PG 3.15 Issues

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by redwolfe_98, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i have issues with pg 3.15.. i use boclean, and with pg 3.15 running, boclean's pocessor usage, "CPU", triples to 30% (in task manager), and my internet connection speed drops from 3900 kbps to 3000 kbps.. (i am using a cable connection)

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi redwolfe_98,

Is that a steady 30% usage? I run BOClean and PG 3.15 on three systems and the pattern below is typical. On my laptop, the usage spikes do approach 30%.

Nick

Attached Files:

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

After taking a closer look, this is the pattern with PG disabled and then enabled (via the tray icon). The difference is noticeable.

Nick

Attached Files:

4. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i think i spoke too soon.. i reinstalled PG 3.15, and it is not slowing down my internet connection, at least, not for now.. however, in the past, i noticed that my internet speed was down, and when i disabled pg, it went back up.. and likewise, when i disabled PG, boclean's "cpu" dropped from 30% to 11 or 13%..

there is an issue with boclean's processor-usage.. yea, it flunctuates.. if i check for an update, and then boclean resets itself, the "cpu" drops, considerably, but then it will work itself back up..

even without pg installed, boclean's "cpu" can run high.. recently, i was running yahoo messenger and realplayer at the same time (without pg's being installed), and boclean was running at 22% "cpu"..

right now, it is running at 2% cpu, after checking for an update, and boclean's then resetting itself.. however, before checking for an update so that boclean would reset itself, it was running at 29% cpu..

without PG's being installed, boclean 4.12 would then typically run between 9 and 13% cpu (without programs like yahoo messenger or realplayer running)..

thanks.. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I'm on cable too and have not had any slowdown issues.

Nick

6. Howard

Howard Registered Member

BOCLean 4.12.002 is interacting very poorly here (XP Pro SP2) with PG 3.15 It is claiming a ludicrous amount of of CPU time ( I am seeing an increase of the order of 6x ) and a doubling or more of CPU Usage, spiking to 50-70% every 10 seconds. Uninstalling PG 3.15 results in an immediate return to more acceptable CPU figures for BOClean.

I have noted others in a BOClean forum elsewhere have seen similar unacceptable CPU activity from BOCLean 4.12.002 when running PG 3.x

7. Howard

Howard Registered Member

FWIW, I seem to have stumbled across a solution of sorts: excluding procguard.exe pgaccount.exe and DCSUserProt.exe in BOClean has reduced spiking in BOClean 4.12.002 from 50-70% to around 10-15% and massively reduced BOClean's CPU time whilst running PG 3.15

8. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Just curious but nick what program do you use to view the performance of individual programs like that?

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Matt_Smi,

I'm using Process Explorer from Sysinternals (as a Task Manager replacement). It does require "install drivers" permission in PG.

Nick

10. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Thanks, I will defiantly check that out, looks like a good program to diagnose problems like the poster is having. Does it need to be installed or does it just run from the exe?

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Just drop it in any folder and execute it.

Nick

12. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the tip. The reduction in CPU usage is substantial (from ~15% down to ~2%).

Nick

13. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to stick and the CPU 10-second spike slowly increases: for a reason completely beyond me, opening the BOClean exclude window and then closing it again has the effect of reducing the spike to the low level initially seen when actually selecting PG exes for exclusion. But it will climb up again. Hopefully the BOClean folk will come up with a solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.