booting from second internal Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mal76, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello All,
    yesterday for a try I restored a full C drive backup to an empty partition on a second internal hard drive. (this drive has 4 partitions).
    All went ok, so I could use it and open all folders.
    I then went into the Bios and made this disk the first boot.
    It booted up ok although 3 windows came up listed below.
    1. MIcrosoft Virtual C Runtime error Programme E:\windows\system 32\sychost.exe. R6025 Pure virtual function call.
    -------------------------------------------
    2. Generic Host for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close Tell MS etc.
    3. System restore has encountered a problem and needs to close tell MS etc.
    With regard to System restore when I attempt to open it the window comes up blank but if I open my C drive it is working ok.
    I had checked the hash with Karens power tools and all was ok.
    The restored drive had a bit of a strange feel about it but did work other than the 3 points mentioned.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to these three items. Should I be able to restore to the empty partition.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Mal76

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mal76,

Could you please clarify whether you have restored the image of the whole disk or of a single partition?

Also please check whether you had some system files on E drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    The restore was the Image of C drive within my C drive so not full disk.
    Disk is 80GB. Image was approx 6GB.
    There were no system files on E drive, I had formatted it before restore.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Mal76

4. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

This problem since to be rather complicated. Could you please creat Acronis Report and send to support@acronis.com along with the ticket to this thread? This will help us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya,
    where do I find the ticket to the thread.
    I have to say that although my emails are ok everywhere else, The last 4 that I have sent to Acronis have been unable to be delivered and notice has come back re. this about 5 days later. However if you can tell me how about the ticket to thread I will forward the report you request.
    Thanks for your help
    Mal76

6. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

I am very sorry for the mistake. I ment the link to the thread rather than a ticket to it (just a typo).

Please send me a PM with the e-mail you use and the answer from the mail server you have recieved. I will find out the reason.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya.
    Further to my post yesterday. I have sent the email to support together with the system info, but have not received a response, so I am assuming that once again my mail was not delivered.
    My email seems to be working fine here. I have not the possibility to send from another address.
    I thought I should let you know in case the information you requested I send,to Acronis support does not arrive,
    Thanks
    Mal76

8. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

I have replied to your PM however it seems that the problem is with your smtp provider rather than with Acronis e-mail server. Anyway I will contact a responsible person concerning the problem with your e-mail address. As a workaround I can suggest that you create free account at some mail server such as http://www.yahoo.com I suppose the problem with e-mail sending will be solved soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    My ISP asked me to send the headers of the emails which could not be delivered and ther reply is below.
    Additionally today I am unable to either ping or telnet support@acronis.com.
    I get the message unable to connect from telnet and no data available if I try to ping. I have asked my son to do do this and he has the same result.
    I am therefore still unable to send the sysinfo re. the problem of the title of this post.
    REPLY from my Email provider

Mail sent to support@acronis.com is timing out because the server handling the domain acronis is reacts too slowly to receive mail sent from our servers.
    The remote mailserver is so very slow that our SMTP server eventually gives up on it. The link is not too bad in terms of latency but the acronis.ru administrators need to fix their mailserver or perhaps upgrade it. If you are able to telnet to relay.acronis.ru on port 25 and you will see how poor the connection
    Thanks for any help you may come up with,
    Regards
    Mal76

10. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

I have forwarded this info to a responsible person and he will try to fix the problem. Currently I can only repeat the workaround of gettting the free e-mail account.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  11. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya,
    that was a quick reply. I do not wish to have free email account and as I said, my son has tried on his computer, and he also cannot ping or telnet support@acronis.com but as you say you have passed the problem on so I will wait to see what comes of that.
    Thanks a lot for your attention to this.
    Regards
    Mal76

12. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello all,
    At the moment I am still unable to email therefore cannot send acronis report. The mail still gets undelivered and I hear about this 5 days later.
    To clarify what my problem is.
    I made an image of my C drive which is a single partition. I then restored it to an active partition on an internal hard drive which had been formatted.
    I had previously verified that the image was ok and had explored it successfully.
    Having restored it I then made the restored partition /disk the first boot device.
    It booted ok and I could open folders etc. but I had one message come up RUNTIME ERROR. svhost.exe pure virtual function call
    Another Generic Host processor win 32 has encountered a problem and needs to close more info said DATA error szAppName Svhost.exe
    Also SYSTEM RESTORE Failed to start...Error signature AppName rstrui.exe
    Can anyone shed any light as to what this may be.
    I know some of this post is a repeat of an earlier one in this thread but I have added the error names, hoping this would help.
    Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
    Mal76

13. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

We are still investigating the problem with the e-mail delivery. I suppose we will contact you via e-mail soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Because of the way in which you've created this boot volume, is it possible that a mixed collection of references to C:\ and SystemRoot (which is now not C:\) within the registry is the root cause of the messages seen?

Blue

15. Acronis Support

Hello Blue,

The reason you have described is possible. In this case it is worth contacting Microsoft Support Team for the possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Blue and Ilya,
    Thanks for your replies.
    With regard to your suggestion Blue, is there a way to create a boot volume by imaging.to another disk or will the drive letters always be a problem.
    I understand the point you make about the drive letters. I am just trying to prove out an image without interfering with my main drive.
    Ilya I am unsure which point you refer to when you say the reason is possible and suggest Microsoft support. Do you mean regarding the drive letters.?
    Thanks to you both
    Regards
    Mal76

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If you do a straight image, some of this information is hard coded in the registry hives. That information needs to be revised to reflect the current root drive letter scheme. At least that's what seems logical to me.

Blue

18. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

I am sorry for the vagueness of the explanation. I ment that the fact that System root and C letters are different now may cause the problem. Microsoft Support Team could addvise you how to solve the problem of this letter difference resulted from the system transferring/copying.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

19. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Blue Zannetti,
    it's becoming clearer.
    I think sometime I will just have to try the restore to my main drive.
    As I have already said, my images seem to be ok in verify and explore.
    I never thought about the possible confusion with drive letters.
    I suppose that if I had to replace a main hard disk and restore to it then the drive letters are not an issue. (hope i'm right about that).
    Thanks for your replies
    Regards
    Mal76

20. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya,
    Thanks for the explanation about the drive letters and reference to Microsoft.
    Really I am just trying to prove that my image is ok.and was trying it to another drive. I do not need the copy on another drive.
    I suppose I will not know for sure unless I do a restore of my main drive, which at the moment is running fine.
    I'm hoping some light can be shed on email problem soon,
    Many thanks for your time with this Ilya.
    Regards
    Mal76

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.