Poor Support from AVG(Grisoft)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mikel108, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Last week I decided to reload my AVG 7 Pro as a backup, since I still have 9 months left on my subscription. When I did an on demand scan with it, it found a virus called WIN32/MKar.K. It was a file from a new game I had put on 3 days earlier "Need for Speed:Underground". I was 99% sure that it was a false positive. It had deleted the file, and created a backup in the Virus Vault. I tried to send it using "Submit Sample", but for some reason the button is now greyed out(?). I sent the file through my Yahoo mail to them, which was scanned by their Norton(it was clean). I also did a scan at Jottis which showed only AVG finding a virus. I recieved a reply from Grisofts tech person, Jakub Sykora, stating that it was a cracked game and that I could probably not play it. This was not true. The game played great. My wife bought it for me for Valentine's day from Wal-Mart. Like most of you I deplore the use of stolen software. I emailed back with my disgust. Since then I have came across several others on the AVG free forum that are having the same problem lately as I am:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,24711,backpage=

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,24680,backpage=2

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,24591,backpage=2

I would post on the AVG forum, however if you purchase AVG you are not allowed to use the Forum o_O

I emailed their office with how disappointed I am with their Tech service as this was the first time in 16 months I had ever asked a virus question.

I have a shot from Jottis, as well as the email.I just don't know how to change them into approved file types. I can email them to any moderator if I need to.

Thanks for the ears! Mikel108

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Gee...Sorry Mike, Hope you have a better experience next time. Support was the Prime reason why I purchased PC-cillin leaving AVG...

I had a trojan named 'MusicSearch'...would come again and again...I asked their support how I could prevent it from coming...and they never replied.

Stephan123 is also having problems with Mkar virus, Mike, IT SEEMS NUMEROUS EA GAMES ARE BEING DETECTED WITH MKAR BY AVG.

I bet it was some file ending with _EZ.exe?

If you're looking for a new AV, I'd recommend F-Secure, eScan, BitDefender or McAfee.

3. mikel108

Yes it was the Need for Speed_EZ.exe

I am using F-Secure as my Resident AV. Just thought since AVG was paid for I would use it as a backup.

I restored the file. The game still works great. I really don't want to go through the whole restore thing everytime I use it as an ondemand, and AVG has no exclude file feature.

To be honest, if I had found Wilders a year earlier, I never would have purchased AVG. It worked well at first, but I was hardly using the PC, and AVG was cheap. I have certainly learned to do your homework first.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  4. Firecat

Hey, maybe you can help Stephan123 out:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=67197

he got it with Catwoman_EZ.exe and Harry Potter game's _EZ.exe (don't remember exact name)

It seems to be a false positive.

5. mikel108

Hey! I think I figured out how to post at least the email, still working on Jotti pic:

> mailto: technicalsupport@grisoft.com
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:04:34 -0500 (EST) you wrote:
    >
    > >User : Michael
    > >License : Removed
    > >
    > >My scanner found this file as Win32/MKar.K. It
    > deleted
    > >it and made a back-up file. The "Submit Sample"
    > button
    > >is greyed out for some reason, so I can't send it
    > that
    > >way.
    > >It is from a legal copy of Need for
    > Speed-Underground From EA Sports. Thanks
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --- AVG Technical Support
    < technicalsupport@grisoft.com > wrote:
    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > Thank you for your email.
    >
    > This file is original created by microsoft that is
    > on your disk after
    > installation of this game? Isnt it any crack?
    >
    > I suppose that it isnt possible to run this game
    > yet, is it?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Jakub Sykora
    > AVG Technical Support
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:32:07 -0500 (EST)From:
    Subject: Re: G#05159624 - False Positive
    To: "AVG Technical Support" <technicalsupport@grisoft.com>

This is a LEGAL copy of "Need for Speed:Underground"
    My wife purchased it from Wal-Mart for me for
    Valentine's day. I have a reciept. I never crack, if I
    did do you think I would have purchased AVG when codes
    are available for it. And the game plays perfectly
    well. Its just annoying to have AVG scanner find a
    false positive. I have included a screenshot from
    Jottis that shoe AVG as the only ones detecting it.
    Also I sent this email through Yahoo Mail which uses
    Norton and it did not find it either. Regards

6. Firecat

I dont think AVG pays too much attention to Jotti's...Lets see what the reply comes...I feel they might ask you for your receipt number of game, shop name and all, or maybe a photocopy of the game box picture, because I heard some people don't give up easily...

You see, Grisoft is very proud of its products. It might even tell you that it is a new virus which is only detected by AVG and highlight it all over the place...

If there's any way I can help you, tell me.

Regards,
    Firecat

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Sorry to hear your plight, but in your question to post the pic, you have to host it yourself, ie. http://www.yourhost.com/yourpic.png/jpg/gif or whatever
    Then use the little mountain picture with the yellow background to point to your file. Or just enclose the link in image tags:
    Code:
    [*img]http://www.yourhost.com/yourpic.png[/img]
    Just remove the asteriks
    HTH

8. mikel108

I will probably delete AVG and never use it again. This will cure the problem. If they could have provided a work around for the time being, I would have been happy. I am bothered by the whole stealing of software thing. I never use it as, I believe it will only lead to watered down products. I take a lot of flak from friends and coworkers who could supply me with thousands of dollars in stolen software. Yet I am the fool who pays for them to get it free because of my pride and morales. Then you have someone across the globe who, who is supposed to help you in your time of need, and all they can do is throw around alegations.

