Spyware Blaster Host issues

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jbeau, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbeau

jbeau Registered Member

Windows xp , if this program is installed on your system with the above noted OS then the following is true:( if you do Any of the following; Format/re-install/repair/Fresh Install etc.) Keep in mind that as long as you have no reason(s) to re-install anything etc.. you can do it!
    You will NOT be able to create a Hosts Backup! and this is the message you will get:
    "You don't have the necessary Priviliges to Access the Host File even though you are the Administrator" :oops: "You don't have the necessary Priviliges to Access the Host File even though you are the Administrator" :oops:

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the bug report, but before I can investigate I have a couple questions (to clarify):

1.) What version of Windows XP is this on: Home, Professional, Media Center Edition, Tablet PC Edition, or Win 64-bit beta?

2.) What service pack did you have installed before doing the reinstall/etc. - none, SP1, or SP2?

3.) What service pack is on your Windows XP (reinstall) disk?

4.) Is that the exact text of the error message that is displayed? Because the only message SpywareBlaster displays, if it can't access the Hosts file (for whatever reason) is (exactly as follows):
    Error: You don't have the necessary privileges to access the Hosts file.​

Is that the message you receive?

5.) What version of SpywareBlaster are you using? 3.2?

6.) Are you logging into an account that has full administrator privileges?

7.) Have you made any security-related customizations to your system that could potentially be causing this?

8.) What other security software do you have installed? (anti-virus, firewall, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

-Javacool

3. jbeau

jbeau Registered Member

Hi;
    Win Xp Home. sp2
    It happened on both sp1 and sp2 does NOT matter I tested both.
    Further clarification is: I do NOT repair/use system restore. I do a Fresh Install and this is the case in BOTH instances!
    As far as which service pace it makes No difference I did both as follows:
    format hard drive/use sp1 cd and DOWNLOADED ALL UPDATES INCLUDING SP2!!; Same Issue!!
    Format hard drive/ install sp1 from CD and Install SP@ from CD!
    The error message is excatly as you quoted!!
    I use version 3.2 but this issue is the same for 3 previous versions also!
    I log in as Administrator because I am the Administrator!! This NEVER changes! Password Protected! No Remote Allowed!
    My security and related Services and Performance settings are Identical to my settings as they were when I installed SpywareBlaster Originally with the exceptions that the Services have been changed by Microsoft in the SP2 version and does NOT give rise to any issues from my end!
    Security Installations are as follows:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version(s);
    suite-5.5.062.011
    True Vector and Driver Versions =same as above
    Anti-Virus Vet=11.7.0.000
    Anti- Virus Signature DAT=11.7.8992.000
    Anti Spam is=4.2.1.2891
    Spyware Guard = ver 2.2
    AdAdaware Plus Se 1.05
    AdWatch Ver-1.05
    Hopefully this helps you and please fember I have done the above listed proceedures 15 times within the last year!!

4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Registered Member

hello, i had the same issue as seen in this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=411030#post411030
    except that my error message was exactly as the one Javacool has posted, ie,
    "Error: You don't have the necessary privileges to access the Hosts file."

and it was resolved when i unchecked"lock hosts file" in ZAP .

this is in ZAP>firewall>Advanced tab

Attached Files:

• zap.jpg
      zap.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
  5. jbeau

jbeau Registered Member

The only issue with Unlocking the Hosts is it leaves it Open for Attack and leaves the complete ZAP completely at risk with NO chance for recovery if it is and No recovery possible short of a Re-Formar of hard drive and re-Install. The Hosts file is ZAP's First line of defense and must be Locked to prevent Viruses from destroying the First perimiter otherwise rendering ZAP Hosts file incapacitated!!
    Good Luck

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That all being said....have you attempted what Lebowsky suggested in order to possibly alleviate the problem you are reporting concerning Spywareblaster ?

OT....where did you get the understanding you have concerning the Hosts file and all the damage you feel it will cause if it's not locked :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.