in the UK Corporate market and are expanding rapidly overseas.

4. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Looks like it includes the corporate market. Surprised though that F-Secure beat out KAV.

5. Firecat

I'm not surprised...F-Secure made its way into certain markets a bit before KAV...I remember seeing F-Secure for the first time some 5 years ago.

6. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i just wish that ppl would really know how cr*p symantec really is.

7. Technodrome

BC I don't have a source link. See more about this research here .

tECHNODROME

8. Firecat

And Trend too...just because they have good features and attractive interface they sell...their detection is worse than Symantec!

9. Technodrome

I think strong advertisement has something to do with this. NOD32,DrWeb,KAV and F-Prot, on the other hand don't advertise at all.

tECHNODROME

10. Firecat

Trend's advertising has never been as strong as Symantec, though Trend does put out many promotions. Its just the price/features ratio advertising that has got them this far.

11. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Agreed. Trend sells 'coz it has some extra plugins, scans in more formats and under more OSes, and has a low price.

12. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Eset advertises in PC Magazine or PC World, full page and in color. NOD is a good product, but the interface is a bit too complex for the typical home user. Microsoft may use it at their release labs, but those guys are high order geeks.

Trend is one to really watch out for. They are doing a good job at taking market share from Symantec and NAI. The 900 lb gorilla is just around the corner, Microsoft now owns Sybari, Giant and RAV. It is estimated that MS would take a 35% market share when it releases a desktop AV. Sybari is totally enterprise.

13. Firecat

ArcaVir is the wave of the future...good heuristic detection, good signature detection, excellent features, excellent price and excellent interface. What else can one ask for?

14. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

A decent and cheap corporate licensing regime along with ease of installation and use over a couple of hundred of workstations, seamless deployment of updates, patches etc.

15. dog

dog Guest

Well actually they aren't ... They do offer very good protection ... They should however release updates more frequently than the standard ~Weekly's~ through "Live Update" ... they do provide ~Daily's~ through Intelligent Updater however.

The only issue people seem to have with Symantec is system resources ... well that certainly isn't the end all, be all measure ... and certainly isn't a measure of the protection provided -especially considering the performance of modern machines-. They also have some very good self-protection features. I think it's a very good solution for the average user.

Another thing that has to changes is the Live Registration ... that some have issues with performing.

Overall it is a solid AV solution. ;)

Regards,

Steve

It would be wise to backup your statements with you're thoughts ... making blanket statements to ~flame~ a product doesn't serve anyone. :(

16. Technodrome

If it weren't for advertisements and the store shelve space, Trend Micro would never sell.

Any retail store here in the USA is filled with Symantec's, Mcafee's and Trend's boxes.

tECHNODROME

17. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

This have to be the corporate ranking list where the vendors were getting most of their revenues.

How can you even count the number of AntiVir PE home users, when there is no registration policy? DrWeb says that they are the nr. 1 Russia. Kaspersky has millions of free users by using the cracked reg. key. All these and many other things are beyond the real truth of the commonness of certain av-products.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  18. Firecat

Do you think the situation is any different here? Only that in South India eScan and NOD32 also have a presence, and NOD32 seems to be seeling OK (but really nothing compared to the big three), in West India only eScan and quickheal, and in North India KAV and Panda.

Panda and NOD32 seel reasonably well, but as I said earlier, nothing compared to the big three.

Regards,
    Firecat

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Norton Antivirus by Symantec was one of the first for Win95 if I remember correctly.

20. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    yes sure if it so great how come about 90% of the systems I see infested in my shop run norton. The other 10% usually dont have anything but sometimes I see somebody with avg. I also have a contract with wilcox farms and they use mcaffee and although it has its own issues it has never had as many issues as norton.

I suggest you back up what you say when Some of use work on hundreds of systems and get to see just how bad norton is almost every day. And dont even get me started on the whole suite just the av is bad enough. I just hope they dont trash the partition magic and other products they got from powerquest like they seem to do with everything else they purchase.

Ease of use is not everything when the price to pay in the end is much worse if the software was not even on the system to begin with.

21. Technodrome

Unless they spend millions of bucks (which I doubt it) on marketing/advertisement campaigns they will stay unknown brand to the rest of world.

tECHNODROME

22. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm ... kinda like "Labs" have more bit victims than any other breed ... it's simply a matter of numbers ... they aren't an aggressive breed are they? :rolleyes:

I'll bow out now as this will ~only~ result in a flame war ... which is pretty much why, sadly I don't bother to post in the AV forum. :(

Steve

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I've been seeing advertisements for NOD in U.S. magazines for at least 6-12 months now.

Acadia

24. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    well it seems to me I'm not the only one as the only people I see sticking up for are either end users who dont deal with it accept on a couple systems.

Most of those running shops say the same thing I've been saying. Maybe not all of them but most do. If you ask me we see enough systems every week to know what we are talking about.

But hey who am I to say keep running norton it pays the bills thats for sure.

25. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i just wish that KAV would be as popular as pc-cillian at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.