9. mikel108

Hi likuidkewl,
    I sent a PM to you through the board with my email. If I send you the pic could you post it??

10. Firecat

You're right. Nobody should speak such things without having accurate info on whether it is really pirated or not.

11. Firecat

Don't worry, Mike. Its the same with all of us. Its an evil world, the guy who does good is criticised for doing good and if he does not do good he is still criticised. Is this the bright future we'd dreamed of?

12. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Here is the pic:

Attached Files:

13. Firecat

I tested the _EZ.exe from FIFA 2002 World Cup at Jotti's and found nothing at all...maybe it just happens for newer EA Games?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Where do you all get these _EZ.exe "extensions"!? I have played many EA games and i haven't seen any such filename. Or is this just on USA market?

15. Firecat

I have the Europe editions of many EA games, and You'll find these _EZ.exe extensions in the 'Support' folder of your EA Game Folder...But none of mine were detected at Jotti's, so maybe its just the USA edition or its the newer EA games (I do not have Catwoman, NFSU)

16. mikel108

I just loaded my kids Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkzban(2004 issue).

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban_EZ.exe was found only by AVG as the WIN32/Mkar.K virus

----------------------------------------------
    Yes it is in the support folder : canadian/US edition
    -----------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  17. Firecat

Its also there in my UK editions (In India mostly we get European edition)...what do you mean by 2204 issue

18. mikel108

Ooops :rolleyes: typo.

I meant that it was a game issued in 2004. I live in Canada, so I believe most of our games originate from the US.

19. Firecat

Lets see..For games we have two major regions....

1)North America - US, Canada, South America
    2)Europe - Europe and Russia

Minor Regions
    -------------

1)Africa - Have their own edition
    2)Asia Pacific/Australia - Complex. Explained below:

Most companies base Asian edition on European edition, but there are a few who base it on North American edition...such companies usually have the same edition for Australia and Asia...The Most part of companies have separate Australian edition

Dunno why one should divide into editions, though.

20. Talia

Talia Guest

Oi I'm glad I found this site, I was just about to right my hair out of my head, Ran AVG free verison tonight like I normally do and up pops the Win32/Mkar Virus two instances of it.

I currently have Ultima 9 Accension (Another EA product) legal copy of course installed on my computer and good old AVG is finding the Win32/Mkar Virus in two places yet when both within the U9 directory. Now what I found funny was when I went to look for both of these files where AVG said they were on my Hard Drive lo and behold they aren't even there.... Did a windows search on them.. hmm Windows says they don't exist either.

This isn't the only problem i've been having since the AVG update the other day I used Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client and since the update I can't even get my email, it's not my provider I've spoken to them plus I can check my sons email and he doesn't run AVG.

This is very frustrating, I think it's time to start shopping for a new anti virus.

21. Firecat

You bet it is!

22. mikel108

On the AVG Free forums it was suggested ;) that the numerous people that have this problem should update to the latest database version.

I scanned my EA Games at Jottis, and guess what. CLEAN!!

All of the people that are supposedly running pirated software would sincerely like to thank you for fixing YOUR problem.

23. Firecat

Well Mike, I tried yesterday night too, to my surprise it wasn't detected from my FIFA 2002 World Cup. i figured that maybe an update fixed it, but I wasn't sure. Good to know its fixed. Lets hope AVG provides a fix notification next time.

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature Mike,
    Sorry to here about your troubles. The user Forum was a step in the right direction. But I can not believe that a paid customer can not use it. That does seem to be the case. Wow! :(

I agree that if their support is as lacking in help as the forum mods. it is a problem. I was nice here and appreciative of the help but look at the response here to my question. Pay close attention to experience of the one offering help. Mercuire=Antibody. :eek:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,18094,18111#msg-18111

I still use AVG so I am not slamming the product but I am concerned about the future. They could use a little more help I'm a thinking. :doubt:

Much better help here at the Wilders a shameless plug :D

25. mikel108

Hi mercurie,
    There are things that I like about AVG, the interface, ease of use, with pro it tells me what the update is for and it does a great job of healing. I also got great help 2 previous times from their techs in less than an hour, but it was for basic things that I did not understand.

I do not think that this thread really bashed Grisoft as far as their product goes. I will let others make up their own minds on its performance. I was just appalded at the response of the Grisoft Tech(named in first post) who was so caulus in his remarks. From many other posts on the free forum, as well as stephan123 it was very apparent that it was a FP. I never went to their tech people(emails above), and said "Ha. you missed this, you suck", I was genuinely trying to help.

It was fixed in todays release, although not listed on the website, BUT I did get this which was appended to the letter posted above.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please let me to inform you that problem, you have reported to us,
    was solved in today's update. Please update your AVG, then you does
    not have problems with playing your Need for Speed: Underground game.

Best regards,

Michael Bedrich
    AVG Technical Support

I will certainly accept this as Grisoft saying I did not pirate software. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.