Defender Pro AKA Kaspersky AV/Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RAV, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAV

RAV Registered Member

My zonealarm security suite with AV was due for renewal but thought I would go for a change. I purchased Defender Pro @ Walmart for only $19.99 and it is licensed for up to 3 computers. Includes Firewall, AV, as well as a few useless utilities.

The firewall and AV are obviously Kaspersky AV Personal 5 and Antihacker 1.5 and come with a 1 year license key for each. Seem to run smooth on my WinXP SP2 machine although SP2 security center didn't recognize the firewall so I shut off monitoring in the security center. The security center did recognize the AV and that it was up-to-date. AV updates are advertised every 3 hours but you can also adjust the program to every 1 hr.

The firewall seems pretty good and light on resources without much fuss. Not bad for the price. Anyone else use this product- Defender Pro 5-in-1 ?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can set it to update every hour if you want and it will also download and use the extended databases. The utilities really don't work that bad.

bigc

3. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Where do I download the extended databases and how to install/turn on? Do you also run the included firewall? I also wonder about updates after the 1 year, but for the price I was willing to use it for the year and go from there.

4. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I found the option to download extended databases and now have it working. I still can't believe the price for this program, but most people at Walmart have no idea about Kaspersky- the only go for Norton or maybe Mcafee. I don't really care for the "D" icon (rather have "K"), but this is the only difference that I can see is minor cosmetic differences to change the name of the program although it is now "powered by" Kaspersky.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Don't worry Defender Pro is a rebranded version of Kaspersky. Defender Pro is an excellent product given the price. Even here in India, Norton, McAfee rule and PC-cillin is eating up lots of market shares...Panda has a very small appearance..and Kaspersky is scattered...Only NOD32, eScan, F-Secure and BitDefender are found in abundance.

6. bigc73542

Click on settings and then configure updates see screen shot

Attached Files:

7. bigc73542

On the updates configure page just set yours like mine in the screen shot

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

Just in case you are interested the updates don't come from defender pro, they come directly from the kaspersky labs updates database. :D

bigc

Oh and let me know if you can't figure out where you can exclude files to have scanned. They are a bit tricky to find.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Unless they have recently changed their policy, for this price you only receive definition upgrades ( not engine upgrades ) and support may not be the best. http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=1707;st=0

So you have to balance these factors against the cheap price.

10. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

If you click on Blackcats link above.Go to page 2 and notice Lunte's comments. She stated she purchased" system mechanic 5 pro" and kav 5.0.277 came with it. System mechanic 5 pro retails for $69.95.

However you can purchase ithere for only $49.99. If you qualify for the rebate, it's only $19.95. Scroll down to item 33 here is system mechanics home page that describes the product better. click here

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  11. Mr2cents

Sorry, I got off topic a little bit. Everyone was talking about defender pro. I just happened to notice Luntes comments concerning kav coming bundled with "system mechanic 5 pro" Then I saw the low price at amazon if you qualify for the rebate. :rolleyes:

12. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

So BC what you telling here, Defender pro does not update these files at all.?
    elfbases.klc
    extr-cab.avc
    extract.avc
    kernel.avc
    krndos.avc
    krnengn.avc
    krnexe.avc
    krnjava.avc
    krnmacro.avc
    krnunp.avc
    macro.avc
    mail.avc
    malware.avc
    patches.set
    script.avc
    smart.avc
    etc.

Last time I checked program version has nothing to do with engines. Program updates are carried out to fix bugs, holes etc.

The KAV engines are included into the signature updates. Every time you update your signatures you also update KAV engines (extract.avc –extraction engine, unpack.avc – unpacking engine.

tECHNODROME

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Since KAV Personal 5.0 was launched, last April, there have been four version/program upgrades; v.121, .142, .156 and .227. The last of these was a maintenance pack, which was a major upgrade, including a new network protection module.

Therefore, as stated previously, Defender Pro, as far as I know does not update to these upgrades. However, as Technodrome pointed out, I should have referred to these as version/program upgrades and not engine updates.

14. Mr2cents

I would like to purchase defender pro. I can't find anywhere on the net to download it. It's not listed on wal marts website. I found "defender pro plus" at officemax.com for $10.00. My question is this. Is "defender pro plus" the 5.0 version of kav? Or the 4.5 Version? I found it Here r

15. bigc73542

wal-mart doesn't list defender pro 5in1 or the defender pro 10in1 on their web site but they do carry it in the stores. I see it there all the time. 5 in 1 $19.95 10 in 1 $ 29.95

16. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Target also carries it. Look in their single jewel-case, budget software aisle. Look close! ;)

17. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

FYI the 9.99 Defender Pro is 4.5 @ Target, Walmart.

18. Mr2cents

Thanks for responding bigc, and JimIT. I'll see if I can find it next time I'm at walmart. We don't have a target store around here right now. However one is being built as I speak. I guess the only difference in the 5 in 1, and the 10 and 1 would be one would probably have a firewall, and the other would be just the antivirus?

I'm still curious about "defender pro plus" It is only $10.00. I just wish I knew if "defender pro plus" is based on kav5? Or kav 4.5?

19. Mr2cents

Thanks for replying likuidkew. I know if I purchase now. It will be at walmart. I don't want 4.5 :D

20. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Not a problem I purchased it for a family members PC, it is still a good piece of software. I think the Defender Pro 2005 is 5.0 though. Best of luck!

21. bigc73542

defender pro 5in1 has five apps and defender pro 10in1 has ten apps see screen shot of 5in1

Attached Files:

22. bigc73542

10in1 screen shot

Attached Files:

23. Mr2cents

Thanks for replying bigc. Looking at the screenshots, 5-n-1 would be the one I would purchase. Hopefully I won't have to install the firewall. I like kerio to much.

24. bigc73542

I liked kerio also until I started useing the kaspersky AntiHacker firewall. I like AH very much, it seems to do an excellent job. And you can install the programs seperatly. The utilities also seem to work pretty well.

bigc

25. Mr2cents

Thanks for the info bigc. It's good to know that one can install the programs seperately. I may go to walmart and purchase it in the next couple of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.