Windows malicious software removal tool?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cloak-n-dagger, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I recently went to Windows update and it said I had one high priority update and that was the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool".

I was wondering what this tool is and how I can use it? Or is it something that works automatically? I'm using Win XP sp2. Thanks very much.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi - Yeah, I got that one today too. Last I heard, MS plans on issuing a fresh one every month.

As I understand it, you don't do anything -- it downloads, installs, runs, then uninstalls itself. That's assuming you're clean -- I'm not sure what happens if it finds malware, whether it tells you that or just cleans it (hopefully) silently.

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But I dont recommend it...When you've got things like BitDefender for Free On-Demand scanning, why use M$ tool?

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I like to have those little apps like this and stinger etc so I can take them to a friends computer if the need arises. Have a few retiree friends that occasionally find themselves in trouble!

6. Thanks for the help guys.

7. parkerbarrow

parkerbarrow Guest

MS, Stinger, etc. My question is are these duplicates or do some cover what others don't? Also, are there concerns about running all of the available free versions of Malware zappers, such as start-up time, slower processing, etc?

& btw -- I personally appreciate all opinions that were expressed, with the possible exception of the last part where people shouldn't express their opinion out of respect to others -- (?!)

People sensitive to OPINION, expert or otherwise, shouldn't surf chats for feedback. Sticking to looking for information exclusively from the product manufacturer, distributor or other source with desired credentials will steer you clear of these voices that seem to torment you.

For me, there's a wealth of information and opinions out there; all are valid and useful to me in some way. A post for someone to "Shut up" hardly premotes growth, personal or otherwise.

best of luck.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Previous post (off-topic) removed. I apologize to our latest guest poster for not having caught that one earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.